IGNORED

RE: Darkside Chronicles Trailer

Cybergoth

Hi there!

I was very sceptical about yet another lightgun shooter, but this one apprently has very high production values. I was also really enjoying Umbrella Chronicles lately, so especially after seeing this brandnew CGI-bits trailer I'm slowly starting to look forward to RE:DC :)

Greetings,

Manuel

I loved Umbrella Chronicles - it's in my top 5 Wii games. I like light gun games, and UC was the first one that felt really designed to be played on a console - tons of levels, lots of unlockables, upgradable weapons, branching paths, etc. I'm just not sure I want to spend $50 to do it all over again. I'll definitely put it in my Gamefly queue.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IGN gave it 81%, but:

I'm not one that's usually sensitive to motion sickness – I could handle Cloverfield on the big screen or playing countless first-person shooters without feeling uncomfortably queasy. But Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles might even make gamers with stomachs of iron a bit nauseous, and not because the game's full of gross-out gore, either. Darkside Chronicles employs a "you are there" camera where the viewpoint is watched through the eyes of a scenario's chosen character instead of an independent pseudo first-person view used in other rail shooters. So when that character goes through his animations – when he looks up, down or around -- you're forced to see what he sees. When he runs through an environment your view bounces and jostles around like an '80s camcorder. I'm kind of getting seasick just thinking about it.

Bummer! :sad: :sad: :sad:

I now read all 8 english reviews for DSC found here:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/residentevilthedarksidechronicles

I'm still undecided wether I should get it or not. Besides the camera / motion sickness issues mentioned in a few of these reviews, I'm also disappointed to hear that it doesn't clearly outdo Umbrella Chronicles, but just delivers more of the same. This is mentioned in all reviews, regardless of the score.

I thought UC was pretty good, but not good enough to buy two of them...

Same arguments all around: http://wii.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r37700.htm

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles doesn’t surpass the quality of the original. In some ways, it takes a couple of steps backward. But if you loved the carnage of The Umbrella Chronicles, would like to re-explore the joys of older Resident Evil games, and have been dying for another replay value-driven on-rails shooter, The Darkside Chronicles is worth playing.

I started playing RE: darkside today. If you like the resident evil series, you may want to give res evil dark side a chance. I normally grow tired of on rial shooters, but this one is very very good. It may win you over, but not if you are not a fan of the franchise and haven't spent much time in Raccoon City, it might not be as fun. I admit I watched the animated movie when it came out and the game feels like you are in a similar movie, so I do like the franchise and I suppose that makes me a bit biased, but I dontlike all the RE games, so I am not a fanboi.

Between this game, COD modern war 2 on the pc and New Super Mario I am set for a while!!! I really think Capcom put together a winner and they should make a down loadable demo of the first level (if that is possible) because this game won me over and I think other skeptics will be won over too.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

Yep, tried it out. It's pretty decent. The first person camera movment isn't bad as some of these reviews are making it out to be and the most of it isn't even during game play but actually between scenes. Anyhow it's a good FPS for sure and the gfx are pretty damn sweet too.

Yep, tried it out. It's pretty decent. The first person camera movment isn't bad as some of these reviews are making it out to be and the most of it isn't even during game play but actually between scenes. Anyhow it's a good FPS for sure and the gfx are pretty damn sweet too.

huh? it's this game is not a FPS although it is 1st person perspective and you do shoot things come to think of it, but normally in FPS's you control the movement.

huh? it's this game is not a FPS although it is 1st person perspective and you do shoot things come to think of it, but normally in FPS's you control the movement.

Well, it is a FPS, just on rails ;)

• 1 month later...

I've been having a blast, beating this game today in two 3+ hour sessions and I had zero problems with motion sickness or the camcorder style camera. It doesn't require "stomachs of iron" or anything to play this game, the reviewer from ign is just an idiot.

The camera is actually making this a very intense "you're there" experience. And while it may ruin some shots every once in a while, you're usually not required to shoot right then anyway.

The often critisized boss battles are just fine as well. Bosses sometimes are not taking hits while transmogrifying or while being busy with certain animations, but you're always seeing wether its taking damage on their energy bar. If they're not, don't waste your ammo on them, simple as that...

"Professional" reviewers, eh? :roll:

Anyway, fun popcorn stuff. If you haven't already played Umbrella Chronicles to death, give it a try. It's even better than that, with significantly improved production values. A fine 8/10 in my book :)