IGNORED

A VCR hint/question

guyjin

As some of you may be aware, it's possible to 'convert' an old RF only console to AV by running it through a VCR. (it doesn't make the picture any better, but it may be more convenient for your gaming setup.)

I recently tried this with my 7800 and an old VCR. Vintage 1985, I think. Point is, it doesn't auto-tune channels like modern ones, you have to use a tiny jog dial to 'program' each of the channel selections. I had some difficulty with this at first, because it took me a while to find the proper tuning, but even then the picture was very snowy. I tried without luck to tune the snow away, but all I got was static.

Anyway, I'm not sure why, but turning the 7800 off and then back on again corrected the snow problem. Works fine now.

Anyone have any idea why this is?

The problem could have been with the 7800. My 2600 that's hooked up through an "autotuning" VCR (with its own quirks, like how since it doesn't actually have an antenna, it doesn't think there are any channels to tune to) and occasionally the picture will be snowy. I powercycle the 2600 and it often clears up.

You may just be getting interferance from something else (not necessairly a channel, could be the TV, or the Fridge)

I remember way back when I had my first color TV, and IT had to have each channel individually tuned in, it sucked, what the hell kinda moron thought of that anyways?

I personally use a Pelecan Switch Box, they do S video and AV, and will convert cable to AV, so I use one of those for all my old games, just wish I could find a RGB or HDMI variant of the thing that didn't cost $100 or something (the pelicans cost like $20 new so....) Nice product, fairly easy to find at most game stores or walmart, I'd suggest picking one of those up.