IGNORED

Fallout 1: lock/reset # of days for water chip?

S1500

So I started playing it again after reformatting the laptop that had it, instead of playing it on my primary system.

The graphics, uh, are weird unless you do some tweaks. It shows mostly a black screen, and only updates what changes, so you have to "paint" the mouse around. I think I got around this with compatibility modes.

Anyways, in just a few visiting of towns, etc and rummaging around, I lost 55 out of the 150 days you get until everyone in Vault 13 dies. Has anyone found a patch, etc that locks or increases the number of days? I tried 1 character editor, but it doesn't have a day count reset. Another trainer i was about to try was actually a Trojan. There's one trainer I saw, but it modifies too many aspects of the game.

Yes, I admit I used a character editor to beef up my character, since this game is VERY unforgiving in the early stages.

I'm about to go on goodoldgames & buy Fallout 2 for 6 bucks.

I did the official fallout patch, nope, timer still counts down.

I bought Fallout 2 last night. The game is still insanely fucking hard on the combat, to the point where a battle with a rat kills you.

(F2) I just cheated and upped my character's hitpoints to 178. I STILL DIED. Besides horribly programmed character editors, this game really is not easy to play. Yes, I set the combat & game difficulty on easy.

Here's how it works:

1. 90% of the shots I take on critters, such as rats I will miss.

2. 90% of the shots critters take on me is a hit.

I wonder if the character editor screwed that up.

The graphics, uh, are weird unless you do some tweaks. It shows mostly a black screen, and only updates what changes, so you have to "paint" the mouse around. I think I got around this with compatibility modes.

I've got the same problem. Fallout2 is a tad better, but still f--ked up.

Those games just don't like anything even remotely considered a modern computer and glitch out really bad. :x

I've got the same problem. Fallout2 is a tad better, but still f--ked up.

Those games just don't like anything even remotely considered a modern computer and glitch out really bad. :x

A quick way around that is to hit F1 for the help & escape. That repaints it. Sadly, I can't use iTunes in conjunction with it, nor run it in windowed mode. Itunes literally slows down then crashes.

If you're playing Fallout, you probably should check the TeamX site. They've done tons of fixes to the game. In fact their handiwork is on the Fallout Trilogy DVD release.

:thumbsup: for the DVD compilation. It's nice to be able to play Fallout in Vista at 1920x1200. :D

Edited by remowilliams

Wish the teamX site was in English. I did some tredging around in the translated version, and could not find anything specific to the water chip. Lots of developer-centric things

I'm playing Fallout 2 for a couple of hours a night. Even with 100% on melee weapons, I'm still getting almost no criticals, decent # of misses while my buddy knocks down opponents almost all the time. Still, critters can get 2 or 3 hits on me almost every time.

Some of the quests are a bit frustrating, even though I know what needs to be done. Trying to talk to Karl in the Den leads to no option to talk him back home. All paths lead to him just passing out or sobbing(and me not wanting to bug him further). Trying to talk to the farmer person in regards to Karl no longer brings up interactive dialog. It just shows speech above his head. WTF? So now how am I supposed to complete that side quest?