IGNORED

the DS-i is a rip off.

Poopopyo

What's so great about it?? It doesn't necessarily have any improvement over the normal DS. It's not like this thing will have a whole library of games specially made for it. Sure it has a camera, but look at the freaking bottom and what do you see?? nothing. No GBA slot which means if you traded in your GBA for a DS and traded your DS for a DS-i. I guess you can just toss away all of your GBA games.

And who came up with the colors for the system?? Wisdom Tree :ponder: ?? Why is the DS-i only made with 2 colors anyway?

I think this almost a bigger scam than the PS3. Really, you can buy a blue ray player and a wii for less than 599 US dollars 599 US dollars 599 US dollars 599 US dollars 599 US dollars 599 US dollars 599 US dollars giant enemy crab. You can buy a digital camera and a DS for the price of a DS-i, and heck, throw in a GBA with that.

Hahahaaha you can take a picture of your friend and mess up their face. It's called get a camera and Adobe Photoshop.

I don't view the removal of GBA compatibility as a loss, the button layout isn't ideal for many GBA games like the Mario Advance series due to the inability to remap buttons thanks to A & B on the GBA being rigidly mapped to A & B on the DS pad just to keep the letters matched...

My DS's have seen little GBA use, but being unable to map the GBA B button to the Y button and A to the B button (A configuration companies like Nintendo often switched to on the SuperNes with two button games like Super Mario All-Stars) effectively renders it as just a novelty for me when I have the excellent SP2 here for playing GameBoy titles. Many games just aren't comfortable to play on it, my thumb can't comfortably hold down the run button and jump in those games on a DS. Not to mention on the Lite, GBA carts stick out of the system.

And I don't see why the colors should play into it (And I'm puzzled why you find something wrong with white or black, there must not be many consoles and portables that you like since those colors are so common).

And I don't feel sorry for anyone that traded in a DS lite for one while wanting to continue playing GBA games. Maybe next time they will spend 5 minutes doing research prior to making a purchase, or at least read the back on the box before buying one.

I like the DSi. I like that the screens are bigger, the feel of the handheld and the changed d pad and buttons feels better to me than the DS lite, I think DSiWare has a lot of potential, and the internet browser and music playing capabilities could come in handy (I've used those functions on the PSP a good bit, no sense getting up if I'm laying back in bed just to turn the PC on to check AA or my email, or getting my MP3 player out to play music if I decide to do something else after playing a game; though I hear it doesn't playback mp3 files which sucks). I also like that I don't have to power it down now just to switch games.

Besides finding it unfortunate that they didn't integrate DS rumble into the system for racing games, I'm pleased. Plus my DS rumble pack gives me something to keep dust out of my original DS and a reason for keeping it around, though I regret picking up a DS lite last Christmas now. Maybe I'll import a DS lite rumble pack from Europe that sits flush in it so I can play games like TOCA, Grid, and the upcoming Dirt 2 with the nicer screens of the DS lite.

I'm more angry with their policies. I've wanted that Intellivision compilation for several years and they're not allowing it to be released as a DSiWare title due to some stupid policy that forbids emulation in DSiWare games.

Edited by Atariboy

If you're a Guitar Hero fan, then yeah it is sort of a ripoff. Otherwise, I think the DSi is a promising system that expands quite a bit on what the DS system can do. While it's unfortunate we lose the ability to play GBA games, it always seemed to me like the GBA SP had a better button layout for those games. That's typically what I use to play GBA games on, and only on rare occasions do I play GBA games on the DS, which is more of a convenience than a preference.

The DSi has seemed to have taken a sort of "middle ground" between what Nintendo usually does (which is offer backwards-compatibility on handhelds) and what Sony is doing with the PSP Go (completely eliminate backwards compatibility with its own system library by ridding its disc media drive). In this case, however, Nintendo isn't doing away with its DS cart slot, thus breaking compatibility with all previously released DS titles. Only a few title are affected (i.e., the Guitar Herio games, and those games that feature rumble of course won't rumble on the DSi), but in return we have the ability to do more with the system, use SD cards to store stuff, and download software off a shop channel which the previous DS consoles can't do.

In short, while Nintendo taketh away, at least they do give a few things in return. Not really a rip-off if you already own a GBA of some type.

I think this almost a bigger scam than the PS3. Really, you can buy a blue ray player and a wii for less than 599 US dollars 599 US dollars 599 US dollars 599 US dollars 599 US dollars 599 US dollars 599 US dollars giant enemy crab.

have I missed something? This whole section fails to make sense on a good half dozen different levels.

Edited by Reaperman

And I don't see why the colors should play into it (And I'm puzzled why you find something wrong with white or black, there must not be many consoles and portables that you like since those colors are so common).

I'm pretty sure the DS-i only comes in this weird baby blue color and black, not white.

