IGNORED

Things you should have known, but didn't...

Koopa64

Going by reviews, I thought Pitfall II: Lost Caverns was going to be an actual adventure game. I thought it was going to be like Pitfall! mixed with Adventure level 3 where treasure was in random places and the enemies were 'smart'. Wrong! I hated being young and gullible.

Going by reviews, I thought Pitfall II: Lost Caverns was going to be an actual adventure game. I thought it was going to be like Pitfall! mixed with Adventure level 3 where treasure was in random places and the enemies were 'smart'. Wrong! I hated being young and gullible.

I felt that way more with the Swordquest games. I thought the Swordquest games would be kind of like Raiders and have some actual play value other than the puzzles you had to figure out with the comic and the lame minigames. (I mean, jeez, dodge rotating lines. How exciting.) The swordquest games were really a terrible waste of a good adventure/RPG style game engine. I'd love to see someone tear Earthworld or Fireworld apart and make a real game out of them.

Edited by mos6507

2600 wise and back in the day when Atari was all the rage, I never knew these products existed:

Kid Vid cassette recorder, Smurf's & Berenstein Bears

Compumate

Starpath Supercharger

...if I had known about the Supercharger back then, it may have either tided me over

from wanting a real computer or would have hastened my desire for one ;-)

It's interesting most of you are talking about being duped, thinking some games were

different than they were. I can't say I ever felt that way. Maybe it's because I usually did

A LOT of research back then before purchasing. Money wasn't just thrown around by kids

like it is today you know. And besides that, you could kinda tell what a game was all about

by reading the back of the box and looking at the pretty screen shots :-)

Oh - and as Mos6507 pointed out, I remember being confused too as to the Sears

Telegames debacle. Was never duped or anything, just remember thinking that you

had to be careful not to. lol

Edited by save2600

I thought the 4-switch case was smaller than the 6-switcher.

I, like a lot of technologically naive people, used to think that there was magnetic tape underneath the dustcover. The way carts mated to the VCS meant you never really saw what was inside them. Kind of the light going off in the fridge syndrome... Many people called games "tapes" instead of carts, confusing them with 8-tracks or maybe mainframe reel to reels or early home computer cassette drives. Of course by the time Activision and others came around with no dustcovers on the edge connector it was obvious.

Edited by mos6507

I felt that way more with the Swordquest games. I thought the Swordquest games would be kind of like Raiders and have some actual play value other than the puzzles you had to figure out with the comic and the lame minigames. (I mean, jeez, dodge rotating lines. How exciting.) The swordquest games were really a terrible waste of a good adventure/RPG style game engine. I'd love to see someone tear Earthworld or Fireworld apart and make a real game out of them.

Oh yeah, that was a big disappointment too, but people didn't hype them as the most advanced adventure games ever made. The first Swordquest game should have prepared me for future disappointments, but I just wasn't smart enough yet.

2600 wise and back in the day when Atari was all the rage, I never knew these products existed:

Kid Vid cassette recorder, Smurf's & Berenstein Bears

Compumate

Starpath Supercharger

...if I had known about the Supercharger back then, it may have either tided me over

from wanting a real computer or would have hastened my desire for one ;-)

Same here.

I grew up with the Atari and could have sworn I knew it all. It wasn't until I got my collection out of the attic about 10 years ago and seriously started to collect when I (ebarrased to admit) found out about the following:

Starpath Supercharger

HERO

Pitfall 2

Quadrun

Just about every game with a red Atari label

and lots of other great games.

This was nice because I actually realized there were a bunch of good games I have never heard of.

Another thing I didn't know, but am glad I didn't was the hatred for so many games. People hated PacMan and ET? I had no idea. My friends and I played these games constantly and loved them to death. It was kind of like Ewoks. I didn't know you were supposed to hate these things until I got much older. Luckily I refuse to grow up and my kid eyes are still more than happy with these things.

i recieved a bunch of carts from thailand and asia ... and one the carts had a turbo label ... so i was convinced to have turbo for the 2600 for a while, until i realised it's just another bootleg of enduro ...

I almost can't believe it, just as I write this I switch back-and-forth to look at the picture again. Looks like they actually tried to make it look like an Atari release... or not... if they'd actually tried they would have done a better job... would they? ... OMG, it really blows my mind... look at that stuff written on there, it's gibberish

1983 ATARI, INC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 2684

Trade mark of Bally Midway Mfg. Co.

Licensed by Namco-America INC.

Btw, CX2684 actually is Galaxian.

EDIT: So, I looked up the Galaxian cartridge, and see what it's got:

c_Galaxian_Silver_front.jpg

they just copied the text from the Galaxian cart, maybe without knowing what it meant. I mean, that's why I said it's gibberish, what does Midway or Namco have to do with Enduro... or "Turbo"...

BTW, is there some kind of "Off-topic thread" where you can post reactions like this one without "polluting" the original thread?

Edited by Herbarius

they just copied the text from the Galaxian cart, maybe without knowing what it meant. I mean, that's why I said it's gibberish, what does Midway or Namco have to do with Enduro... or "Turbo"...

LOL. Good catch, that's too funny.... :D