IGNORED

Dingoo A320

hurt

I have just added a SD card to the system today and just noticed that the 4GB of space on the device does not support long file name support (A real pain for naming roms). The add in card how ever does support long file names! Looks like I will just be getting a nice big mini sd card for keep everything on it.

I have a longer discussion going somewhere on here.

Have your overclocked yours yet? You should look into it.

There are fixes for the emulators also to enhance and make them work better. You should download them.

There's also a few additional emulators available and homebrews.

Also some modifications such as a reset switch, better directional pad, etc. You should try some.

I tried to ask Ben Heck if he wanted to try a mod of this for me.. 7" screen, better batteries, maybe SVIDEO output, etc. I also thought we could have joystick ports on the front to plug in an NES, SNES, Genesis, or NEO GEO controller. This way when I am using it on the TV I could use a real controller.

List of community made emulators:

* Gameboy & GameboyColor

* NeoGeoPocket

* Sega Master System & GameGear(in progress, No Sound for now)

* WonderSwan & WonderSwanColor(in progress)

* PCEngine(in progress)

* Centipede & Millipede

* MSX(through GBA Emulation)

* Pacman & Ms Pacman (Arcade)

* Mikie (konami arcade game)

Is it emulating any Atari stuff yet?

No I have not tried overclocking it. I dont really have any issues with speed yet.

I am noticing a issue with games that would normally have a batter save state like Super PunchOut. They crash when the game tries to save to the battery. Hopefully another update to the emulator will be out soon and fix this.

Also games from SNES that used the FX Chip don't work. :(

Overall though it is a pretty great little system for the price and even just for NES games I am happy.

Not sure but I bet the linux version has some people working on porting stella to it.

A good dingoo forum... http://a320.freeforums.org/

Just got mine 2 days ago, haven't much time to hack at it. Would really like a 2600 emu for starters. Claims to have mp4 support, but the file I tested it with, didn't work.

I am pretty sure it comes with some sample mp4's installed on it that worked for me.

Yes a 2600 emu would rock! I really hope some more homebrew emulators start to come out for the dingoo os, but I have a feeling the linux booting will turn into the standard and most stuff will run under it.

• 1 month later...

I received my Dingoo A320 this afternoon and have spent maybe three hours playing with it.

Some observations:

- as a portable video player it is superb. I have thrown several video files at it in different formats: AVI, WMV, MPG, MP4, etc. It doesn`t seem to play FLV format (which I didn`t expect it to). Other than that, great: good picture, sound, playback. No stuttering or other problems on the various videos.

- the FM radio, text file reader, picture viewer, MP3 player, etc. all work well.

- the GBA and NES emulators are very good, but not great. I tried perhaps a dozen or so ROMs or so of each format just to see how they behaved. (Obviously I didn`t have much time to test them thoroughly.) About 80 to 90% of ROMs run without issue; a small minority of NES files just don`t seem to run (could be a bad ROM dump), and I found a couple of GBA files that stutter and have a jerky framerate.

- someone has ported a Colecovision emulator to the native Dingoo environment (it doesn`t come with Linux out of the box). This actually seems to run great, but with mediocre sound.

- I haven`t had a chance to test any of the other emulators. I`ll probably post an update in a couple of days.

- The instruction booklet is a very poor English translation and is next to useless.

In its native mode out of the box, the emulators and other apps recognize files by their three-letter extension. To put files on it, you just connect to a PC with the supplied USB cable, copy files to it as if it were any kind of a USB drive, and make sure the file extension is one that will be recognized by the internal apps (ie. *.MP3 for a music file, *.GBA for a GBA file, etc.)

The unit is very light weight, just a few ounces, and not much larger than a Gameboy Advance Micro. The screen is 2.8 inches on the diagonal, so about the same size as a GBA screen. The display is very good: well lit, clear and sharp, easy to view in different lighting and angles. No complaints there. The tiny speakers are fairly loud for their size, and standard earphones fit. I haven`t tested the TV out yet...

When I press on the buttons, or just handle the unit in general, it seems to have a solid, quality feel despite the light weight. It doesn`t seem flimsy or have creaky seams at all.

Overall I think that if you are looking for a small portable multimedia unit for watching movies while on a plane or bus, and want to play a few of your favorite retro games, this is what you are looking for. If you want a more serious gaming unit, you might want to consider hacking a PSP.

I think the A320 is ideal for me and I am happy with my purchase.

Edited by ls650

Other comments:

- the included Neo Geo emulator runs very well

- the hobbyist-written native emulators for the Colecovision and the Odyssey 2 also work well.

- the SNES emulator is so-so. Some games run well, some poorly, some not at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone out there working on an Atari 8bit emulator for the Dingoo or Dingux? There is a port of the Atari 800 emulator on Linux which with a little work can be ported over to Dingux, but my knowledge is limited on linux in general. I've tried a few times, but can't get the version up and running in Dingux. Anyone else wanna have a shot at it or already working on one? I'd love to see the Atari 800 running on this device!

• 4 weeks later...

A beta of an emulator for the Atari Lynx was released today:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-development/lynx-emulator/msg893/#msg893

It runs great with the native environment - no Dingux installation required!

I have tested it with a few ROMs of games I own; I find the emulator works very well for many ROMs.

- Blue Lightning, KLAX, BattleZone 2000, and a few others I tried ran quite well; I didn't notice any slow down other than some choppy title music in BL.

- STUN Runner has some messed up graphics; but is playable.

- Ms. Pacman runs about 15% too fast!

- "Lynx Diagnostic cart": when you push buttons on the button test, a speaker beeps like it should but the button display doesn't light up.

Awesome for a beta release! :thumbsup:

post-8320-125609253409_thumb.jpgpost-8320-125609199586_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the lousy quality of my cell phone pics... The quality of the emulation is quite good, with clear sharp graphics and smooth framerate.

Edited by ls650