IGNORED

WUDSN IDE: The free integrated Atari 8-bit development plugin for Eclipse

Did you know: Doing it right is alwyas more work than a quick hack?

Yesterday I invested some time into the graphics conversion again and gradually my port of the Fail library is becoming complete.

Almost all formats (incl. the 2nd HIP format I never knew of ;-) ) are now done, only TIP,ILC,INT,AP3 and CIN are missing yet.

post-17404-129735593394_thumb.pngpost-17404-129735619722_thumb.png

Wow - lost for words here, so just wow.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I managed to put the palette display and change part into a separate view with own controls, as well as the actual image display. Now it is much better to arrange the whole content on the screen. You can use the palette view like an outline and the image view supports both zooming and shrinking (switchable). Thanks to 0xF for the sample pictures of the remaining image formats. Maybe next week it'll finish them. The Java-Script conversion to convert images to binary format is also working meanwhile and it's reasonably fast (500 ms for 640x480 pixels). But next week I have to update to Windows 7 - I hope I won't break too much.

post-17404-129954256506_thumb.png

Yesterday I managed to put the palette display and change part into a separate view with own controls, as well as the actual image display. Now it is much better to arrange the whole content on the screen. You can use the palette view like an outline and the image view supports both zooming and shrinking (switchable). Thanks to 0xF for the sample pictures of the remaining image formats. Maybe next week it'll finish them. The Java-Script conversion to convert images to binary format is also working meanwhile and it's reasonably fast (500 ms for 640x480 pixels). But next week I have to update to Windows 7 - I hope I won't break too much.

post-17404-129954256506_thumb.png

I see boobs :love:

I mean - update looks really nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Sometimes it simply all falls into place when you don't expect it. Here's the result of 4 hours, first one to guess what it is wins ;)

It's not a 100% solution, but it turned out to be quite good for a start.

post-17404-0-89504800-1301477738_thumb.png

NRV: You win - and as long as you continue Project-M I can forgive you not to use WUDSN IDE ;-)

This was the result of a request from Jon's GUI Thread. I had planned it for a long time and the cool thing for me about WUDSN IDE as project is, that all things fit together better with every release. Suddenly I found that not only the parser for the outline but even the icon/label provider is excatly what I need for something else. Now I'm trying to finalize the new 1.6.0 version for this weekend. The list of new feature and fixes is getting too long to manage :D

WUDSN IDE 1.6.0 released

After 5 months I have completed a new major update of WUDSN IDE with a bunch a new features and improvements. Some of the new features like the graphics conversion and the content assist for identifier are still "beta" but already usable and useful. For example the syntax highlighting sometimes detects keywords within other words. This will be corrected soon. As usual you can install the update via the menu "Help/Check for Updates" and the update site http://www.wudsn.com/update. But now for the longest list of changes I've had so far :)

Features:

• .ENUM and .STRUCT are now displayed as sections with own icons in the content outline
  • .VAR and .ZPVAR definitions are now displayed as equate definitions in the outline, they will get their own icon in the next version
  • .PROC, .LOCAL, .PAGES and binary includes now implicitly end a definition section even without ORG statement
  • The expanded nodes and the selected elements in the outline are now stable. In case of structural changes, the selection is repositioned automatically to the next higher visible parent element
  • The bold and italic style of the syntax highlighting is now also visualized directly in list within the preferences
  • Separately configurable syntax highlighting for all types of identifiers and numbers. For non unique identifiers, the syntax highlighting will try to be a best guess

ide-assembler-preferences-editor.png
  • Altirra is now available in the preferences as standard emulator for the Atari 8-bit editors
  • All editor names have been extended with the platform like "ACME (C64)"
  • The toolbar icon for "Compile and Run" now adapts based on the hardware of the currently opened editor, for example it will show a C64 icon when using the "ACME (C64)" editor
  • The toolbar icon for "Compile and Run" now has a pulldown menu which allows to run the output file with any of the applications configured in the preferences. This way you can run the output file easily with different emulators without changing the preferences. That can be very helpful if one emulator show a different behaviour than another or in case you have specified a build script as user defined application in the preferences
    ide-assembler-run-with-atari2600.pngide-assembler-run-with-atari8.pngide-assembler-run-with-c64.png
  • MADS (Atari 8-bit) is the new default editor for the file extension ".asm" for new installations. You can change this as you desire in the preferences panel "General/Editors/File Associations"
  • Symbols file "*.lbl" is now only created if there are actually any symbols. An existing symbols file is deleted if it is empty
  • The graphics editor now supports viewing for all 23 Atari 8-bit image formats supported by version 1.0.1 of "FAIL (First Atari Image Library)" plus C64 charsets and sprites. This includes hires and muti color charsets, images with palettes and true color images.

