IGNORED

Worried what will happen to your collection after your gone?

AJ_Maine_Man

I was thinking about this the other day as my colection grows what would happen to my stuff if something happened to me?

My wife has no appreciation for my Atari/Coleco stuff at all and I wouldn't want it to just be dumped somewhere or perhaps thrown away.

I was thinking of telling my wife just ebay it all if I was gone or maybe sell/give it to the Atari 2600.com atleast that way it would end up in hands of people that really wanted this stuff.

I'm only 38 and plan to be around along time I was just pondering the fate of all my hard work collecting all this stuff.

What would you want to happen to your collection??

Well I’m 37 years old and if I were to die any time soon, my collection would go to my wife and kids to decide if they want to keep it, or sell it and believe me she knows how much my collection is worth.

Some people might be thinking about being buried with their collection but since I’m being cremated, that just would not work, my family could not scatter my ashes since it would be mixed in a big black blood of plastic the size of a chevy cobolt :D .

:ponder: :skull: :grin:

Edited by ATARIPITBULL

I'm 14, so it will be awhile before i die (unless i die of something other than natural causes).

I wanna be buried with my collection, and a jillion security cameras to prevent anyone from stealing the collection (or me!)

Well I’m 37 years old and if I were to die any time soon, my collection would go to my wife and kids to decide if they want to keep it, or sell it and believe me she knows how much my collection is worth.

Some people might be thinking about being buried with their collection but since I’m being cremated, that just would not work, my family could not scatter my ashes since it would be mixed in a big black blood of plastic the size of a chevy cobolt :D .

:ponder: :skull: :grin:

Cremate the games too, and crush it down very hard.

Well, I would like to think that if I do have kids and survive any sort of calamities, I'll pass my collection on to them. If they're not interested in it, I don't want them to sell it, it will go to a museum I know about that a friend of mine is currently helping with. If something were to happen soon, I have told my wife where to go to get games appraised by friends before auctioning them so she can get money if she needs it.

Worried?about my collection if i croak...NOPE!Whatever happens,happens man.Sure you can make out a will and give to someone else who'll appreciate your collection.But what happens after that,after that person gets your collection, who knows?.They'll probably sell it or donate to the thrift after a while,or get thrown in the garbage after the benefactor croaks him/herself.

you wont be worried about your collection after you're gone, so why worry about it now? And even if its buried with your body, it wont give you any comfort, because you wont be there ;) Its an interesting comment, as collecting is very counter intuitive to the reality of death. We are all going to die at some stage and we cant take any of our "stuff" with us, so why do we spend so much energy in this life collecting these objects that we are only going to leave behind in a "relatively short" period of time??

I'm 23 and don't expect to die soon either. But if I did I would just let my family have everything and decide what to do with it all. My parents aren't gamers so I think they would probably sell it. Besides they need the money more than they need a video game. But if I die along time from now, hopefully i'll have kids and just give it to them.

I'm going to be buried in a giant facility to hold my (hopefully) impossibly large collection. The Facility will never open up because it will be deep underground. I just want my soul to know that all of those game systems that I fell in love with will still exist hundreds of years from now. I'll leave some of my collection (and even some will be a lot) to my kids and wife so they can enjoy my collection and every generation of my family will be (forced) to love it so classic gaming never dies out, and if it does, then that's what the facility is for. I also want to be cremated and have my ashes poured into my tuba and put in the facility too. It sounds insane, but possible. I'm paranoid of the fact that some day this stuff might not exist and will just become recycled plastic.

I was thinking about this the other day as my colection grows what would happen to my stuff if something happened to me?

Don't worry. When the giant asteroid hits in 2012, your collection will be vaporized along with you and everyone you know, so no problem.

Funny that you guys mention this topic. I was thinking about this today.

I just came back from a house that was selling a ton of video game stuff on Craigs List. Turns out, her husband used to be an avid collector and he passed away about 4 years ago. Luckily, she and her son knew what each game was worth and are starting to let go of the cartridges at a fair price.

With that said, the best advice I can give you is make a complete inventory of what you have, and perhaps place a value on each item, that way whoever get's your collection will know not to just dump it at your local thrift store.

