IGNORED

Kool Aid Man questions

benjam138

1. It does. Check your left difficulty switche and make sure it's in the B position.

Tempest: I've tried this and it still doesn't work on my 3 Jr.'s It looks like it will work as Kool Aid Man breaks through the wall, but when the game starts, You just get bounced back and forth and can't move. I don't really have to worry about it now that I have an older model Atari, but was just curious.

It's due to a slight difference in some Jr's TIA. It causes the sprite positioning to be off in Kool Aid Man. My theory is that the sprite positioning problem makes the score digits overlap, causing the collision register to always be triggered and making the game unplayable.

The problem also affects the score in Thunderground, but IIRC Thunderground is still playable.

-Paul

Paul is right. There is a small difference in the TIA that is used in some 2600 Jr and 7800 consoles. Kool Aid Man uses an unusual way to position the score display, which results in the uncorrect placement of the score digits on some systems. In z26 we have to cheat a little bit for this game to position the score properly, and that way make the game playable at all. Because otherwise the collision detection is constandly triggered, as Paul already said.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

OT @Paul:

I really like your latest project and have a question: What frequency range is the printer capable of? I guess there shoud be big differences here between fast and slow printers, right :?:

OT: I'm not sure yet. Getting control of the print head is my next goal, so I should know soon. Some of the stuff in the printer (like the print head) is controlled by custom chips that I only have partial documentation on, so it takes a little reverse engineering to get it going.

-Paul

Paul is right. There is a small difference in the TIA that is used in some 2600 Jr and 7800 consoles. Kool Aid Man uses an unusual way to position the score display, which results in the uncorrect placement of the score digits on some systems. In z26 we have to cheat a little bit for this game to position the score properly, and that way make the game playable at all. Because otherwise the collision detection is constandly triggered, as Paul already said.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

I checked the Koolaid Man on my 7800 and it plays just fine. I guess not all 7800 has this problem. FWIW the 7800 I have plays the finicky games like Robotank and Decathlon and even Supercharger without problem. I haven't tried 2600 Dark Chamber to see if it works properly or not.

If you put the first player in diffuculty position B and player2 difficulty in postion A and then move the Atari2600 Jr.'s tv type switch to B&W you will be able to play Kool-Aid Man without being bounced all over the map, just thought I'd insert my two-cents here, or is it more due to inflation by now?

• 18 years later...
On 10/3/2002 at 10:02 PM, Paul Slocum said:

It's due to a slight difference in some Jr's TIA. It causes the sprite positioning to be off in Kool Aid Man. My theory is that the sprite positioning problem makes the score digits overlap, causing the collision register to always be triggered and making the game unplayable.

The problem also affects the score in Thunderground, but IIRC Thunderground is still playable.

-Paul

Does it work with the color switch in black and wight???

On 10/4/2002 at 3:31 PM, RichG1972 said:

If you put the first player in diffuculty position B and player2 difficulty in postion A and then move the Atari2600 Jr.'s tv type switch to B&W you will be able to play Kool-Aid Man without being bounced all over the map, just thought I'd insert my two-cents here, or is it more due to inflation by now?

that really works??

I haven't had a working jr in ages, but my 7800 will do the bouncing. If it wasn't packed away I'd try the switch settings on my 7800.

Supercharger problem is that the dust flap pegs are part of the circuit board and are to long to let the card edge get a good connection in the 7800's port, outside of that I'd imagine it works, if it fits your console, that's great.

On 10/3/2002 at 6:50 PM, benjam138 said:

1. Why doesn't Kool Aid Man work on a 2600 Jr.?

2. Was Kool Aid Man sold in stores or just through Kool Aid Mail Order?

That's all. Thanks in advance! -Ben

it seems to me the Kool aid man will work a  a long rainbow atari 2600 

since i watched a video of a guy playing it on a long rainbow jr

and i have a copy of the game and it works on my long rainbow jr