IGNORED

ATARDIS BBS beta version

Synthpopalooza

I've been pondering a TB compiled BBS idea for some time (as in like, when I was playing around with AMIS and FoReM back in the 80's) but never got around to doing anything serious with it... so kudos to you guys.

But, while you guys were all running around working on code, I was doing the IMPORTANT stuff............ To quote SpaceBalls, Moychandizing! Moychandizing! I already got a T-Shirt for you guys!

http://www.tshirtbordello.com/Atardis-T-Shirt

Ok, well, ok... I didn't design the shirt... and it has nothing to do with the program.... Still... we can pretend!

atardis-1.gif

• Like 3

Original:

4781 REM
4782 H1=PEEK(CLOCK+1):H2=PEEK(CLOCK+2):M
1=PEEK(CLOCK+3):M2=PEEK(CLOCK+4):S1=PEEK
(CLOCK+5):S2=PEEK(CLOCK+6)
4783 HOUR=H1*10+H2:MIN=M1*10+M2:SEC=S1*1
0+S2:TOT=HOUR*60*60+MIN*60+SEC
4784 RETURN
4785 REM
4786 SEC2=N-INT(N/60)*60:N2=N-SEC2:MIN2=
(N2-INT(N2/3600)*3600)/60:N3=N2-MIN2*60:
HOUR2=N3/3600:RETURN

4781 REM Modified for SDX
4782 HOUR=PEEK(DPEEK(10)+16):MIN=PEEK(DP
EEK(10)+17):SEC=PEEK(DPEEK(10)+18)
4783 TOT=HOUR*60*60+MIN*60+SEC
4784 H1=HOUR-HOUR MOD 10:H2=HOUR MOD 10: <------ This, I see now, cannot work.
M1=MIN-MIN MOD 10:M2=MIN MOD 10:S1=SEC-S
EC MOD 10:S2=SEC MOD 10:RETURN
4785 REM
4786 SEC2=N-INT(N/60)*60:N2=N-SEC2:MIN2=
(N2-INT(N2/3600)*3600)/60:N3=N2-MIN2*60:
HOUR2=N3/3600:RETURN

I found part of it, I think. for hour 13, H1 = 1, and H2 = 3. The way I was doing it, H1 would = 10 and H2 = 3.

and, I completely don't understand hour2, min2, sec2, n, n2, n3 variable...

This may work, I'm in the process of trying it now.

4784 H$=STR$(HOUR):H1=VAL(H$(LEN(H$)-1,LEN(H$)-1)):H2=HOUR MOD 10 <---- I'll have to make sure H$ is DIMmed, and this is ugly and slow....

Edited by Kyle22

I've been pondering a TB compiled BBS idea for some time (as in like, when I was playing around with AMIS and FoReM back in the 80's) but never got around to doing anything serious with it... so kudos to you guys.

But, while you guys were all running around working on code, I was doing the IMPORTANT stuff............ To quote SpaceBalls, Moychandizing! Moychandizing! I already got a T-Shirt for you guys!

http://www.tshirtbordello.com/Atardis-T-Shirt

Ok, well, ok... I didn't design the shirt... and it has nothing to do with the program.... Still... we can pretend!

atardis-1.gif

That would look nice converted to ATASCII for a title screen. I faintly remember a program that would do that...

• Like 1

Ugh :(

The line H$=STR$(HOUR):H1=VAL(H$(LEN(H$)-1,LEN(H$)-1)) doesn't work if it's input is a single digit number. It causes an error 5 because it attempts to access H$(0,0).

I think (when I get time, and the printer set up) I'm going to print it all, strip out all timing functions, and add back in what's required.

Basically, current time, time user logged in, time of last user interaction (to hang up on sleepy users) should be all I need.

if current time > user logon time + userlevel permitted time then goodbye

if current time > last interaction + 1 minute then beep user, if greater than 2 minutes then goodbye.

current time automatically goes on message posts.

anything else?

Edited by Kyle22

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NecroBump :)

Has any progress been made yet? I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out the clock stuff. It's simple to read from SDX:

Day, Month, Year, Hour, Min, Sec. are done by day=peek(dpeek(10)+13):month=peek(dpeek(10)+14), etc.

The BBS clock routine looks like it stores the data (hour, for example) as H1 and H2, where H1=hour-(hour mod 10), and h2=hour mod 10. The address of this data is read from a disk file D:CLOCK.

I have made some changes, but it still logs me back off immediately with a time expired message. I mean locally, I haven't even began to explore the remote stuff yet.

The date is handled differently from the time, and I think it is internally handled by the midnight maintenance routine (which I haven't fully examined yet.)

Most of the clock stuff seems to be in lines 4781 to 4786.

Removing all the un-necessary code should free up some RAM for more useful stuff.

My ultimate goal is to get it to compile (and link). I'll strip the PETSCII stuff out to make more free RAM, so we can avoid deleting the init routine lines above 30000 because I don't believe the compiler allows the line delete command.

For the Atari 8-Bit and SpartaDos or RealDos There are many Clocks that can be used. But the actual time handler is 6 bytes up under the OS after TDLine2.com has been installed. That actual locations are called Time and Dater in the source code. But getting your time within your program if you are using SpartaDos 3.2x & 3.3a,b,c,d and RealDos 1.0a. I have no Problem helping you if you wish to contact me in private e-mail. I have written both a BBS and Terminal program. I wrote TCPIP Express & BBS Express Professional Version 3.x 4.x and 5.x. Keith and I did the Express Cart which I still have the source code to. Most people have problem with code that runs in the back ground like a Clock handler. Also I have been asked many time why BBS Express Professional does not run with SpartaDos X and the reason is simple because SDX relocates vars every time command.com loads it is next to impossible to keep up with things the bbs core needs. The other thing since SDX has a nice memlow it is a cart so the car space is used by the dos and that ram from $a000 to $bfff is not able to be used so sdx does not give you much as a dos for a bbs program. Also when you are selling a program there are many people out there who would not purchase a copy of SDX to run a BBS Program back when ICD sold them for $79.00 Plus Shipping. I got bitched at when I suggested people purchase an R-Time 8 Cart. Also to write a real redirection of IO is easy. You will see how easy when I show you.

Stephen J. Carden

• Like 2

When using SDX, programs requiring use of RAM under the cart window should be loaded with the "X" command. Page seven kernel values are well documented and do not move, while any relocatable symbols required by a standard binary may be retrieved using the get symbol kernel call described in the SDX programming docs. SDX provides more free RAM than any other DOS period providing it's running in extended RAM.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

For those who were interested in modifying the clock routine on ATARDIS BBS, the routine I used is in this issue of ANALOG:

https://archive.org/stream/analog-computing-magazine-31/Analog_Computing_31_1985-06_ATASCII_Animation_and_ROTO_djvu.txt

It runs off of an AUTORUN.SYS file, so it's as simple as deleting that file from the ATR. There are also examples as to how the routine works, in BASIC, so it should be a matter of finding those in the BBS program and modifying them to work off of SDX.

• Like 1

Thanks for that info, it was helpful. I must have been mistaken about uploading the TARDIS here. I can't find it. That means it is on my Incognito APT drive. I'll try to dig it up, but it may take a while.

I did find this: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/178454-packet-radio-on-the-atari/?do=findComment&comment=3193315

it's a nice tool to make ATASCII screens.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...