IGNORED

Future Projects for the OpcodeGames Team

After DK Arcade and Arkanoid, my next project should be one of 3 games: DK 3, Elevator Action or Galaga.

I would prefer to see DK 3 for the simple reason that there was just the NES home port and it would be a huge feather in the ColecoVision's cap as a point of distinction.

And I hope to be around to some day be able to port Xevious, Pole Position and Moon Patrol, which I consider the 3 most advanced games from the golden years.

Moon Patrol has been done brilliantly on the Intellivision already, so, while I love the game, for me personally, I'd rather see one of the other two. Since the ColecoVision doesn't do scrolling great, I'd prefer Pole Position over Xevious, particularly since the former could be designed to support both the trackball and steering wheel (and the fact that there are Xevious-like games on the Coleco already).

As a side note mentioning the steering wheel, even though it's often blasted (mostly because of its buggy and somewhat unfinished nature), I really love the feel of "Destructor". It always seemed so unique conceptually to me and was a bit like a driving action adventure. It would be great to see a game like that. Barring that, it would be nice if someone could fix and enhance "Destructor" itself. But of course supporting niche peripherals is a long-shot for anyone...

After DK Arcade and Arkanoid, my next project should be one of 3 games: DK 3, Elevator Action or Galaga.

And I hope to be around to some day be able to port Xevious, Pole Position and Moon Patrol, which I consider the 3 most advanced games from the golden years.

My vote would go to Galaga. It would probably get the biggest positive response from ColecoVision fans, especially if you successfully manage to implement the sprite engine you talked about in another thread.

Beyond that, here's my own Opcode wish list, just for fun:

- Arabian (an old favorite of mine, there's just something charming about that game)

- Discs of Tron (the only Tron game I've ever really enjoyed in the arcades, personally)

- Joust

- Kangaroo

- Kung-Fu Master (that one would totally ROCK on the ColecoVision)

- Missile Command

- Pengo

- Vanguard

- Wizard of Wor

Edited by Pixelboy

I love DK3. That game is missing in the Atari and Colecovision library. I would buy that one in an instant.

-Jeff

I'd be interested to see Circus Charlie, and Crystal Castles (with a classic version as well as one with new levels).

If MAPPY could be done I'd be out buying a Colecovision right now! I love that game.

I have some future ideas for game programming the OpcodeGames team could do for us ColecoVision fans:

MY WANT LIST:

*Tron / Discs of Tron (Bally/Midway, under license from Disney, 1982)

**Note that the levels in Discs were intended to be part of the first Tron game, but time ran out before Tron with Discs could be completed.

*Scramble (Konami, 1981)

*Jungler (Konami, 1981)

*Loco-Motion (Konami, 1982)

*Circus Charlie (Konami, 1984)

*Track & Field (Konami, 1983)

*Hyper Sports (Konami, 1984)

*Pooyan (Konami, 1982)

*Donkey Kong 3 (Nintendo, 1983)

*Mario Bros. (Nintendo, 1983)

*Pole Position (Atari, under license from Namco, 1982) (to be used with Driving Module)

*Pole Position II (Atari, under license from Namco, 1983) (to be used with Driving Module)

*Food Fight (Atari, 1982)

*Crystal Castles (Atari, 1983) (to be used with Roller Controller)

~Ben

• 1 month later...

Looks like I'm one of those who didn't give yet an opinion on the subject here.

Why not taking a break of doing ports for a moment and make something completely new? Why not doing something personnal, at least for one game? with your programming skills and experience, it should be a piece of cake. I'll not suggest to make an educational game, but maybe something great like a real time strategy game... I don't know, surprise us.

• 4 weeks later...

There's another thread that was resurrected over the last day or so regarding the port of Death Race for the ColecoVision.

Apparently someone started working on this in 2004 but it's incomplete. I guess that with the talents found at Opcode they would be able to finish this one off, perhaps easily. From what I've seen in the emulator, there appears to be just some cosmetic changes and adding sound.

Thoughts? Any other gamers want to see Death Race ported?

There's another thread that was resurrected over the last day or so regarding the port of Death Race for the ColecoVision.

Apparently someone started working on this in 2004 but it's incomplete. I guess that with the talents found at Opcode they would be able to finish this one off, perhaps easily. From what I've seen in the emulator, there appears to be just some cosmetic changes and adding sound.

Thoughts? Any other gamers want to see Death Race ported?

