IGNORED

Games that can't be beaten due to a serious programming bug

Inspired by the seriously bugged game 'Universal Hero' (A8) which can't be completed or clocked due to a bug in the game

Just curious as to if there were any other games (atari or non atari) that can't be clocked or completed because of a bug in the game (programming or otherwise)

Edited by carmel_andrews

Sometimes Destiny of an Emperor (NES) will glitch out and remove a key item from it's treasure chest making it impossible for you to get and therefore impossible for you to progress the game. There are a few half-assed solutions that are supposed to "fix" the bug, but if they don't work you are screwed.

Raiders of the Lost Ark probably has a place here, since you can't attain a perfect score at the end (which would be some folks' definition of "beating the game").

I've always wondered about Chuck Norris Superkicks for the 2600, and whether there's supposed to be an ending after you defeat the last of the invisible ninjas. Surely they can't have expected you to just stand there until time runs out?

If I'm not mistaken, Game 3 of Adventure is sometimes unwinnable due to keys being placed inside the castles they're supposed to unlock.

--Zero

It's true. I've seen it more than once.

A few come to mind....please correct me if I'm wrong...

Airball for the ST- I bet I spent 200 hours trying to finish this game. Awesome game though.

Gopher Attack for the 2600

Spindizzy Worlds for the 8-bit Atari- One of my all time favs!

Cavelord for the 8-bit Atari- Dead ends all over the place!

Rescue on Fractalus- It just keeps going and going.

90% of all the TI 99 4/A games! Like Slymoids and Parsec.

Raiders of the Lost Ark probably has a place here, since you can't attain a perfect score at the end (which would be some folks' definition of "beating the game").

Actually, you CAN get a perfect score in Raiders (by doing all of the positive actions and none of the negative ones). The fact that the maximum "score" still places you a bit lower than the ark itself on the final screen wouldn't make it any less perfect. There is an additional variable that never has a value assigned that is also figured into the score (i.e. adding zero points to the running total at the end of a game). What this variable was intended for is unknown...and likely to stay that way, unless a source code of the game is found that describes this variable.

Impossible Mission on the 7800 - really brought new meaning to "Impossible".

One of the pieces required to exit is hidden behind a computer or piece of furniture.

IIRC, the NTSC version has the bug, due to a build error. The developer came on here a while ago and noticed a discrepancy between his final code and what was manufactured. The PAL version could be completed. A hacked version in NSTC also is finished.

BTW: anyone remember this? I had the same question "why can't I beat the game ..."?

http://www.atariage.com/magazines/magazine...p;CurrentPage=4

Edited by DracIsBack