IGNORED

quick question

xg4bx

what did the average 2600 game cost back in the day?

"The day" spanned many years, and there were always bargains to be found at different stores if you went looking for them. A good ballpark figure is $35 - $40. After you factor for inflation, that works out to about $90 worth of purchasing power in today's economy per game.

what did the average 2600 game cost back in the day?

Prices could vary a bit depending on the size of the ROM. Smaller games (2K and 4K) were maybe about $20 give or take, whereas 8K and up were more expensive. For example, my copy of Haunted House was $21.88 at K-Mart, and my copy of Super Breakout was $16.00 (originally marked at $16.00) at K-Mart, whereas my copy of Defender was $32.88 at K-Mart. (I bought a lot of my games at K-Mart back then!)

Michael

I've seen prices from $9.99 to $70.00 CDN,during its peak.The $9.99 games were mostly in the clearance bins during crash.But there were the "CHEAPO" games priced at $9.99 to $14.99 like Sneak n Peek at all times though.

$19.99...a price figure that nobody (that I know of) went below until games started to stagnate in autumn '81. That was the MSRP of Fairchild Channel F cartridges too. Montgomery Ward was still using that figure for Channel F as far as 1980 when Space Invaders hit home.

I vaguely remember paying somewhere in the teens ($13-$19) for games at KayBee(?) toy store in and around 1984. I am pretty sure it had to be around that price as my father was extremely poor and I had to use lawn mowing for neighbors money to buy anything I wanted or needed.