Platform	File Extension	File Format
    Atari 8-bit	AP3	80x192, 256 colors, interlaced
    Atari 8-bit	APC	Any Point, Any Color, 80x96, 256 colors, interlaced
    Atari 8-bit	CHR	8x8 charset, mono or multicolor
    Atari 8-bit	CCI	Champions Interlace, 160x192, compressed
    Atari 8-bit	CIN	Champions Interlace, 160x192
    Atari 8-bit	CHG	Gephard Hires Graphics, up to 320x200, mono
    Atari 8-bit	CPR	Trzmiel, 320x192, mono, compressed
    Atari 8-bit	FNT	Standard 8x8 font, mono
    Atari 8-bit	GR8	Standard 320x192, mono
    Atari 8-bit	GR9	Standard 80x192, grayscale
    Atari 8-bit	HIP	Hard Interlace Picture, 160x200, grayscale
    Atari 8-bit	HR	Hires 256x239, 3 colors, interlaced
    Atari 8-bit	HR2	Hires 320x200, 5 colors, interlaced
    Atari 8-bit	ILC	APAC 80x192, 256 colors interlaced
    Atari 8-bit	INP	Interlace Picture 160x200, 7 colors, interlaced
    Atari 8-bit	INT	INT95a, up to 160x239, 16 colors, interlaced
    Atari 8-bit	MCP	McPainter, 160x200, 16 colors, interlaced
    Atari 8-bit	MIC	Micropainter 160x192, 4 colors
    Atari 8-bit	PIC	Koala MicroIllustrator, 160x192, 4 colors, compressed
    Atari 8-bit	PLM	Plama 256, 80x96, 256 colors
    Atari 8-bit	RIP	Rocky Interlace Picture, up to 160x239
    Atari 8-bit	SXS	16x16 font, mono
    Atari 8-bit	TIP	Taquart Interlace Picture, up to 160x119
    C64		64C	Charset, mono or multi color
    C64		SPR	Sprite, mono or multi color

• The graphics editor now supports conversion to the following 8-bit file formats using a flexible JavaScript based approach. Default scripts for most of these format are part of the delivery, more will follow.

ide-graphics-editor-image-to-files.gif

• The new image palette view associated with the graphics editor displays the palette entries and the color histogram. It supports filtering of unused colors, sorting by index and color frequencies, pre-settings and editing the palette when displaying 8-bit images

ide-graphics-editor-image-palette-view.gif
  • The file chooser dialog now has a hierarchical display including automatic positioning to the next suitable folder in the hierarchy
  • The content assist now recognizes if there is already and instruction in the current line and suggests the available identifiers instead if this is the case. This is the first version and it supports global identifiers in the current source file and source file included from there. Scoped identifiers of the form "a.b" are not yet supported
    The online help now contains the entry "WUDSN IDE Guide" which contains the overview of all tutorial videos and release news videos

ide-help.png

Fixes:

• Hyperlink navigation now also works for labels which contain an underscore
  • The key binding for the "Compile" menu is now "Shift-Ctrl-9" because it turned out that "Ctrl-0" is not available in all cases
  • The HexEditor is now also detecting the situation that the first block of a COM file is incorrect and display this correctly
  • Content assist has now correct new lines when inserting #IF, #WHILE and .TEST
  • Fonts and colors resources are disposed correctly now
  • Resetting to default syntax colors in the preferences works now
  • Elements of .ENUM are recognized as equates now also if they do not start of position 0
  • Elements of .STRUCT are recognized as labels now also if they do not start of position 0
  • Cursor is now position to the first character of an equate or label also if it is not defined starting at position 0

Site:

• New section tutorials added to the "WUDSN IDE" tab

Edited by JAC!

