IGNORED

Is this a Wico?

kherman

Opps! I looked at the picture a second time and the 5200 cable is a Wico cable. It should have three ends. A 5200 male with two cords coming out of it. On one end is a 5200 female end and the other is a 2600 female end. I still think I am right about the controller though. You'll notice it is the same size as a coleco Colecovision controller so that it will fit in the slots on a colecovision as well as having a curled,telephone type cord to fit under the controller just like Coleco's controllers. It's still pretty rare.

Allan

Opps! I looked at the picture a second time and the 5200 cable is a Wico cable. It should have three ends. A 5200 male with two cords coming out of it. On one end is a 5200 female end and the other is a 2600 female end. I still think I am right about the controller though. You'll notice it is the same size as a coleco Colecovision controller so that it will fit in the slots on a colecovision as well as having a curled,telephone type cord to fit under the controller just like Coleco's controllers. It's still pretty rare.

Allan

Nooooo

Just found it. It's for a colecovision. Ahhhhh. Should I tell the guy I bought it from? I already payed for the $@#% thing. Is it worth $50??? or should I demand a refund?

I think I have a case:

Here's the item description for the joystick.

The WICO Joystick itself offered here will put a real ARCADE-QUALITY feel to your 5200 gaming! It has an extra-long handle with textured grip that is over 3" long with the MAIN FIRE BUTTON conveniently placed on the top, FOUR extra fire/function buttons on the SIDES, and a WEIGHTED BASE that is over 1" thick so you can lay it flat on a tabletop to play!! The cord is coiled for neatness and extends to over SIX FEET LONG so you can kick back and relax while playing! This 5200 joystick also includes a FULL 5200 KEYPAD on it, as well. This is in SAME AS NEW Condition, having ben barely used, if at all! Get this and FEEL THE QUALITY!! . It was very difficult to find these even way back when they came out all those years ago, and it's MUCH harder to find them today, especially any that are still in BEAUTIFUL condition like THESE are! They didn't sell for very high prices way back then for nothing! AND THEY'RE GUARANTEED TO WORK! Own a TRUE piece of Video Game History! NO MORE OF THESE HAVE EVER BEEN MADE SINCE THEN, NOR EVER WILL BE!!  

Sounds like the person made the whole description up because obviously he didn't ever use it on a 5200 because it simply would not work. I would leave him bad feedback if he says he did use it on a 5200. Although at least you have something that has a some what comparable value.

Allan

Unfortunately it looks like your right. I thought the colecovision stick might be as rare and desirable as the 5200 wico stick but I guess not. The 5200 cord is worth something but not $50. If you can I would try to get my money back. Does the guy you bought it from have a lot of feedback. If he does it might help you get your money back. People are usually parinoid about getting negative feedback. Good Luck.

I don't know if you've seen this yet but here's a 5200 solution. It's going to be expensive but if your a 5200 nut like it's worth it.

http://www.multigame.com/mastercontrol5200.html

Plus if you need help rebuilding your regular 5200 stick let me know. I a pro thanks to Atari. :)

Allan

Here is my take on this:

This is the Colecovision WICO sitck. I don't particularly like them (I have a set), and I think they were pretty poor products from a decent company like WICO. The 5200 Adapter cable is still pretty hard to find by itself.

Even though there was a description (which was incorrect) there were pictures of the actual product. Kherman, you placed 8 separate bids on the item over that time period. If you didn't know what you were bidding on, why did you bid 8 times??? You did have an opportunity to ask the seller any questions before you placed your bids.

I have dealt with that seller and I'm certain it was an honest mistake on their part. Read their feedback, I'm sure they were not trying to rip you off, and if you keep your cool I'm sure you can resolve the issue favorably.

Kherman --

A 5200 Wico adaptor/connector alone recently sold for $30 on Ebay (buy-it-now) so you did get something of value. However, if you thought you were getting a 5200 wico stick and connector for $50 then I see how you would be upset. I don't believe the buyer was trying to rip anyone off (third party classic gaming stuff can look similar). I hope you get it resolved.

Take care,

RG

Not trying to hijack, but, given the above, is this item: http://www.myitem.com/viewimage.html?ctg=9...=541103793.jpeg also a colecovision controller, somehow rigged into an INTV?

I'm just trying to figure out how rare it is, and how well it works. Thanks in advance :),

I don't think it's a rig job, the ad in this thread states that they have a version for the INTV with a y-cable.

Y-cable similar to the one for the 5200? The pic makes it look hard-wired into the system. Does it only work on the CV?

Just looked at that ad again. It is not for a WICO stick, but some other company.

Overall, how rare is this? I'd likely have to buy the whole package in that photo to get it, and if these turn up fairly often on eBay for $6, as in the link below, I'll just wait.

Again thanks,

You guys are getting confused with Y cables and joysticks for various systems. There are Y cables that only work on 2600 type systems because only 6 of the 9 pins are wired up. There are Y cables that work on Colecovision systems because all 9 pins are wired up. The WICO Y cable for the 5200 lets you ONLY use a WICO analog joystick (which happens to be 9 pins) on your 15 pin Atari 5200. You CANNOT use another 9 pin joystick with the WICO Y cable, or the WICO keypad for that matter.

