IGNORED

Which classic era A8 programmers work do you respect the most

I wanted to give the Level 9 adventure game programmers a mention - one of my favourites was Worm In Paradise.

Added to that would be Scott Adams, Brian Howarth and Jyym Pearson.

A mention too for Stan Ockers, e.g. Bats was one of my first type-ins - a good source of learning in the early days. :)

Definitely Paul Woakes and Archer MacLean for their great titles.

From disassemblies, I'd have to note that one of the most well structured games I've seen was Palace's Barbarian on the C64.

Danielle Bunten Berry of M.U.L.E. and 7 Cities of Gold fame stands out most in my mind.

To me, the A8 platform wouldn't be the same without M.U.L.E. And the randomly generated disk-cached new world in 7 Cities of Gold was a great technical achievement, given the constraints of the A8.

Don't mix up the timeline. It was a guy named Dan Bunten who "made" the games.

I agree - Dani was the person who made those wonderful games - that is what she chose to be and be called, don't make this an issue...

sTeVE

I respect his work on the Atari in some cases. But the "Dani" thingy happened years later and has nothing to do with the A8.

Now I wonder how much money it costs to make People saying "she" to a man who let "cosmetic" operations happen, to look like a woman. Well, in our village some transsexual guy ...erm... woman lives . You see on the first sight in his/her face "he is a man" but he thinks he is a woman. Probably he felt in love eventually with a guy, did some gender changes for better love, and now it seems he/she/it lives now neither as a woman nor as a man....

Having a woman from Thailand as my wife, I see often men who think they are women, when going to a party... so called ladyboys.... well, in Thailand they're all but rare, here in germany they are also there.... may they live as they want. But you never will see me talking to them like talking to women.

And now back to topic.

. . .Chris Crawford... I remember reading his account of how he programmed Eastern Front, spending a great deal of time crunching code so it'd run in 16K.

. . .

Regarding the Chris Crawford comment, was this in his book called Chris Crawford on Game design or another article? I bought a new sealed copy of eastern front and opend it up to play. Even the manual was well done.

It must be from another article. I have Chris Crawford on Game Design. It contains a chapter about the design of Eastern Front but doesn't get too deep into the techincal programming details.

The focus of the book is game design theory. If you are a Crawford fan like I am, I would suggest getting all of his books.

I don't care. Dan(i) did a great job on Mule, same to 7 cities...

Exactly, let their work speak for itself, and in Dani's case it sure does!

But to be respectful to someone's memory is not hard. I met Dani once or twice thru GDC work (I also worked with several of her colleagues, including Jim Rushing) over the years, and on a personal level believe that to respect someone for their work and NOT raise the issue of their orientation is the correct thing to do, unfortunately I find emkay's attitude to the issue ignorant and fail to see why he should have the last word after being the one who decided to put forth his petty bias...

Sorry for the rant everyone, back on topic, unless more unenlightened perspectives care to be shared :)

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

But to be respectful to someone's memory is not hard. I met Dani once or twice thru GDC work (I also worked with several of her colleagues, including Jim Rushing) over the years, and on a personal believe that at to respect someone for their work and NOT raise the issue of their orientation is the correct thing to do, unfortunately I find emkay's attitude to the issue ignorant and fail to see why he should have the last word after being the one who decided to put forth his petty bias...

LOL

The true fact is that you got biased somehow by knowing the person of Dan(i) Bunten. My aspect is pretty un-biased there.

It's like people wearing yellow glasses saying, people who can see blue not as a black colour are all biased... ;)

Please keep things at their correct place, thanks.

Edited by emkay

The true fact is that you got biased somehow by knowing the person of Dan(i) Bunten. My aspect is pretty un-biased there.

It's like people wearing yellow glasses saying, people who can see blue not as a black colour are all biased... ;)

Please keep things at their correct place, thanks.

WTF are you making this an issue?

Of course I respect Dani because I knew her however slightly, I respected her skill before I met her and more-so after meeting her - so what, hardly bias, just fact.

I am urging you to respect her, not like her, and in respecting her use the name she chose to be known as not wandering off into some weird discussion of ladyboys and your professed expertise of transgender issues because of your wife's social history...

Now please stop adding further comments or this thread will really fall off topic- I respect Danielle's work - just like the thread asked.

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

I am urging you to respect her, not like her, and in respecting her use the name she chose to be known as not wandering off into some weird discussion of ladyboys and your professed expertise of transgender issues because of your wife's social history...

You know what, seeing all your "off taste with Atari graphics" and your wrong thinking about other people makes it clear.

I don't know much about your history, but in your writings I see your imaginations and thought seem to be enlightened by a broken bulb.

Just two hints

1) I never was in Thailand

2) My wife has no history to be ashamed of

Your thoughts may follow the fact why People might know Bang Cock .... erm ... Bangkok (which is spelled "bung" and has nothing to do with something sexual. It means simply "port" "city" ) as the main City of Thailand.

I know that the main city of Thailand is known as Krung Thep Mahanakon.... and I doubt you can even spell it correctly.

I also know that you don't even care about it, because of your limited knowledge.

So, if you want to insult people, go talk to other people that share your limited knowledge.

Edited by emkay

eh up...The AA police have arrived

Perhaps if Manfred Trenz and Co were'nt so loved in with the c64...we could have had an atari 8bit version of turrican/grt giana sisters (even if they were going to be spectrum like) and i would have put them up there as work to be respected

Otherwise Brian Jobling and Chris Copeland (various games for zeppelin/tynesoft and codemasters)

I think Bill Williams used to work for Atari for their APX label

Edited by carmel_andrews

I want to add some german coders which influenced me, too:

Peter Finzel for Cavelord and Schloss Schreckenstein and his books and what he has done educational to the atari community with his books

Julian F. Reschke for his book "Atari Profibuch" and the game Nadral

Kemal Eczan for his tons of games and music

Christoph Schulte-Vennbur for Slot Machine (what nice GTIA gfx...) http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3126 and the Axis Komputerkunst Intro which is really art...

Armin Stuermer for Herbert series and Bilbo (lady bug clone) and Caveman and all his AMC community work

Bernhard Engl for his work on Turbo 1050 and Turbo Freezer hardware

Edited by Heaven/TQA

"Slot Machine" was one of my favorite's back in the day - I loved the look of that - it was just so Atari!!!

sTeVE

Yeah... indeed... ;) and best is the small details like the perspective correct shadow of the tetraeder animated cursor which wraps around the barrels... ;)

Philip Price (AR series; way ahead of his time), Archer McLean (IK, Dropzone; way ahead of his time), Brian Jobling (Zybex, Draconus; new quality games for Atari), Peter Finzel (Cavelord, Schreckenstein; at their time cutting edge), Peter Liepa (Boulder Dash; brilliant idea and conversions) and many many more. Also the guys who made floppy and tape speeders.

Edited by R4ngerM4n