I think this almost a bigger scam than the PS3. Really, you can buy a blue ray player and a wii for less than 599 US dollars 599 US dollars 599 US dollars 599 US dollars 599 US dollars 599 US dollars 599 US dollars giant enemy crab.
have I missed something? This whole section fails to make sense on a good half dozen different levels.

It's a joke from the PS3 E3 press conference.

I only saw the baby blue one, and black ones at walmart, luckily I like black, so that is what I would have went with....if it was BC, however, I won't buy one, as it's not even fully compatible with DS games and accessories, someone mentioned it won't play MP3? WTF is up with that?

Pluss, hell, even today, I see far more people playing GBA games on the thing than will ever play DS games on it, so yeah, takeing out the cart slot is kind of a dumb move.

I won't ever be buying one, and yeah, Photoshop is hella expensive, but for something you'll use once or twice, and never again, just download a free trial of it, no big deal.

As for the PS3...uh...no, when it released, it cost more for a standalone BR player than it did for the PS3....of course, this is true today, as I can buy BR players under $100 all day long, get a 360, and still have enough for games left over for what the PS3 currently costs. :P What helped sell systems at first, is now more a hinderance than anything. Good thing Sony won the format war, otherwise the PS3 would have probably gone completely under.

I don't know how taking away BC like Sony did with the PS3 is acceptable to anyone..................why would anyone choose to buy a DSi over a DS Lite? The camera (you have to be kidding!)?

Here's the thing, for the price differenc, they could have put a Good 8MP or higher camera in it (and sitll made money), and yet they put in a crap 1 and 3 MP camera? Fuck that. I carry a real camera with me anyways, so :P

I don't know how taking away BC like Sony did with the PS3 is acceptable to anyone..................why would anyone choose to buy a DSi over a DS Lite? The camera (you have to be kidding!)?

Because they're buying it to play DS games on? Playing Game Boy Advance games is what Game Boy Advance handhelds are for. If I want to play a GBA game, I'll play it on the SP2, which is smaller and more comfortable, has a superior button layout for GBA titles, GB/GBC compatibility, GBA carts sit flush in the system, and still has an excellent screen.

The DSi has several nice features over the DS lite. Superior controls in my opinion compared to the Lite, a larger screen, DSiWare, a internet browser, etc.

Edited by Atariboy

I like it but am tired of black (both my ds lites were black) and hate the blue they have right now so I want more colors. Also I'd like them to discontinue the regular ds or cut prices on both at least I don't want to pay more than 130-150for one.

backwards compatibility is overrated. i buy current gen systems to play current gen games. if you already have a ps2, what does it matter if the ps3 has bc or not? does a ps2 really take up that much room?

want to play gba games? the system can be had for pennies on the dollar.

I will throw in my 2 cents. The DSI has the following upgrades:

a faster cpu speed

brighter and bigger screens

sd card for storage of DSI downloadable games/music and pics

ability to play music and browse the web out of the box

the two cameras

and it has a lighter and thinner form factor

The cameras aside from being used in games don't do much for me. I have a similar camera in my cell phone I rarely use. THe music playback is also a non feature since I have an iPod for that and the bulky DS would not make a good music player IMO.

I would definetly get a DSi if I didn't already have a Ds lite but I have a DS lite with a flash card so I am pretty happy with that combination for now. I will eventually get a DSi but so far (aside from the brighter and bigger screens) none of the new features are very compelling (yet). Of course as soon some cool games come out for the "DSi only" I will change my tune and pick one up (and eventually I will get one regardless when the price comes down in a year or so if only for the better screen tech). Already I've seen previews for a ghost game that looks promising which uses your actual surroundings for the games backdrop, it looks pretty cool.

About the colors, just wait there will be plenty of different colors coming out.

As far as GBA compatibility. That is a non issue. I love GBA gaming, but I never play GBA games on my DS anyway there are too many great DS games. I have a GBA Sp2 which is much better IMO for GBA gaming and when I am in the mood for those games that is what I use. I still think the GBA SP (especially the back lit model) is better than DS in one area: portability. I rarely take my DS anywhere and mostly play it when I am lying in bed or on the couch. My GBA SP fits in my pocket and it is just the right the size to take to work or in the car on long trips (if someone else is driving lol).

The only area I can see where people might be upset is if they have a lot of titles that use GBA add ons, personally I think the rumble pack is pretty over rated and rarely use it, but there are games that use the GBA port like Guitar Hero, some exercise game (uses it for rf transmission of special pedometer) and I'm sure a couple others... that is a bummer, but it seem's a small price to pay. I suppose if you really love those games then keep your ds lite.

I don't really see how the DSi could be viewed as a rip off and I recommend one to anyone buying a DS now. If they were out last year I would of picked up a DSI instead of a DS lite to replace my old DS phat.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

I see both sides for getting a DSi or not but my 1 question is ..Is the Wireless bee upgraded to WPA instead of WEP?