For historical significance, you can't beat "Death Race" and its mystique. For that reason alone, it's a favorite subject of mine and I've had the pleasure of playing the machine at two different places this year. With that said, there's not much to the game, so it's a tough sell as a cartridge, even if there were a way to support two driving controllers. Perhaps one way around the lack of meat to the gameplay would be to offer "authentic" mode with the original style graphics and sound and an "enhanced" mode that's reskinned with hi-res graphics, sounds and maybe even music. Then there might be enough value there and then I think you'd really have something.

Anyone want to add these following game titles to the Opcode Games list of ColecoVision projects?

My hot sheet:

*Blue Print (1982, Bally/Midway, developed by Ashby Computers and Graphics Ltd., now Rare Ltd./Rareware)

*Pippols (1985, Konami, originally ported to MSX2)

*Exerion (1983, Jaleco/Taito, was ported to Sega SG-1000 and MSX1)

*Vampire Killer (aka Castlevania) (1986/87, Konami; VK was originally released for the MSX2 while Castlevania had been released for the NES in 1987)

*Mr. Do!'s Wild Ride (1984, Universal)

*Mr. Do!: Do Run Run (1984, Universal)

*Solar Fox (1981, Bally/Midway)

*Wizard of Wor (1981, Bally/Midway; CV release was planned by Coleco in 1983/84)

*Jolly Jogger (1982, Taito)

*Crazy Balloon (1980, Taito)

*Zoo Keeper (1982, Taito)

*Jungle King (1982, Taito; this game was released but was short-lived; two months later, it became Jungle Hunt after the Edgar R. Burroughs estate sued Taito for illegally using the Tarzan scream and character likeness; the reworked title was released for the CV by AtariSoft in late 1983)

*Galaga (1981, Bally/Midway, under license from Namco Ltd.)

*Faster, Harder, More Challenging Q*bert (1983, Mylstar Electronics)

*Krull (1983, Mylstar Electronics; was to be ported by Atari for the 5200 but disappointing sales of that console prompted a 2600 release instead)

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

I did take a look at Ben's hot list and if I avoid mentionning projects that I know will be released any time soon, Wizard of Wor could be interresting and somehow easy to code... except if you want to add voices in it which will requiert a module or to freeze the game to play them. Wizard of Wor was supposed to be done by CBS Electronics, and a few magazines from the past did mention the game like if it was a released game. Because it was one of the first games planned for the game system, I may not be surprised if a prototype was done. Some people will argue that voices are important, which is not my opinion. Wizard of Wor could be very interresting for the ColecoVision.

The last game in Ben's list I will consider having a port of it for the ColecoVision is Blue Print, because I don't like this game.

And my opinion is still : "try something original", something more closer to the 90s could be cool, like a real time strategy game, or maybe a game using raycasting like wolfenstein (each map are 64x64 tiles, ghostblaster's levels are 128x32 tiles).

Anyone want to add these following game titles to the Opcode Games list of ColecoVision projects?

My hot sheet:

*Blue Print (1982, Bally/Midway, developed by Ashby Computers and Graphics Ltd., now Rare Ltd./Rareware)

*Pippols (1985, Konami, originally ported to MSX2)

Pippols is actually a MSX1 game, but it has smooth scroll, which is a rare thing...

*Exerion (1983, Jaleco/Taito, was ported to Sega SG-1000 and MSX1)

*Vampire Killer (aka Castlevania) (1986/87, Konami; VK was originally released for the MSX2 while Castlevania had been released for the NES in 1987)

Castlevania is in my list. Not a port of the MSX2 (which isn't that great btw), but a kind of remake of the first Famicom/NES game called Castlevania Redux.

*Mr. Do!'s Wild Ride (1984, Universal)

*Mr. Do!: Do Run Run (1984, Universal)

I believe J-F is already working on some of the Mr Do! games.

*Solar Fox (1981, Bally/Midway)

*Wizard of Wor (1981, Bally/Midway; CV release was planned by Coleco in 1983/84)

Wizard of Wor is in my list. In fact it should be out already, because we had a contest long ago and people chose that as the next arcade game I should port. I never finish the port though, but should do once the OM is out.

*Jolly Jogger (1982, Taito)

*Crazy Balloon (1980, Taito)

*Zoo Keeper (1982, Taito)

Zookeeper is a favorite, might port eventually.

