IGNORED

Unpacking my VIC-20 MegaCart!

Mark Wolfe

Woohoo!, I finally received my MegaCart. I was on the waiting list for MONTHS.

Read here to find out what this is and what it claims and how to go about ordering one for yourself, this short review is my endorsement of this fine product

http://www.mega-cart.com/

The megacart comes shipped in a cool white VHS plastic clamshell case that has been retro-fitted [no pun intended] with a foam insert that holds the megacart in place very nicely. That in turn is shipped in a sturdy cardboard box, the packaging and shipping was top notch.

The Cartridge is exactly like the original game carts for the VIC-20, except it has a convenient reset button on the top. It is of the finest build quality and the label is screen printed on to the cart, very nice!

Here is my short list of complaints, well, not really complaints but minor nit-picks.

1. There is a paper instructions sheet folded up inside. I would have preferred a glossy cardstock insert that fit the inside of the case without folding.

2. You have to make your own keyboard overlay. I wish this had been included as you need an oversized heavy stock print and then laminated and cut which most people can not do at home. There is a nice PDF download on the site so you can make your own but I wish this was included.

3. I wish the plastic used for the case had been from a recycled source. It is possible it was but it is not documented anywhere.

That's it, those are my nit-picks. This professionally done [by amateurs] product is one of THEE finest retro releases I have EVER seen.

Just off the top, you get every game and app you'd ever want to use on this one cart and it also has a boatload of custom features for programmers. Like I said, visit the wonderful website for this product at the link above and see for yourself.

I want to add that communication with the author, Brian went very smooth and he was most cordial. He did not drop the ball in notifying me when it was my turn in line to get the cart. He builds them one at a time in is spare time, per order, and does not allow payment until your spot in the queue is up and he gives you ample time to get your funds together to pay for it in a variety of payment methods. I used paypal and he had no extra charges for using paypal which was a relief. Brian is one of the nicest homebrew hardware guys I have met, as many of these people tend to be rather terse and grumpy. Brian was a delight to correspond with.

here are some quick photos, sorry for the low light, but this gives a view of what to expect.

I have used the Behr Bonz MultiCart, which is just a simple collection of 128 games in a multi menu. The MultiCart blows the Behr Bonz away. One of the distinguishing features is that when you go to load a game from the menu, you get a sub menu that tells you who published it and how it was released, a nice feature. The games are divided between all cartridge based games and then a set of all floppy/tape based games. I do not think anything was left out aside from hacks and scene released copies. I do believe you also get a nice collection of homebrew games too. You can also set the cart to load how you want, the customization possibilities are endless. You can set the cart to play music for you too from any of the games. The MegaCart has the music apps to make use of the SID chip so chiptunes folks will not be disappointed.

All in all the MegaCart is a MUST have for ANY retro gamer or programmer. If you do not own a VIC-20, this is a perfect reason to get one and have an INSTANT complete collection in one cartridge. VIC-20s are also one of the cheapest and easiest retro computers to get into via ebay or even chase the chuckwagon. You can find a complete VIC-20 for under $20 in most cases, and boxed stuff is easy to find.

post-3814-1250553995_thumb.jpg

post-3814-1250554028_thumb.jpg

post-3814-1250554039_thumb.jpg

post-3814-1250554056_thumb.jpg

post-3814-1250554075_thumb.jpg

post-3814-1250554090_thumb.jpg

post-3814-1250554109_thumb.jpg

post-3814-1250554126_thumb.jpg

post-3814-1250554150_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to type that up and post pictures. It's packaged very well, I like the matching white foam insert to keep the cartridge from rattling about. I haven't used a Vic-20 in a loooong time. Having one of these cartridges would certainly give me a very good reason to break one out. :)

..Al

I have to say, I really enjoy the VIC-20 and this just makes it SO easy. If you're like me and you have SOO much crap everywhere, it is just nice to have it all in one small package without any hassles and this delivers that and makes the $99 pricetag well worth it.

The quality of the games too is very good, the VIC-20 is really quite underrated as a game platform so I think that now is the time to go buy one and get this cart to go with it and enjoy hours and hours of simple fun.

There are EASTER EGGS!! very cool stuff if you navigate to the EXTRAS menu and then start poking around you'll find some. I found three and one other was given to me by the author who also told me there was one where it shows your name and serial number but that no one had found that easter egg yet and I tried a bit and could not find it so it must be a bit more complicated than the hidden games.

I am also waiting on confirmation that the clamshell cases were indeed recycled, so I will amend my post once I get the lowdown on that.

A short note from me.

Got mine a month or so ago and it is great! All the games and apps I want! (and I started out on a C64 20+ years ago - didn't get a vic until 4-5 years ago!). Brian (and any extra crew) have done a 99.99/100% job! For me this is the BEST VIC-20 cart released period!!

Oh and .01% - I still suck at most of the games :)