BIGGEST neg of the DS is If I want to go Online I have to manually change my router to WEP

Don't bother trying to understand, he's never played the damn thing if the first thing that comes to mind when he thinks "PS3" is the E3 enemy crab demo.

What else do you hate btw? If you still want support for a 10 year old system in your new handheld, you must have a CRUD load of complaints on every system ever made. I'm sure your still one of the 14 people still out there complaining about the lack of DVD functionality with the Wii. :roll:

Okay, my input. I haven't found a valid reason for a DSi for a few reasons, but NONE of them are anywhere near what the dolt that started this thread.

Okay, the DSi Shop is impressive, and is a stab at the PSP's ability to access the Playstation Store. However, I don't feel a need to bother there. Nothing to special. Yes, the DSi Has more built in ram for running things like the DSi Browser (Incedently is the same crappy Opera Browser released for DS/DS Light). Right now, the DSi has no amazing features I need.

You want to know why now? Here goes. To play music, videos, and specialty apps, I have the R4DS. I used to have the Datel Games N Music, but wanted more. With the R4, I can play MP3's, watch videos thanks to very well designed home brew apps, and I can download various roms and such. Now the camera, right now, is very niche, and hokey. Perhaps there will be games released that use features to utilize the Camera, but we will have to wait a year for that. The overall shape, and design of the DSi is not much difference from the DS Lite. I am not concerned again. Yes, the screens are "bigger", but by very very little. Nothing really revolutionary there.

ON the homebrew scene, the GBA port has become quite a nice piece. There are memory expansions, GBA emulation software to play GBA roms, rumble packs, and more.

If you don't want something, come up with some REAL reasons as to justify it, don't just lambaste it.

I couldn't say if it's a rip-off or not, because I don't have a DSI and dont plan on getting one.

I do know if my current DS broke, I get another one just like I have because I use it to play my GBA games. I do have a GBA, but its one of the first ever made and the screen isn't backlit so it's a bitch to play games on. Did the later models come with back lit screens? Not that it matters, I wouldn't get one. Why would someone when they can get a standard DS and play GBA and DS games as well?

I couldn't say if it's a rip-off or not, because I don't have a DSI and dont plan on getting one.

I do know if my current DS broke, I get another one just like I have because I use it to play my GBA games. I do have a GBA, but its one of the first ever made and the screen isn't backlit so it's a bitch to play games on. Did the later models come with back lit screens? Not that it matters, I wouldn't get one. Why would someone when they can get a standard DS and play GBA and DS games as well?

Late model Game Boy Advance SP's featured a backlit screen of equal quality to the DS lite. Was launched along with the Micro (With a similar quality screen), predating the launch of the DS lite by 2 or 3 months.

It really is the best way to play GameBoy games on the go. Lighter than a DS, more portable, superior button layout for GBA titles, GB/GBC compatibility, no cartridges protruding from the system, etc.

Of course none of my handhelds ever leave the house, but I think the SP2 is the best handheld to date. I'd lose my two DS's and PSP's before ever giving that thing up. Gets more use than either the PSP or DS does, and the GBA library is unrivaled and I don't see either ever eclipsing it.

I'm glad I bought one a few years ago, almost skipped over it since I owned a Super GameBoy and a GameBoy Player for the GC and knew I'd never really have a need to take it with me.

Edited by Atariboy

To tell you the truth, I have no problem with a system not having BC (or any other feature, for that matter, no DVD for Wii or Gamecube anyone? ) However, I DO have a problem with features being removed (for any reason) on minor iterations of devices. No GB support on GBAMicro, No PSX/PS2 on newer PS3, no UMD on PSP Go, no GBA on DSi, these aren't new consoles, just slight revisions of preexisting ones that have had a feature removed. I suppose on carts, like GBA, it's not particularly important, but on disc systems? You bet there's a good reason to have BC, as the older systems are going to fail much more quickly than non moving cart systems. (I went through no telling how many PSX systems, and now have precisely one PS1 stillworking, and a PS2 that hasn't been hooked up in nearly 5 years, which may or may not work, and a distinct lack of a PS3, due to price :P )

If your older DS model were to break, I would recommend the Lite version. Brighter screen, and control of brightness, larger screens than the original DS and it still has the GBA port. Top that off with being smaller than the the original DS

If your older DS model were to break, I would recommend the Lite version. Brighter screen, and control of brightness, larger screens than the original DS and it still has the GBA port. Top that off with being smaller than the the original DS

The screens on the DS Lite are brighter but the exact the same size as they are on the DS phat.

I have the DS Lite, When I said original, I ment I didn't have a DSI....But yeah I guess I don't have an original so I lied!!

I have the DS Lite and I would take it over a GBA with a back lit screen because it plays DS games.

If I had my choice of a slightly larger screen, or playing DS games, I'll take the later.

Edited by moycon