IGNORED

Swordquest

alphawiz

Three things I've always kind of wondered about, and never really found information on.

1 - Does anyone know the whereabouts of the two jewel encrusted SwordQuest prizes that were awarded? The Talisman, and the Chalice? Are there any pictures of them anywhere?

2 - I was never really all that lucky finding the clue screens. Has anyone ever seen a walkthru or formula sheet for which items had to be carried/located at in order to get the clues? The only thing I ever saw were the correct clues for Earthworld (SPIRE IN TOWER TALISMAN FOUND) and Fireworld (LEADS TO CHALICE POWER ABOUNDS)

3 - In Earthworld, there were items that allowed you to slip right past Sagitarius' spears, Taurus' horns, and

But I'd like to be able to get them in the game myself.

1 - Does anyone know the whereabouts of the two jewel encrusted SwordQuest prizes that were awarded? The Talisman, and the Chalice? Are there any pictures of them anywhere?

As I recall, Steven Bell told me that he had the Talisman melted down by a coin dealer for cash, although he kept the little sword from it.

I have the Chalice in a bank vault (safety deposit box).

I had a reasonably good photo of the Talisman that Steven sent me, along with photos of the Chalice and the other prizes, but I put the best ones in an envelope, and I haven't been able to find the envelope for several years now. :x Believe it or not, I rarely see the Chalice-- the last time was a few years ago, when John Hardie came down to interview me and take some photos. I need to get some decent photos taken of it, so I can post them.

2 - I was never really all that lucky finding the clue screens. Has anyone ever seen a walkthru or formula sheet for which items had to be carried/located at in order to get the clues? The only thing I ever saw were the correct clues for Earthworld (SPIRE IN TOWER TALISMAN FOUND) and Fireworld (LEADS TO CHALICE POWER ABOUNDS)

I thought EarthWorld was the hardest game-- I could never find more than four, or maybe five, of the number clues in the game by myself.

WaterWorld is the easiest game, because you get hints in the game as you pick up and drop the different objects in the different rooms. If you trigger all of the hint displays, you can piece them together to find out most of the objects needed in each room to trigger the number clues-- although I think you still need to use trial and error to figure out what all of the objects are.

FireWorld seems really hard, too, but it turns out it's easier than EarthWorld, although not as easy as WaterWorld. There's a sort of pattern or methodology to the way the clues are triggered--

four objects in one room, and one object in another room

. If you're patient, try all the combinations that fit the pattern, and keep notes so you know which combinations you've tried, you can find all the clues by yourself-- but it takes a while!

3 - In Earthworld, there were items that allowed you to slip right past Sagitarius' spears, Taurus' horns, and

Is there a question in there? ;) It looks like your sentence got chopped off before you finished it.

I posted some notes in another AtariAge thread about how to play FireWorld by yourself, and included some spoiler information about which objects do what, and where to put them to trigger the clues. I never wrote anything like that for EarthWorld, because I never beat that game by myself. But what you should do is make a list or map of each room, and which objects start out in which rooms. Then carry around just one object and try to get into each room, and you'll quickly be able to tell which objects help you get into which room. Also, the side exits are locked unless you're carrying a certain object.

Michael

Edit: Here's the post where I gave hints about playing FireWorld, including attachments for a map and "cheatsheets":

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1117665

Edited by SeaGtGruff

As I recall, Steven Bell told me that he had the Talisman melted down by a coin dealer for cash, although he kept the little sword from it.

I had a reasonably good photo of the Talisman that Steven sent me, along with photos of the Chalice and the other prizes, but I put the best ones in an envelope, and I haven't been able to find the envelope for several years now. :x Believe it or not, I rarely see the Chalice-- the last time was a few years ago, when John Hardie came down to interview me and take some photos. I need to get some decent photos taken of it, so I can post them.

I thought EarthWorld was the hardest game-- I could never find more than four, or maybe five, of the number clues in the game by myself.

WaterWorld is the easiest game, because you get hints in the game as you pick up and drop the different objects in the different rooms. If you trigger all of the hint displays, you can piece them together to find out most of the objects needed in each room to trigger the number clues-- although I think you still need to use trial and error to figure out what all of the objects are.

FireWorld seems really hard, too, but it turns out it's easier than EarthWorld, although not as easy as WaterWorld. There's a sort of pattern or methodology to the way the clues are triggered--

. If you're patient, try all the combinations that fit the pattern, and keep notes so you know which combinations you've tried, you can find all the clues by yourself-- but it takes a while!

Is there a question in there? ;) It looks like your sentence got chopped off before you finished it.

