IGNORED

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

Philflound

On 1/3/2020 at 7:27 AM, Rom Hunter said:

I have this pictures from many years ago.

As you can see, it comes with a black & white manual.

8)

Cosmic Arc Blue Inlay.jpg

Hello Hunter and Phil, it is wonderful to rescue the variations of the versions of games released by the manufacturers.

I am putting together the workflow by manufacturers, collections, their versions and variations.

Soon I will post the outline of the project.

Hugs;

• Like 1

ATARI 2600 GUIDE

=============

The objective of this project is to rescue the composition of the Atari 2600 game box versions with their manual and label variations.

The research came from my collection of North American games NTSC, joining with all sources of references for research and sales. I'm doing consistent mining and cross-checking of historical information.

The Project initially captures information from records found and is organized by folders and subfolders, in the following model: games-> boxes -> versions -> variations (attached images).

I started with the line of games manufactured or launched by Atari in the NTSC format, then I will move on to the other game development companies.

I believe that soon we should have a topic for everyone's participation and contribution.

Hugs;

1107611271_01-pastas.thumb.jpg.2f1a3df8f677145f4554233b3e6f426c.jpg

Game Folders

443419135_02-sub.thumb.jpg.7f78dd5318cc66b4867dbdce7674e1f0.jpg
Box versions

PS: I created an initial nomenclature of box versions to organize and date the existing models. (similar Gamevariation model, stipulated by Phillflound)

Edited by daniel.inforede
  • Like 1

I'm actually confused at what you are trying to do. I guess when you have it up and running, it may explain itself. The confusion comes with the empty Combat folders. It seems like there are repeats. There are 2 different gatefold boxes for Combat yet I see only 1 folder. Also there are 2 different carts with 01, one with red border and one with silver. besides the large and small (R).

Edited by Philflound

46 minutes ago, Philflound said:

I'm actually confused at what you are trying to do. I guess when you have it up and running, it may explain itself. The confusion comes with the empty Combat folders. It seems like there are repeats. There are 2 different gatefold boxes for Combat yet I see only 1 folder. Also there are 2 different carts with 01, one with red border and one with silver. besides the large and small (R).

Hello Phill, first I'm sorry for the off-topic post.

I found the questions excellent, this image (Combat Game) is the complete structure of versions for all game boxes launched by Atari, whether from the Silver, Red, Color, Children collection, etc ...

The empty folders denounce that for the time being I do not register boxes launched for the versions of a certain game. PS: A few days ago I found a version of Warlords released by Atari Corp. and it became easier to update the information in my database.

On the issue of Combat Gatefold, I classify it like this:
"Gatefold version contains 2 variations of boxes and 3 variations of labels. When entering the version folder, there are other folders with variations of boxes, manuals and labels.

This is the modeling of the database for use in the future. I think it will help answer many questions that I have by crossing this data.

I hope I have clarified your initial doubts, Hugs!

Ok, I understand that a little better. I'm assuming you're creating your own website with all this info. I already updated the Warlords. Thanks for that. Still working on Parker Brothers with acquiring the inserts. I also found Star Wars ROTJ Death Star Battle has a 2 pc box besides the 1 pc, so I'll be updating that. I'm leaving ESB for last as that has many variations, but will try and do the inserts this weekend if I have time. I'll be beginning my move to my new house tomorrow and will not have time too much on weekends to do much with the site.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Philflound said:

Ok, I understand that a little better. I'm assuming you're creating your own website with all this info. I already updated the Warlords. Thanks for that. Still working on Parker Brothers with acquiring the inserts. I also found Star Wars ROTJ Death Star Battle has a 2 pc box besides the 1 pc, so I'll be updating that. I'm leaving ESB for last as that has many variations, but will try and do the inserts this weekend if I have time. I'll be beginning my move to my new house tomorrow and will not have time too much on weekends to do much with the site.

I'm still adding and sorting information in the related folders and that's been almost a year. I have to create a domain and hosting for the project.

I used Combat to exemplify (image), because it has many versions and variations. The "no warranty box" box made in Taiwan (10 Box Color in the image), I initially classified as a version. With the contribution and feedback, it will help to evolve the version structure (folders).