*Jungle King (1982, Taito; this game was released but was short-lived; two months later, it became Jungle Hunt after the Edgar R. Burroughs estate sued Taito for illegally using the Tarzan scream and character likeness; the reworked title was released for the CV by AtariSoft in late 1983)

Another favorite. The Atari port is good (probably the best available in the early 80s), but many elements are missing.

*Galaga (1981, Bally/Midway, under license from Namco Ltd.)

*Faster, Harder, More Challenging Q*bert (1983, Mylstar Electronics)

*Krull (1983, Mylstar Electronics; was to be ported by Atari for the 5200 but disappointing sales of that console prompted a 2600 release instead)

~Ben

Galaga is a sure thing... :)

Hot in my want-to-port list:

- Galaga

- Wizard of Wor

- Elevator Action

- Moon Patrol

- Rally-X

- Xevious

- DK 3

- Joust

- Time Pilot Arcade

- Zaxxon Arcade

- Gyruss Arcade

EDIT: Almost forgot: Mr Do! Arcade. The original is still the best, the Coleco version was ok for the time, but it could have been so much better...

So many games, so little lifetime... :)

Edited by opcode

And my opinion is still : "try something original", something more closer to the 90s could be cool, like a real time strategy game, or maybe a game using raycasting like wolfenstein (each map are 64x64 tiles, ghostblaster's levels are 128x32 tiles).

I agree with new coleco.

And concerning wolf3d , there is a good port of that game on the ZX Spectrum . The hardware of the ZX is relativly close to the coleco , so a port on the coleco could envisagable but may be with the opcode module. I think here 1k ram won't be enough...

I agree with new coleco.

And concerning wolf3d , there is a good port of that game on the ZX Spectrum . The hardware of the ZX is relativly close to the coleco , so a port on the coleco could envisagable but may be with the opcode module. I think here 1k ram won't be enough...

But it runs slow on a real speccy. It was designed for one of the fast Russian clones.

But it runs slow on a real speccy. It was designed for one of the fast Russian clones.

ZX Spectrum (aka Speccy), doesn't have sprites support... but many great games was done for this computer by simulating the sprites with characters. I find the Speccy games quite a good inspiration, not only the commercial games, but the games made reccently by fans. ColecoVision do have sprites support, but lack in RAM space. So, maybe the strategy will be different, but I'm pretty sure a raycasting game for the ColecoVision game system is possible.

As for the fast russian clones remark, I think the major difference is essentially a cpu 3 times faster. With great optimized algorithms and talent, a 3D ColecoVision game will be done eventually.

ZX Spectrum (aka Speccy), doesn't have sprites support... but many great games was done for this computer by simulating the sprites with characters. I find the Speccy games quite a good inspiration, not only the commercial games, but the games made reccently by fans. ColecoVision do have sprites support, but lack in RAM space. So, maybe the strategy will be different, but I'm pretty sure a raycasting game for the ColecoVision game system is possible.

As for the fast russian clones remark, I think the major difference is essentially a cpu 3 times faster. With great optimized algorithms and talent, a 3D ColecoVision game will be done eventually.

Getting Elite to run on the ColecoVision would be quite an achievement. But it's probably not possible to do with 1K of RAM and the slow VRAM I/O. I'd probably settle for a CV version of Activision's Star Master anyway. :)

Getting Elite to run on the ColecoVision would be quite an achievement. But it's probably not possible to do with 1K of RAM and the slow VRAM I/O. I'd probably settle for a CV version of Activision's Star Master anyway. :)

Actually Elite is available for the MSX, in fact it is quite good, better than the ZX version, so a CV port should be possible with the OM.

http://www.generation-msx.nl/msxdb/softwareinfo/2696

Someone did send me a private message suggesting me to do a game similar to Starmaster. Even if it's an interesting game, it's not my favorite Atari game. Yes, I do own an Atari console and a few games, and at least one new one ( QB ) .

So, if we can combine a 3d or pseudo 3d space shooter, like one part of the Star Wars Coleco game, and mix it with a strategy game like Star Trek Coleco game, you have a game similar to Starmaster, and can be a huge if done properly.

* : I saw the message by Pixelboy. And no, he's not the person who did suggested to me in private message about doing a 3d strategy space shooter.