I posted some notes in another AtariAge thread about how to play FireWorld by yourself, and included some spoiler information about which objects do what, and where to put them to trigger the clues. I never wrote anything like that for EarthWorld, because I never beat that game by myself. But what you should do is make a list or map of each room, and which objects start out in which rooms. Then carry around just one object and try to get into each room, and you'll quickly be able to tell which objects help you get into which room. Also, the side exits are locked unless you're carrying a certain object.

Michael

Edit: Here's the post where I gave hints about playing FireWorld, including attachments for a map and "cheatsheets":

Thanks for the post and doing the interview. That is some interesting stuff, and congrats on becoming a part of Atari 2600 lore. I would be interested in seeing some pics if you have time.

Wow that is REALLY something SeaGtGruff!

I've always thought the story behind Swordquest and the contests were really neat,

You live in Georgia!?? I don't suppose you would mind if I borrowed that Chalice to drink some Arrogant Bastard Ale in style??

You live in Georgia!?? I don't suppose you would mind if I borrowed that Chalice to drink some Arrogant Bastard Ale in style??

Hee hee, you funny!

What's Arrogant Bastard Ale? Hmm, sounds interesting. (I just Googled it.) Don't think I've ever seen any in the stores I frequent-- I guess it must be Contrary to Their Family Friendly Image, Incorporated. ;)

Michael

I've always thought the story behind Swordquest and the contests were really neat,

Yes, that's great to see those pics posted! Thanks!

I doubt that the Chalice was intended as a crunk or pimp goblet, although it is blinged out. That's Atari for you - ahead of its time.

post-5874-1247060514_thumb.jpg

I doubt that the Chalice was intended as a crunk or pimp goblet, although it is blinged out. That's Atari for you - ahead of its time.

Cool picture!

One thing that makes the Chalice unsuitable for drinking from is its weight-- it's pretty darn heavy. I took it over to one guy's house many years ago (after I first got it), and his girlfriend almost dropped it when she went to pick it up, because she wasn't expecting it to be so heavy-- I guess she thought it would be fairly lightweight, like a cheap trophy cup. But I did use to drink from it on rare occasions.

Michael

I had the Chalice taken out of the bank today so I could take some photos of it. I posted three of them in the Gallery under Rare and Unique Items, including a rare peek inside the Chalice. :)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...eq=sc&cat=5

Michael

You know all this time I never that you were THAT Michael. How funny is that? :)

Am I the only one who gets an error saying that I do not have permission to use this feature when I click on the link?

Tempest

You know all this time I never that you were THAT Michael. How funny is that? :)

Well, when I first joined this forum, I always signed my posts "Michael Rideout," or maybe "Michael S. Rideout," because I've always signed my newsgroup posts, forum posts, and email correspondences with both my first and last names. And for a while, I even used a picture of the Chalice as my avatar. But then I decided to stop putting my last name all the time, because it seems more stuffy and less friendly. And I changed my avatar because I didn't want anyone to think I was stuck up about having won the FireWorld contest. I can honestly say that winning the contest and owning the Chalice has made virtually no impact on my life (other than the added notoriety), as I live my life as if I were just as broke as I would be if I didn't own the Chalice! ;)

Am I the only one who gets an error saying that I do not have permission to use this feature when I click on the link?

I think the link works for everyone except Moderators-- or maybe for everyone except you! :D Seriously, though, it should just link to the "Rare and Unique Items" forum page under the "Gallery" page. So I should think you could navigate to it manually if the link doesn't work. :?:

Michael

Yes, that's great to see those pics posted! Thanks!

post-5874-1247060514_thumb.jpg

"Pimp Goblet"

ROFL :D

Michael

Thank you so much for the pics. I think it's awesome that maybe the greatest holy grail of Atari is a freaking chalice! Just think about that. The actual Holy Grail is a chalice. This is what makes Atari awesome. You can ask a comic book collector what is their holy grail and they will say some comic book. You can ask a stamp collector what is their holy grail and it's a stamp. But if you were to ask me what would be my holy grail. It's your freaking awesome chalice. The awesomeness that a holy grail of Atari is a chalice is beyond cool. :D :cool: :D :cool:

Edited by homerwannabee

Wow, that is awesome. This is a tacky question, but what is it worth today? Any idea what Steve got for the melted talisman?

Like I said, I know it is tacky to ask but unlike other Atari items where it comes down to what someone will pay this has a real world value too so I am also curious how much over that value an Atari collector would pay.

Easy question, over or under the current asking price for Air Raid ($5,000)?

Easy question, over or under the current asking price for Air Raid ($5,000)?

I'd say much, much more. Its a one off and if you didn't win it yourself then why should you have the pleasure of owning it just because you have the money. Obviously, if Michael's circumstances change in the future and he needs the money that's different. In my mind, to buy a prize from somebody means the person selling must be on very hard times. I'd rather help them out in other ways if I could. Anyways...