I still have inclusions from Parker Brothers to send, nice move to your new home.

I'm finally going to work on Empire Strikes Back. I now have 9 variations. This will be one of the exceptions where I show the top label of the box, only because they show the country made in. I actually need to get the 6 language top label. I got one, but it's on a 45 degree angle and I can't rotate the photo without losing the sides of the scan. I only have programs that rotate 90 degrees. Anyway, it should be done within 30 minutes.

I'll be working on the cartridges to fill in those that have Made in countries that I haven't gotten before. There are plenty on Ebay, so I'm hoping to get them all. 

From what I see, USA box has no Made in molded on the cart. Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore seem to go with their respective boxes, though Taiwan and Hong Kong have 2 variation boxes. Malaysia seems to be the cartridge belonging to the 6 language cartridge I think. I'll try and do more investigating. I think there is only 1 real insert for all the 5050 box variations, though that insert had a variation that had a tan interior instead of a white one. So the first 6 box variations will use all the same insert. I've yet to see a blank or plastic tray insert for ESB. I try to be honest with my finds, though switching inserts can happen at any time. So if someone feels like putting a blank cardboard or plastic tray for ESB, I guess there is nothing stopping them. But for the dozens of examples I've seen on Ebay, there hasn't been one shown.

Ok, will have to finish this tomorrow. I discovered there are 2 versions of the 6 language box. One has product #31501, the other has 931501. So now there are 10 variations. I promise to finish this before the evening.

Edited by Philflound

I fixed the ESB cartridges, but the format was using a different program than Front Page. So all my (C) have ? in front. I'll have to rebuild this page, sometime this week. The boxes are finished.

One thing of note, I took photos from whatever sources I could. Though I do not like doing this as many are done with cameras on crazy angles, I figured I'd rather have something to show rather than a blank box saying I need a scan. I may do this with other scans I'm missing in the future going back to other items I've already completed. I ask if you see something that looks like it can use an upgrade, please help out. At this time though, I'd rather continue working on and finishing the other companies like Sears, Sega, Telegames, etc.

Once I move, I'll eventually have access to my personal collection once again and will scan items I own to fill in the blanks. Mostly sides of boxes or such. We're getting there. Have patience.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, looking at my collection I come across the game Pigs in Space in the Atari Corp © 1986 version in 6 languages made in Taiwan, tab flap style box, CA019744-114 REV. A . Manual © 1986, black, C019787-114 on back, 18 pages (folds out), printed in Taiwan. I am sending the images to include in the list.

_01_front.thumb.jpg.5b185182c9e8551451b0add16a8395a1.jpg_02_back.thumb.jpg.5c6557f05da96e888e34ea86e67c43cc.jpg

_03_manual_front.thumb.jpg.5eb58c42081b2fc8b25f1b3e247f1fb4.jpg_04_manual_back.thumb.jpg.7584392611f3d5e9eda2a38290ec831d.jpg

720042279__05_tinyflap.thumb.jpg.66b227f4107adf0315d45c3cdb98eafe.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Daniel continues to help me big time. He found a 1986 RotLA box which I've now added. I'm going to create a page showing Atari items I believe should exist on the website. I think I had listed it once here, but since then have discovered some of those items. I can't edit replies here, so I'll do it on the site as more are found.

Phil

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2020 at 3:43 PM, Philflound said:

Daniel continues to help me big time. He found a 1986 RotLA box which I've now added. I'm going to create a page showing Atari items I believe should exist on the website. I think I had listed it once here, but since then have discovered some of those items. I can't edit replies here, so I'll do it on the site as more are found.

Phil

Thanks Phill, great idea to create a page with items to include. Well, I literally have a truckload of manuals and variants of cartridges and labels found. I am crossing them with the respective editions (copyrights) and versions.
I think even this page will help me a lot to organize everything!

On 4/12/2020 at 2:43 PM, Philflound said:

Phil

Ok, I created the page that shows items that I believe should exist. Here it is. It's on the main Atari page under General Variations. I'll double check for any spelling errors later this evening.

http://www.videogamevariations.com/AtariCompanies/AtariGames/atari_items.htm

• Thanks 1

Added 1987 Phoenix box and I confirmed Adventure 1987 manual with someone selling on Ebay. No scans of the manual though. I may look through what I'm missing and try to confirm items on the list, even if I can't get scans of them. I'm doing my final move within the next week, so there may be a pause in updating things.

