IGNORED

Cooling fans

Corby

Are they a good thing to have? Or can they do more damage than good!

Right now I have it in the open. but I just got a little cabinet from a guy from work for nothing, so I want to use it.

Any thoughts.

Corby

intercoolers are not needed. If anything they cause more harm than good, as they are made poorly.

I'm trying to fend off RROD's by adding in internal fans, and even then its not working out that great. I get a little bit more time before the dreaded rrod comes back.

Edited by keilbaca

I have one of each kind, the ones you stand the 360 on vertically, and the Intercooler.

The Intercooler sucked because it was noisy, the other one sucked because it sucked air out of the holes that usually take air in.

If you're not wanting to void your warranty, honestly, your best bet would be to get a laptop cooler, the kind that has fans and powers off of a usb port. Plug that into the back of your 360, and stick the 360 vertical over the fans to blow into it.

A few things. To open the xbox, you needn't void your warranty. A simple blowdryer to the sticker can fix that. If you put in a new fan, one that runs at higher speeds, oddly enough you can get banned. Microsoft can detect the higher voltages used, and if it's like that 100 of the time, they will catch you eventually. The chances are really slim though, and all that happens is a ban. Fan or not, your xbox is going to break anyway, so just deal with it.

Edited by Spazmonkey

Actually, I hear that the fans biggest problem is running off the 360 (and it's nearly maxed out power supply anyways) so I don't know about using any fan that plugs into the 360 itself, however, I do have a notebook cooler that plugs in with a bullet tip, and have that slipped under the 360 stand.

I'd say, as long as it moves air the right direction, doesn't leach off the 360 in some way, or cost money, then there's no harm. But like said, heat cycling is the real problem, and you won't fix that, even with fans, you might just prolong the life a bit, but hey, to some that may be worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

my last x box 360 last two and a half years with a cooler that I had put in. It went belly up so I went out and bought a different x box. That one has a different port (HDMI) so the cooling fan does not fit.

When the last xbox comes back I will probably put the cooler back on. So it will work for the next five months or however they last after they have been repaired.

My PS2 is still running five years after I bought it second hand. My x box is still going strong I got it the week it came out over here. My Sega Dreamcast is still running but the back port is a bit iffy....

My 7800 has seen better days but it is over 20 years old...

I've heard bad things about the intercoolers. Never used one myself though.

I would say as long as it's not crammed into the new cabinet that you're going to use, you should be fine. You need to give it a little breathing space.

What model 360 do you have?

• 1 month later...

My XBOX 360 would freeze in the middle of the game w/out one, and I didn't feel like sending it in for warrenty work a 2nd time, so a buddy told me to get an intercool fan(my 360 is the one that has no hard drive so I had to add an external hard drive) thing is it fixed it and I no longer have a problem, been dooing it for a year

After three new consoles dieing on me in a year and one repaired one I bought a cooling fan called the xfan 360. haven't had a problem since. It usually runs in excess of 16hrs at a time with my fan plugged in and doesn't get as warm as it would running for a half hour without the fan. heat is what kills these systems.