Yes, that's exactly the one in the screen shot. You could use it let's say for converting the icons of a monochrome windowing system ;-)

Using nested for loops you can put the resulting bytes in whatever memory layout yuo require. Tutorial will follow for the more complex cases.

Absolutely jaw-droppingly great. I'm currently using some tools written by Mr Fish in Turbo Basic to perform a similar job, although he also provided a program to turn the resulting Atari bitmap into RLE data (for The Last Word's loading screen). I'll probably be using RLE compression for certain elements of the GUI (the larger bitmaps; for example, the loading screen), so the ability to do this "in situ" is really useful. The ability to customize the scripts to produce bitmaps of custom sizes is even better again...

Short version: Just press "Create Conversion" to save the current converter choice and parameters as ".cnv" file. The editor closes and re-openes with the new ".cnv" file which as the image file as input. Now the "Save files" button is enabled (and "Create Conversio" is disabled).

Changes to the parameters or the script can be saves via the normal "Save" menu/button/Ctrl-S.

Actually it never was on the radar, since I do not use it/never used it. And without a good knowlegde about the assembler, it is impossible to provide a good parser/testing/IDE. That why I only included assembler with which I also familiar. Maintaining the support for currently 5 compilers is also an issue. And with latest additional to MADS I really don't see what can't be done or is missing at all (I only have the list of directives as comparision and they are more or less equal meanwhile).

Apart from that, the whole WUDSN IDE does no care about the actual assembler. All features are using an abstract compiler and syntax (sometime not when they come to life, but when they have become mature. You can add another assembler with 1 XML file and 3 more Java Classes. That's what Nick Westgate is doing for the Apple II support for example.

You can add another assembler with 1 XML file and 3 more Java Classes. That's what Nick Westgate is doing for the Apple II support for example.

Thanks, good to know - CA65 is part of the CC65 suite and so used across many 6502 targets. Might be worthwhile me checking for interest in contributing some effort from its mailing list users.

Isn't Eclipse ideally suited to CC65 development natively so to speak, with a little tweaking? I mean, can you set it up that way (regardless of WUDSN)?

@Jac: Thanks for that description regarding the converter. This is going to save me many hours. I really appreciate the work you're doing on this. I installed the update this afternoon, but haven't had time to play yet. :)

Great work again JAC, I really should stop writing my code now with MS notepad :)

CC65 support would be good, with thanks to Mark's advice I've been using cc65 in recent months working on other platforms (to bring stuff over to the Atari).

MADS is all I use Atari wise and 64tass for the C64.

• 5 months later...

Hi again. After several months of "real coding" for the "real machine" I've come back to continue WUDSN IDE development again.

Thanks to phaeron's support, the next version will contain the another thing which I never though would be possible when I started.

Integrated Source Level Breakpoints

By double clicking the right ruler bar or via it's context menu you can toggle line breakpoint definitions and enable/disable existing breakpoints.

The list of all defined breakpoints is visible in the "Breakpoints" and in the "Markers" view.

post-17404-0-48044700-1315085551_thumb.png

And when you press "Compile and Run", Altirra 2.0 is started with all breakpoint definitions, will automatically stop at the first one and enter source level debugging.

I don't think there has even been something like this for a 6502 assmbler coding. Especially not in "MS notepad" ;)

post-17404-0-55493800-1315085569_thumb.png

I know I've now even created the video tutorial for the last update, but be assured I will. I just had to present this littel teaser to motivate myself ;-)

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 3

Yet another teaser in preparation of my "Oldschool scroller demo with sound in 15 Minutes" tutorial which I plan to create be based on the next WUDSN IDE version:

Full support for all

ASAP 3.01 Atari sound file formats

Including multi-song files. So you can listen and check out the format/addresses to include the sound in your project directly in the IDE.

Thanks a lot to Fox for supporting me with his Java port of ASAP - Another Slight Atari Player.

post-17404-0-69236100-1315342273_thumb.png

• Like 1