Been confirming more manuals and adding some more to the list. Will update the list soon as I go through it all. I'm adding in original release international manual 5 language versions if I don't have them on my giant list and can't confirm them. I do want to pose a question about Basic Math. I have on the list an English/French instruction manual, most likely in my inventory since it's confirmed with size and page count. So I'm wondering does anyone know what this came with? Is there a Canadian box version out there? Maybe an original box with a sticker? I'll post other inquiries as I come across evidence.

On 4/17/2020 at 9:31 PM, Philflound said:

Ok, I created the page that shows items that I believe should exist. Here it is. It's on the main Atari page under General Variations. I'll double check for any spelling errors later this evening.

http://www.videogamevariations.com/AtariCompanies/AtariGames/atari_items.htm

Excellent Phil, I will analyze all your considerations to cross with my items here!
I also understand that they are trucks of items to be included due to the versions and their editions (years of copyright).

One suggestion would be to put a link on the Giantlist home page.

Let's work and build!
Hugs

On 4/23/2020 at 9:33 PM, daniel.inforede said:

I believe that all Childrens versions of Atari Corp "86" edition (copyright 1986) are international NTSC versions (box 6 languages). And like every 1986 edition, boxes are hard to find!

I've possibly thought that they put the 1986 cartridges in the 1983 boxes with the "Made in Taiwan" silver sticker over the "Made in USA" 6 language boxes. I'm hoping there are variations for those though with 1986 boxes. Thanks again for all your help.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 3:32 AM, Philflound said:

I've possibly thought that they put the 1986 cartridges in the 1983 boxes with the "Made in Taiwan" silver sticker over the "Made in USA" 6 language boxes. I'm hoping there are variations for those though with 1986 boxes. Thanks again for all your help.

Dear Phil excellent rescue. As an initial strategy, Atari used the existing stock to make capital. Even reusing boxes, cartridges and printed material.
Lately, as we are evidencing here on the giantlist (videogamevariation.com), the discovery of many NTSC games in boxes in International formats (5 and 6 languages), both in the Inc. era and in the Corp era. The research initially points out that there was an advance in NTSC investment for the international market in the Corp. period, thus creating new frontiers for the search for game versions by large collectors.
With the certainty that much remains to be discovered, I thank you for your trust!
Hugs

• 2 weeks later...

With the help of Daniel, I am updating some of the photos that weren't straightened along with adding many Activision boxes. I'm working on putting some of the foreign boxes like the German ones, and I just found a Dutch sticker version for Chopper Command. (EDIT) I'm not sure if it applies to all the boxes, but it'll take some time to go through all the games. The Dutch sticker box versions as far as I can see say PAL/SECAM on them. The German sticker box versions have on the right bottom "for use exclusively on PAL/SECAM...". So it seems these 2 boxes are totally different. I wish I could get my hands on these to confirm any Rev and printer/dates on the tiny flap. But I'll be adding all these variations and probably more over the next few days. (END EDIT)

I'm about to move my computer finally (hopefully) by next weekend, so there may be a delay in updating things. But for the next few days I'll keep working on this. I'm sorry I put the Sears back on hold. Can only work on one section at a time, and the bug hit me to work on the Activision boxes. I also was fixing the wording of the listings. I'm trying to remain consistent. I found there are 2 versions of PAL/SECAM on the back of the boxes, so I'm being a little more specific with that. Also, I'm trying to find all the boxes with UPC codes on the bottom and add that UPC bottom of the box scan. I have added some and will create a "blank" filler for those I don't have and hopefully will find.

I've also considered adding another page directly from the Atari 2600 one listing scans I need that I know exist. There are variations out there that I don't have scans of, and I'm sure there are even more variations I don't have shown at all because I don't know they exist. It's very difficult to try and find everything out there, just to show its existence, and I'm so grateful for Daniel because he has been working as hard on finding me scans and new items as I have. I hope others will try and help me out. 

Now that WATA games is grading Atari games, they'll need much help and I've been trying to be as useful as possible. Thanks for all the support.