My wife has specific instructions to log on to this very site and a) post a thread announcing my demise, b) monitor PMs regarding condolences, c) cross-check said offers of condolences with a list of wonderful AtariAge members that I have previously compiled, and d) offer up my collection goodies to my friends and mourners here on AtariAge with deep-discounted "Death Sale Pricing!!!"

you wont be worried about your collection after you're gone, so why worry about it now? And even if its buried with your body, it wont give you any comfort, because you wont be there ;) Its an interesting comment, as collecting is very counter intuitive to the reality of death. We are all going to die at some stage and we cant take any of our "stuff" with us, so why do we spend so much energy in this life collecting these objects that we are only going to leave behind in a "relatively short" period of time??

Very well said. :) You can have every video game ever made, but it won't matter to you at all when you die. It only matters where you're going. I think Jesus said it best in Matthew 6:19-21

I'm 50 and I don't expect to die soon either! ("You're only as dead as you feel")

I guess I always just assumed that my wife (or whoever else had the unpleasant job of cleaning out my zillion boxes of stuff (including games, old shoes, assorted discarded PC parts, car parts, and boxes that haven't been donated to the Salvation Army yet) would pretty much just have a garage sale...

"Super Pong? Uh, how about fifty cents?"

"box of old Atari tapes? How about ten bucks?"

"ANOTHER box of wires and cables?!? They must go with something...but I sure don't know what! Take 'em if you can use 'em..."

Well, I would like to think that if I do have kids and survive any sort of calamities, I'll pass my collection on to them. If they're not interested in it, I don't want them to sell it, it will go to a museum I know about that a friend of mine is currently helping with. If something were to happen soon, I have told my wife where to go to get games appraised by friends before auctioning them so she can get money if she needs it.

It's funny you mention museum. That is my goal with my collection, to start a museum in the Los Angeles area. The only two things I need is a place and time. I probably would start the museum at my house and then eventually get a commercial location. After I die, I hope my kids continue the tradition or just auction it all off.....

I'm 32. when I die I want those little tombs, that some people get when they die. And I want all my video games in it.

post-19641-1248505188_thumb.jpg

And if you want to come in and play them...you'll need a key.... 5200 controller. plug it in the door slot.

disclaimer: the 5200 controller need to self center!!!!!!

Some imply that just because they're still like in their twenties,they still have plenty of time left.Quite obvious,but some dont think of it,you can get killed tomorrow by some piece of crap drunk driver,or simply a careless clutz bitch putting on makeup while driving,which ive seen numerous times by the way,or even hit by a car crossing the street,ad infinitum.I had my will done when i was 25.Sure you gotta make changes every once in a while,things change,Better that than a judge deciding who gets what or what goes where.Best advice i can give to anyone,MAKE A WILL,NOW!!!!!!If you do care what will happen to your belongings.

Edited by Rik

My wife has specific instructions to log on to this very site and a) post a thread announcing my demise, b) monitor PMs regarding condolences, c) cross-check said offers of condolences with a list of wonderful AtariAge members that I have previously compiled, and d) offer up my collection goodies to my friends and mourners here on AtariAge with deep-discounted "Death Sale Pricing!!!"

Got dibs on all Atari 2600 games he has that i don't!

It's funny you mention museum. That is my goal with my collection, to start a museum in the Los Angeles area. The only two things I need is a place and time. I probably would start the museum at my house and then eventually get a commercial location. After I die, I hope my kids continue the tradition or just auction it all off.....

Man, i always wished they had a Video Game Museum. Can i be on nightwatch?

I'd want them randomly dumped at local thrift stores so some other collector can get a find in the wild.

Finding Quadrun or Battlesphere in the wild. That would be awesome. All my Atari systems flash solutions found in the wild. That would be... wild. :)

I have in mind to give my wife locations where she can write as possible places to get rid of my stuff. I want fans to either come get it, or come by, offer my wife what she sells for it, and then give it a good home.

She said she would keep some things of mine, maybe a Jaguar with Bubsy and my Lynx with flash card. Maybe a 800 computer.

Seriously doubt heaven will have 110 AC outlets for playing video games, but just in case, I want my Lynx with flash card.

Then again, a Lynx with extensive play would only last for maybe the first 50 years and then I couldn't find parts for it. Then what? Maybe in those 50 years it would help wean me off video games for the rest of eternity.

Heaven's gonna suck as far as video games go. :P

Or maybe God has the largest Atari setup ever known to man? I mean seriously, is God so great that even he could create an Atari game setup larger than he could play?

Wonder if I could beat God at Warlords? :D