IGNORED

How good/bad is Night Driver?

Herbarius

I understand that Night Driver is one of the very early Atari games. Also it's an Arcade port and may be the only 2600 Arcade port that actually improves upon the original Arcade game (use of color, upcoming cars, decoration like trees, houses)...

I'm thinking about getting it. I tried it in the Emulator, but you can't really tell, using the mouse instead of paddles just doesn't work well... However I think it looks pretty fun. However, reviews differ dramatically. Classic Game Room HD, which is normally very lenient, did a really negative review of Night Driver. I don't think I've ever seen a CGR-Review that negative...

On the other hand the Video Game Critic rates it B+, so maybe it isn't that bad after all...

I want to get another game using paddle controllers. I tried to get Video Olympics, but as it turns out, the PAL version is hard to find (according to AtariAge it doesn't even exist, according to Atarimania it does.) I already have got Breakout, so Super Breakout is out of the question (playing being my primary motivation, not collecting). I thought about Warlords, but this does seem to be fun especially with 4 players, less with 2 and like not fun at all if you play alone. So I thought I'd opt for the single-player-heavy Night Driver, there'll be plenty of time for Warlords later...

However, I just wanted some opinions before I get it, partly because the reviews are so different and because I can't properly try it on the PC, because it's a paddle game. I'm a big fan of Enduro, and I hate Pole Position, maybe that information is useful.

Edited by Herbarius

I want to get another game using paddle controllers. I tried to get Video Olympics, but as it turns out, the PAL version is hard to find (according to AtariAge it doesn't even exist, according to Atarimania it does.) I already have got Breakout, so Super Breakout is out of the question (playing being my primary motivation, not collecting). I thought about Warlords, but this does seem to be fun especially with 4 players, less with 2 and like not fun at all if you play alone. So I thought I'd opt for the single-player-heavy Night Driver, there'll be plenty of time for Warlords later...

Wow - I totally overlooked this. Check out my version of Warlords, Medieval Mayhem, available at the Atari Age store(and yes, there's a PAL version). You can download the ROM or check out a few videos from my website, as well as play it online.

Due to being such an early game, it has a definite ceiling on the fun, but it is good for occasionally popping in and taking a run. Play it at night with the lights off, of course. I'll not say it's hours of fun, but it is definitely worth having in your collection.

Wow - I totally overlooked this. Check out my version of Warlords, Medieval Mayhem, available at the Atari Age store(and yes, there's a PAL version). You can download the ROM or check out a few videos from my website, as well as play it online.

Yes, I know, I know... Sooner or later I'll also get into the whole Homebrew thing... and then, propably Medieval Mayhem would be the first game I'd get. But to be honest, 25$ is a lot of cash for an Atari game (and that doesn't include the shipping), I agree it's totally worth the effort you put into creating it, but for my budget (I am studying computer science) it's just too much. That's why I am more after original Commons or other cheap deals.

Also my complaints about Warlords not being fun in singleplayer apply to Medieval Mayhem as well. Let's face it: If you'd pick 5 people I know (from RL) then there would be 2 who don't know at all what an Atari is, another two would say "You have an Atari? Hey that's cool" but don't mean it, or at least wouldn't play and only 1 would, potentially, be willing to play Atari with me. And that's an optimistic assessment of the situation.

Edited by Herbarius

I'm thinking about getting it. I tried it in the Emulator, but you can't really tell, using the mouse instead of paddles just doesn't work well... However I think it looks pretty fun. However, reviews differ dramatically. Classic Game Room HD, which is normally very lenient, did a really negative review of Night Driver. I don't think I've ever seen a CGR-Review that negative...

Ahem:

Now note Heavy nova is one of those games that's really not that bad (not great, but passable) for those who like the genre, but absoulutely requires instructions/tutorial to be playable. (rather like ET or Star Voyager -NES not 2600) In his case it's a loose cart and he didn't look up the intreuctions online (or they weren't available at the time). The biggerst part is that you tap a/b intermintently to recharge health (and get out of being disabled from low health), rather like punch out.

I think night driver is OK, it depends on your prefrences, if you know a freind who's got it I'd suggest trying it out first. (inless you can get it really cheap -shipping would be the main factor if buying online) If you can't find it locally, I'd just wait and get it with a lot of reasonably priced atari games. (combined shipping is much more reasonable)

But to be honest, 25$ is a lot of cash for an Atari game (and that doesn't include the shipping), I agree it's totally worth the effort you put into creating it, but for my budget (I am studying computer science) it's just too much. That's why I am more after original Commons or other cheap deals.

It sounds like a lot, but there's very little profit in there. From my royalties I've made enough for a car payment or two. I believe it also helps to offset the costs of running Atari Age.

Also my complaints about Warlords not being fun in singleplayer apply to Medieval Mayhem as well.