Phil

Edited by Philflound
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

What do we need to know about an Combat Atari Corp cartridge?
========================================== 

By bringing together the versions found in 2012 and the two versions found now in 2020, through a graphical comparative analysis between the models of labels and cartridge formats CART 1 and CART 3, in its two variations (with or without text in the main label: "Use with Joystick Controllers"). Evidence points to the following common characteristics:
•    Plastic coated label
•    Game title off center in the end label
•    Plane inside boarder on the main label
•    Image undocked in print on the main label
The results will facilitate identification as to the period and country of manufacture.
=========================
Right now I see that collecting is just a detail of a great discovery! But if this is not real? Actually if it's a dream? Please don't wake me up!
=========================
* Images taken for the construction of the VIDEOGAMEVARIATION website infographic | Giant Label Variation

NOTE: For the construction of a CIB set between CORP versions, a good way is to use the print and copyright registration of the warranty certificate that accompanied the version. Evidence suggests that we may have Manual and Cartridge Inc with a ©1984 warranty record ATARI CORP Rev A; How can we have Manual Inc and Cartridge Corp CART1 with Warranty registration ©1984 ATARI CORP Rev B.
Arriving the pure editions of ©1986 with Manual CORP B / W ©1986, CART 3 CORP, warranty record of ©1986 printed from May 1986. And so on...

RESULT_1000.thumb.jpg.d374c2f349649a917eceee62b070bf96.jpg

COMPARATIVE STUDY

4 hours ago, daniel.inforede said:

NOTE: For the construction of a CIB set between CORP versions, a good way is to use the print and copyright registration of the warranty certificate that accompanied the version. Evidence suggests that we may have Manual and Cartridge Inc with a ©1984 warranty record ATARI CORP Rev A; How can we have Manual Inc and Cartridge Corp CART1 with Warranty registration ©1984 ATARI CORP Rev B.
Arriving the pure editions of ©1986 with Manual CORP B / W ©1986, CART 3 CORP, warranty record of ©1986 printed from May 1986. And so on...

And about the boxes to compose the set: I think that the box version 14) © 1986, dark red box, in the warranty box, Printed in Taiwan, would be more suitable for the "mixed" versions (cartridge and manual Inc) and for the "pure" Corp version (cartridge, manual Corp) would be the version 15 box) © 1986, dark red box, no warranty box, Made in Taiwan, Printed in Taiwan.

Edited by daniel.inforede

I want to thank Daniel again for his ever seeking quest for new variations. He just brought to my attention a new 3-D Tic Tac Toe box variant. I have added this as box 3 now, which is the white warranty box with the date inside. This leads me to conclude that the white warranty with the date outside the box should exist as it would lie between the original and the newly discovered variation. A few years ago, I discovered both of the white warranty boxes of Superman. Daniel has sent me scans of a white warranty box version sealed with a wallet, which I'll be adding sometime this weekend. Again, I would not doubt there are many of these types of variations out there that should fill in holes. It's just a matter of finding them. It's taken years and years just to discover that some of these actually do exist, so I'm not doubting there are more out there. I'm still filling in the German Activision variations. All this is a tedious process with my full time job and my finishing moving, but I think it's well worth it. How far we've come in the past 25 years since I first looked at this "Giant list of variations". My guess is that it has tripled in size if not more.

I asked Daniel, and I might as well pose the question to everyone. I'm looking to get the information of the Rev and printer/dates on the 5 language boxes that were released from like 1978-1980 off the tiny flaps. I ask this because I'm trying to get a good idea on the timeline these were released in conjunction with the original game. My guess is within a few months if not almost at the same time, but I need lots of info on these as I don't have ready access to the boxes themselves and most people don't show the tiny flaps in any listings of these games. Thanks.

Phil

EDIT: Just luck chance looking on Ebay and I discovered a Tic Tac Toe "ninety day limited warranty" variation. I'll update that soon. YAY!

Edited by Philflound
  • Thanks 1

Phil thanks again. I just completed another 20 boxed print records for the requested period. I found two more different brands of printing that I will be sending you soon.

My intention this year is to open all my sealed games (approximately 120) so we will have many more records to include.