This auction you are referencing with the INTELLIVISION has a WICO controller HARD WIRED to the console. This controller may be the Colecovision model, but I know that WICO either did or was supposed to release an INTV controller for Intellivision II. This is because the INTV II had detachable controllers, the one in this auction does not. So, somebody took the trouble to open up their Intellivision and hard wire an aftermarket joystick. Chances are the pinouts were different, so the needed to know what they were doing.

Does this help clear things up a bit? 8)

Yeah, your explnation makes sense. I was only mentioning that a INTV version was promised in that ad, also there's mention of a Y cable to use Atari joysticks on Coleco and INTV.

Of course, those may be vaporware and the picture from the INTV auction may be a result of some homewiring.

If you are referring to the ad for the D Zine joysticks above, those items are vaporware as far as I'm concerned.  I've never seen one of those, and if you look, the pictures in the ad are actually drawings!

Yeah, those are the ones I was referring to. I thought the first stick pictured in this thread was id'ed as one of those but I can see that they are different than the colecovision wico stick. So nevermind me ;)

I have seen 2 Wico sticks for the Intellivision sell on Ebay before and the Intellivision case needs to be taken apart for it to be connected. They are rare, but not that desirable. It's like the KidVid -- Digital Press gives it a 9 or 10 rarity, but then a loose one sells on Ebay for like $30. I posted a message on the Digital Press board several months ago and got a few replies that yes the Wico exists for the Intellivision, but that it adds nothing to gameplay and in many cases hurts it because the games are made for a disc. I hope somebody else know more -- anyone?

UPDATE-

Well, he got my e-mail saying not to ship it yet for reasons in previous e-mail. He never responded to the e-mail about what is wrong with the item.

Nor has he contacted me about a refund. i don't know if he ever shipped it even.

He either uses the internet about once every 2-3 days or he is ignoring me. Seeing he was easy to get ahold of while bidding, I am thinking he is ignoring me. I am starting to get ticked off. Tommorrow, I will be taking action if I don't hear from him. It's starting to get rediculous.

I am willing to not leave any feedback, but he has about 12 hours to get in touch wiih me.

OH BREOTHER. AT LEAST I'M GETTING MY MONEY BACK!

I tried explaining to him it's a colecovision controller and a Y-cable for Wico 5200 controllers more than once. Am I missing something????

Here's part of his response. Left one paragraph out

Hi There,

Thank you for the links.  Ah, I think I see what is going on with  

that now, what Wico has done is apparently take one of their sticks that  

was originally made for the Colecovision and added a 5200 adapter to it  

so that it will work with the 5200, as I checked and the plugs on the  

end are definetly for the 5200.

They apparently did a similar thing with the other stick I had for  

sale with the seperate keypad, all it has on the end is a regular 9-pin  

2600-style plug, (yet the LABEL on the side of it says AT-5200)  but,  

it plugs into the keypad-box that comes with it and THEN  functions as a  

5200 controller, as the box has 5200 plugs coming out of it.  Weird how  

Wico rigged things up like they did, I wonder why?   I'm almost certain  

it WILL work with the 5200, so if you still want to try it out I will  

even pay for the shipping back to me if it doesn't, I'm that sure.

However, if you don't even wish to try it I will just go ahead and  

send you a full refund, and then re-list it for auction as it originally  

was, as a 5200-compatible joystick.  (Or, since the stick and adapter  

come apart, it may be more valuable to seperate them and then sell the  

stick THEN as a Coleco stick, and the 5200 adapter seperately.  

Hmmmmm....)  Well, please let me know and I will take care of things for you.

... misc stuff ....

Thanks very much,

SELLER

Tried telling him what hey are and he makes up this crazy theory ???? This theory came after I told him twice, what he in fact has. needless to say, if he puts it back up, I will be notifying ALL bidders what in fact they are bidding on. I don't like to hassle people, but at this point, if he tries sellign htat as a 5200 controller to some unsuspecting person, I will take action.

Here's the kicker. I can't even figure out how Colecovision put all the functionality of that joystick in 9 pins in a way similar to the Atari.

I don't know much about the Colecovsion interface, but 9-pins interface to:

2 fire buttons (or is it 3?)

a numeric keypad (12 buttons)

and the actual joystick (analog or "digitial" ???)

At work a bunch of software/hardware people, myself included figure that Colecovion used a serial interface to pack all that data into 9 pins.

That's a theory though. We could be wrong.

Anyways, I was snooping on EBay. A collecovision Wico controller recently sold for a whopping $6. From what I've heard, Y-cables go for $15 on teir own. That's $21.

Karl

Karl --

I also am having a problem with a package from James (he copied my address wrong), but he has been really nice about it and resent it and gave me the tracking # today. I don't think he is trying to do you wrong (I will change my mind if I never get my package!). Honestly, some sellers on Ebay are compele a##holes -- his lenghty response shows to me that he at least has time to look into things. Also, I saw a Wico connector sell for $30 on Ebay not too long ago. I know the Digital Press guide lists a Wico stick and connector for $20, but I think that is way low.

Take care, RG

Well, he finally e-mailed me back saying hte refund is in the mail.

He doesn't check his e-mail very often, which bothered me, but everything is finally (99%) resolved.

If I get the refund, I won't bother with comments or feedback. A resolution has been met and there is no bother giving him a neutral rating like I was thinking about.