Edited by newcoleco

Actually Elite is available for the MSX, in fact it is quite good, better than the ZX version, so a CV port should be possible with the OM.

http://www.generation-msx.nl/msxdb/softwareinfo/2696

Is that running in graphic mode 2? That's quite interesting, although I have to wonder if the CV keypad would be enough to replace the keyboard controls. I'm too lazy to check. :) I remember playing Elite at my brother's house when I was a kid, although I don't remember what computer I was using. I didn't have the manual, so my brother just showed me the basics, and I just shot down ships, warped around the galaxy, and sometimes picked up cargo just for fun.

a CV version of Activision's Star Master

Ugh-- off topic, but I hated that game-- way to complicated for me to find it to be fun. :)

Then stay away from Elite! It's 10 times worst! :D

So, if we can combine a 3d or pseudo 3d space shooter, like one part of the Star Wars Coleco game, and mix it with a strategy game like Star Trek Coleco game, you have a game similar to Starmaster, and can be a huge if done properly.

I would hardly associate the term "strategy game" to the CV's Star Trek, but yeah, I agree it would be huge. Have you ever played the Atari 2600 game "Solaris"? That would rock on the CV... :)

Hi ... I've more suggestions:

*The Oregon Trail - a computer program written for the Apple II in 1986.

*Sky Skipper - a rather obscure early Nintendo title, which although it never saw the light of day in American arcades, was released for the Atari 2600 by Parker Brothers in 1983.

*Radarscope - this was Nintendo's early attempt to storm the American arcade market, prior to the success of Donkey Kong.

*Bagman - a rather overlooked title from the Stern catalog.

*Berzerk - we know its sequel Frenzy did see a release on the CV; but who wouldn't want Berzerk for the same console, too?

*Marble Madness - this was one in the next wave (post-1984) of Atari arcade classics.

*Paperboy - another 2nd-wave Atari arcade classic.

*Gauntlet - Ditto.

*Girl's Garden - this classic for the Sega SG-1000 console was designed by Yuji Naka, who was one of the founding fathers of Sonic the Hedgehog.

*Xevious - this Zaxxon-style arcade classic was another Namco effort distributed by Atari here.

*1942 and 1943: The Battle of Midway - these two Capcom shmups were designed by Yoshiki Okamoto; who worked for said company after being fired from Konami, where he contributed to making Gyruss.

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

*Berzerk - we know its sequel Frenzy did see a release on the CV; but who wouldn't want Berzerk for the same console, too?
I'm not saying that I don't like the game, I have it for the Atari 2600, but I will not consider getting a cartridge of Berzerk for the ColecoVision, except maybe if it's part of a deal like a minigames compilation cartridge.

I'm not saying that I don't like the game, I have it for the Atari 2600, but I will not consider getting a cartridge of Berzerk for the ColecoVision, except maybe if it's part of a deal like a minigames compilation cartridge.

Not even if all the voice samples were included, and outputed via the Opgrade Module? I'm thinking those samples could take up a lot of ROM space, so there'd be no room for other games on the cart. :)

...I will not consider getting a cartridge of Berzerk for the ColecoVision, except maybe if it's part of a deal like a minigames compilation cartridge.

Not even if all the voice samples were included, and outputed via the Opgrade Module? I'm thinking those samples could take up a lot of ROM space, so there'd be no room for other games on the cart. :)

So a game that I love playing with my Atari 2600 (because yes I have one) that doesn't need extra hardware or voices to be consider a great game will need a special cartridge and a special module to be ported for the ColecoVision game system? I say, it doesn't need extra memory, voices, and module to be playable and fun, make it part of a compilation and I will buy it.
  • Like 1

I just looked up what it takes to do PCM with the PSG.

http://www.smspower.org/dev/docs/wiki/Sound/PSG

It appears that setting the PSG frequency to 0 will result in an "all-on" output similar to what the 2600's TIA can do.

The main problem seems to be that the volume control is non-linear, so you would have to run the original samples through a special conversion process to get non-linear 4-bit that wasn't too quiet. The higher volume samples might sound bad unless you designed your conversion to use all three channels, but it could be done.

The second problem is that 4-bit samples at 8KHz would take up 4K bytes/second, or 12K bytes/sec if you bonded the three channels together. For 4 seconds, that's 16K or 48K. That's still probably small enough for Berzerk.

The third problem is feeding the sound chip at an accurate rate. When I wrote my 2600 touch-tone dialer, I used WSync to have the 15KHz horizontal sync as a reference. There seems to be no such reference on the CV, so you would have to freeze the screen and use timing loops for audio.

On the MD/Genesis, you do have access to the H-sync, but you also have another sound chip with proper PCM support, and a second CPU to feed it.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin