IGNORED

Atari games you like but no one else does

Animan

You know... Defender and some of these other Atari arcade conversions have their own charm. Back in the day, I don't remember anyone complaining about poor arcade translations. What we and my friends had, we enjoyed for what they were: 2600 games. It's like we 'got it' that the Atari, being a 1977 console, was going to have a certain graphics limitation or whatever. If anything, we always gave extra props to the 2600 for pulling off what it did and how well it played. Still do. As you get older especially, the simplicity that is Atari; is refreshing and a welcome time wasting reprieve from the lunacy that is life.

You know... Defender and some of these other Atari arcade conversions have their own charm. Back in the day, I don't remember anyone complaining about poor arcade translations. What we and my friends had, we enjoyed for what they were: 2600 games. It's like we 'got it' that the Atari, being a 1977 console, was going to have a certain graphics limitation or whatever. If anything, we always gave extra props to the 2600 for pulling off what it did and how well it played. Still do. As you get older especially, the simplicity that is Atari; is refreshing and a welcome time wasting reprieve from the lunacy that is life.

I agree. It wasn't until the silver label era that I started really comparing the 2600 versions of games to their arcade counterparts. It's almost like those early games right up through Defender they weren't even attempting to make the graphics "arcade like." Its obvious from hacks and later games that the 2600 was capable of games that looked more like their arcade siblings.

Defender: Stargate (now hacked into Defender Arcade) shows that an arcade like Defender was possible.

Space Invaders - SI Arcade (hack) looks close

Asteroids - The various "arcade" hacks make it look better

Pac-Man - The homebrew Pac-Man 4k by Dennis Debro, and the hack Hack'em are perfect examples of proper graphics.

All of those examples...and yet Atari gave us what we got back then...makes you wonder why they did it that way.

All of those examples...and yet Atari gave us what we got back then...makes you wonder why they did it that way.

Well, there's a few excuses that have been well documented. Pressure, drug use, corporate deadlines,

disgruntled employees and other inhumane working conditions all played a part in the development

(or lack) of these games.

One thought though besides all of these that I've had are the politics you never hear about that occur

behind closed doors. I have always wondered how exactly Atari was able to manage to secure all those

arcade licenses. Besides monetarily of course. I wonder if Namco, Midway, Stern, Universal, etc. had

some sort of policy that allowed home conversions (Atari 2600 especially) to be released on a consumer

level *IF* they were different enough from their arcade counterparts. I mean, licensing the name and

artwork - easy and "cheap" enough to do. But what if there existed another legal tier that prevented

them from developing a real good arcade port? Both the Motion Picture & RIAA (music recording) industries

have held that agenda for decades, so it's not far fetched to believe that's how it started in the early

days of videogaming. What better way to maintain a compelling reason to go to the arcade?

Edited by save2600

Back in the day, I don't remember anyone complaining about poor arcade translations. What we and my friends had, we enjoyed for what they were: 2600 games.

Sometimes I still like to sit down with my 2600 and play Ms. Pac-Man or Dig Dug or something, even though I can play emulated versions of the arcades on my GameBoy (for example) whenever I want to.

And some games, like Night Driver and Pong, were better on Atari, IMO.

Edited by Asaki

Back in the day, I don't remember anyone complaining about poor arcade translations. What we and my friends had, we enjoyed for what they were: 2600 games.

Sometimes I still like to sit down with my 2600 and play Ms. Pac-Man or Dig Dug or something, even though I can play emulated versions of the arcades on my GameBoy (for example) whenever I want to.

And some games, like Night Driver and Pong, were better on Atari, IMO.

I Agree.

basic programming is not a game but does not get the respect that it deserves... as well as tunnel runner crypts of chaos stellar track. and the defender game is AWESOME! and space war is also pretty cool... its nice to say that i have a version of one of the 1st video games ever on my atari! superman is also cool. and zaxxon also is very good.... i cant think of any others ATM...

I'm not sure "no one" likes Xonox's Ghost Manor - I'm just not sure anyone likes it as much as me. Yeah, once you figure out each stage you can pretty much blow through it in 2 minutes, but for some reason I find it really fun and replayable. If it had a timer for built-in speed runs it'd be perfect. Excellent graphics and sound.

Well, there's a few excuses that have been well documented. Pressure, drug use, corporate deadlines,

disgruntled employees and other inhumane working conditions all played a part in the development

(or lack) of these games.

One thought though besides all of these that I've had are the politics you never hear about that occur

behind closed doors. I have always wondered how exactly Atari was able to manage to secure all those

arcade licenses. Besides monetarily of course. I wonder if Namco, Midway, Stern, Universal, etc. had

some sort of policy that allowed home conversions (Atari 2600 especially) to be released on a consumer

level *IF* they were different enough from their arcade counterparts. I mean, licensing the name and

artwork - easy and "cheap" enough to do. But what if there existed another legal tier that prevented

them from developing a real good arcade port? Both the Motion Picture & RIAA (music recording) industries

have held that agenda for decades, so it's not far fetched to believe that's how it started in the early

days of videogaming. What better way to maintain a compelling reason to go to the arcade?

I dunno, maybe that's it...there has to be some reason. I mean, Space Invaders is a perfect example...it could have EASILY looked more like the arcade game...but the sprites in the 2600 version look NOTHING like the arcade game. The gameplay is there (arguably better than the arcade game), but the graphics aren't (but they could have been). Just something I wonder about from time to time. I still love the 2600 versions.

Gopher.....without a doubt ....Gopher. Something satisfying in a Carl Spackler kinda way when you clobber that lil fuzz covered geek with the shovel.

I was also going to say Gopher. I talked my mother into buying it many years ago when we were grocery shopping. I think it was a $4.99 game.

I also like Space Attack my MNetwork. I think the graphics and the way the enemy ships move on the battle screen are outstanding!

Hi! New to the forums, long time lurker. I also nominate "Gopher". That's a seriously tough game after a while. I HATE missing the seed that the duck drops! "I was RIGHT THERE!" Even though it was frustrating, I was addicted. Also liked "Gangster Alley", complete with Mad Bomber rip off character.

I dunno, maybe that's it...there has to be some reason. I mean, Space Invaders is a perfect example...it could have EASILY looked more like the arcade game...but the sprites in the 2600 version look NOTHING like the arcade game. The gameplay is there (arguably better than the arcade game), but the graphics aren't (but they could have been). Just something I wonder about from time to time. I still love the 2600 versions.

Rick Maurer was developing that game before Atari even considered purchasing the rights for it. Perhaps that has something to do with the dissimilar graphics.

Who here like Congo bongo and Q-bert? they both seem to get a bad rap, but I like them.

2600 Q*bert gets a bad rap? I've always thought that was an excellent port.

Congo Bongo on the other hand... but I still appreciate the effort that went

into making that game. Not too bad I guess all things considered.