Have you tried it yet? While it's definitely better with multiple players, the Video Game Critic put forth this:

Heck, this game is even fun with one player, as I learned when I faced three CPU opponents and got my ass handed to me.

Night Driver is good for what you'd pay for it. I don't play it a lot, but I enjoy it when I do.

If you're looking for other paddle games, there are tons of options like Action Force, Kaboom!, Jedi Arena, Fireball, and many others out there. Your tastes will determine which ones you enjoy the most.

I understand that Night Driver is one of the very early Atari games. Also it's an Arcade port and may be the only 2600 Arcade port that actually improves upon the original Arcade game (use of color, upcoming cars, decoration like trees, houses)...

On the other hand the Video Game Critic rates it B+, so maybe it isn't that bad after all...

However, I just wanted some opinions before I get it, partly because the reviews are so different and because I can't properly try it on the PC, because it's a paddle game. I'm a big fan of Enduro, and I hate Pole Position, maybe that information is useful.

C'mon, you can't be serious, right? I mean you can pick up a 2600 Night Driver for less than the price of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. OK, how's this .. just go ahead and pick up a copy ... and if you don't like it .. I'll buy it from you for whatever price you paid for it!

C'mon, you can't be serious, right? I mean you can pick up a 2600 Night Driver for less than the price of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. OK, how's this .. just go ahead and pick up a copy ... and if you don't like it .. I'll buy it from you for whatever price you paid for it!

LOL! Rob, you crack me up!

I agree......It's not like you would have pay piles of cash for the game. And it IS fun .....to me anyway :D

Will you really horribly miss the $1-$2 you'll spend on this game?

If you hate it, use it for trading or give it to someone free or in a bundle or something.

man my town is an effin joke

i pay probably 4-6 dollars PER CART DEFIANT OF VALUE, no one in my town even cares, the worst part is i have to get them from a store called VALUE VILLAGE, where ALL there stuff is donated, then they mark the price up by over 9000 percent, and your looking at a copy of night driver i paid six fudging dollars for :x :x

and to them its ALL profit :x

and its always hit and miss... atari stuff has been in there twice that i have seen, i say "that i have seen" because there always rotating inventory, if you miss a day, its gone, and you have no way of knowing what was there, or if someone bought it and youll never see it again.... and somedays they have nothing at all!! just to throw you off!!

sorry, i had to vent, to answer your question, if you see a copy, buy it, i did, and i dont regret it, its very fun to pull out every now and then, of course it is my only paddle game, but the paddle is what adds all the fun, because a mouse is absolutly no substitute.... its like playing marble madness, or crystal castles with a d-pad, or joystick it just doesnt not compute with me(still love crystal castles 2600 tho)

Edited by joeypsp

Cool its a great game. Played it on my VCS when it first came out. Classy and as the author has already mentioned its better than its arcade parent.

I mostly play it on the xbox arcade emulation disc released a few years ago..

Back in the day in Glasgow (Scotland) I remember watching this highbrow tv program about the problems of drink driving. The game featured was Night Driver. It occured to me that the person playing was duff rather that being an expose of drink driving it showed ND as a good racing game. I cannot play games when I am drunk or do anything else for that matter.

t works well with the x box joypad.

I love Night Driver. I always feel like I'm playing that sequence in 'A Clockwork Orange' when Alex and his droogies are playing "Hogs of the Road". It gives me a tingly sensation in my guttiwuts real horrorshow.

ND is quick fun. It's not the kind of game you're going to play for 3 hours but for a a few rounds to cleanse the palatte between other games, it's great.

I've noticed that it seems to be one of the better remembered games too. People always want to give it a go when they are in my gameroom.

I love this game.

LOL@Rob ---> That's classic!

Here's how to play this one:

Get yourself in front of a bigger TV. Turn the lights off, crank the sound and sit fairly close. Adjust the contrast up and the brightness down, so things are big, bold and in your face.

Start the game, and just zone in on the TV. At the higher levels, it gets challenging, and the moving, flickering road markers are just a trip. On some TV's, they will leave a nice phosphor trail on the screen that just adds to the impact. The arcade game was a lot like this, and IMHO the home version is actually better, when you do a bit of work to recreate the atmosphere.

If you've got a friend sucked into it, wait until they are in the turns, then poke them and yell. They will throw the paddle nearly every time!!

This one is just itching for an updated homebrew / hack, BTW. Just sayin'...

Edited by potatohead

I love this game.

LOL@Rob ---> That's classic!

Gotta love the programmer standing behind his game even 30 years later ;)

Now if only modern game companies like Activision would give me back the $60 I paid for crap like the Force Unleased :D

I always thought this was a super cool game to play for a little while. The images are so large and move very fast, couple the onscreen images with Atari 2600 paddle controls, and you have yet another awesome experience that is quite different from the way other racers are, retro or not.

Another hearty HAW HAW HAW/LOL@ RH's comment! It's funny to see posts "should I get this game or not" when said game can often be found for $1 or so. :)