IGNORED

Look at my new controller - SIGMA Multi-Function 2100

Herbarius

So, today this thing arrived, which I got from ebay:

post-23067-1245260421_thumb.png

It's a "SIGMA Joystick Multi-Function 2100".

The seller wrote he didn't know whether it works or not, but it turns out it actually works. I payed only 5,90 EUR (~8,18 US-Dollar :-o ), plus the same amount for shipping.

As you can see it's kind of an arcade stick. It's completely microswitched and also has an auto-fire option. I don't really care about that, but it's nice to have anyway. The case is very sturdy, you might not gather it from the picture, but it's actually made out of metal, not plastic. The stick itself is a little bit disappointing, you see it's kinda small and it also feels rather "wobbly", but all in all it's okay.

It also includes a pair of Paddles, there is a small switch to change from joystick to paddle operation and vice versa. That's the most important thing for me, because I didn't have any Paddle Controllers yet. They also work well. The only disadvantage is of course, if you want to play with two players simultanously, it gets pretty crowded as both paddles are that close together. However I think if you turn the controllers 90 degrees and place the device on a surface like a table it should be okay.

The only thing that really disappointed me: The packaging promises an "extra langes Anschlußkabel" (=extra long connection cable), but it's just barely longer than a standard CX-40 cable - which is more like "very short".

So, today this thing arrived, which I got from ebay:

post-23067-1245260421_thumb.png

It's a "SIGMA Joystick Multi-Function 2100".

The seller wrote he didn't know whether it works or not, but it turns out it actually works. I payed only 5,90 EUR (~8,18 US-Dollar :-o ), plus the same amount for shipping.

That's a very reasonable price - maybe due to the slightly unusual name (the unit usually is named a "Multi-Function 2002") - as this metal beast usually sells for up to 20 Euros at eBay. I have yet to find out who actually produced these joysticks, as they (and their smaller, non-paddle "1001" counterparts) were sold under at least three labels: "Elite" (the Karstadt OEM label), "Sigma" (AFAIK the Kaufhof OEM label) and "Micro-Händler".

Thorsten

Edited by Thorsten Günther

• 5 weeks later...

I'm bouncing this thread because since I got it, the controller got worse.

The joystick is a lot more stiff than it was when I got it, also it does make "unhealthy" noises when moved.

I thought about using bicycle oil to lubricate it, shall I proceed or do you have any objections?

Edited by Herbarius

• 8 years later...

I've recently acquire the same joystick. It has been modified sometime in the past with a gameport 15 pin cable (for PC). It works.

But: has anybody a picture (or sketch) to share please of he internals with a db9 cable as I can't work out how to reverse it back to db9 pins? (for use with atari 2600).

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Edited by sprazzi

• 3 months later...

Hello sprazzi,

I just registered to help you (and others who maybe stop by here somday).
Enclosed fotos of the internals.

My pcb is a little damaged (by the previous owner) - but it works fine.

Important for you:

The pcb wants the following contacts of the plug in the top row

1 2 4 3 8 6 5 9 7

(Note that 3 and 4 are swapped. They made a mistake annotating them on the pcb.)

You can find the plug pinout easily on the web by searching for: atari joystick pinout

As always make sure to distinguish between plug and socket pinout as they are mirrored.

the plug should be like this:

5 4 3 2 1

9 8 7 6

It should be easy to use a new 9-pin cable. I just changed it myself because as I got this joystick "left" didnt work. First I thought its the micro-switch, but as it turned out it was the cable. I changed it and all is good now.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards from Austria

cordiali saluti d'Austria

Stefan

post-65978-0-26371400-1536884957_thumb.jpg

post-65978-0-38817400-1536884963_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nightshft
  • Like 4