IGNORED

It makes me mad!

atari52

You know it makes me mad,when people make fun of my Atari.What I mean is,some of my friends think I am craze,for even having one.When I fire up my Atari,they say things like,man those games suck.Is that a baseball,or is that a tiny square? or they say the worst cut down of all,I can get those games on my cell phone.Man,that one hurts! I tell them that,if these games are so bad,then why do some of these Atari systems,cost more than your xbox 360.Then they laugh even more.I tell them to check out Ebay.I don't even bring up,the Jaguar is it or is it not,64 bit issue.I am just so tired of these non,Atari fans.They all make fun of Atari.Even some old school gamers.What is up,with all these young gamers,that were a Atari shirt?I ask them,Do you even have a Atari system?They then give me this look like,what are you talking about.I just have an xbox. aman that makes me so mad.Its like,then take off the dam shirt.Anyway,Has anyone,checked out the cost of a true Atari Heavy sixer lately?I have seen one sell for more,than the cost of a sony ps3,no joke!So I guess I am the one who is laughing now.

Anyway,Has anyone,checked out the cost of a true Atari Heavy sixer lately?I have seen one sell for more,than the cost of a sony ps3,no joke!So I guess I am the one who is laughing now.

Really? Are you talking abpout a sealed Heavy Sixer?

If it is just a losse one, perhaps it is time for me to sell and add two hex joysticks to it as well.

I don't recall seeing it go for a lot lately though. I have been paying morea attention to other things though (Lynx) so perhaps that is why.

Speaking of Lynx, have you seen how much the promotional stuff is going for (store items, handouts, batman cardboard cutouts... etc? That stuff is getting a bit out of hand! I killed a $14.99 BIN on two items recently, only to drive the cost up to around $38 each. That wasn't my goal, but hell... I had no idea they were worth that much.

You know it makes me mad,when people make fun of my Atari.What I mean is,some of my friends think I am craze,for even having one.When I fire up my Atari,they say things like,man those games suck.Is that a baseball,or is that a tiny square? or they say the worst cut down of all,I can get those games on my cell phone.Man,that one hurts! I tell them that,if these games are so bad,then why do some of these Atari systems,cost more than your xbox 360.Then they laugh even more.I tell them to check out Ebay.I don't even bring up,the Jaguar is it or is it not,64 bit issue.I am just so tired of these non,Atari fans.They all make fun of Atari.Even some old school gamers.What is up,with all these young gamers,that were a Atari shirt?I ask them,Do you even have a Atari system?They then give me this look like,what are you talking about.I just have an xbox. aman that makes me so mad.Its like,then take off the dam shirt.Anyway,Has anyone,checked out the cost of a true Atari Heavy sixer lately?I have seen one sell for more,than the cost of a sony ps3,no joke!So I guess I am the one who is laughing now.

I've been experiencing that since the 80s, when everyone moved on to NES and I continued to play Super Breakout (and love it). I just play whatever I like and ignore the rest. Even the kid with the Atari shirt who doesn't actually play Atari is contributing to the mystique and awareness of this "other time" that had such an impact (nobody's wearing Fairchild shirts, for instance).

Similarly, I saw someone wearing a Vincent Price t-shirt and when I asked him which VP movie was his favorite he said he hadn't seen any (which I can't believe because VP was in Edward Scissorhands).

I show this to the guys who don´t like Atari 2600 games......... :x

post-10670-125087287146_thumb.gif

"Won't it be a lot of fun?

Every man will own a gun.

Shoot the ones whose point of view

Makes a point that bothers you."

From Peter Schilling's "(Let's Play) U.S.A."

:D

I wouldn't let these types of spuds bother you. They probably still think mp3's, texting, Myspace, Facebook and Twitter are all the rage.

Sounds like you're hanging out with the wrong people. ALL of the people that have been over to see my collections are awestruck.

When they see classic consoles and computers hooked up (especially the 2600), they're usually compelled to go through all the games

and spend inordinate amounts of time reminiscing about the good ol' days.

You used your only post in the past 2 years just to quote someone? WTF.....

it sucks when everyone thinks the atari is trash. my freinds and syblings wont play it with me, "BECAUSE ITS TOO OLD!!!" it drives me nuts. i hardly get to play combat and other stuff cuz of that. I'm 15 and i think that it would be worse with younger people like me.

it sucks when everyone thinks the atari is trash. my freinds and syblings wont play it with me, "BECAUSE ITS TOO OLD!!!" it drives me nuts. i hardly get to play combat and other stuff cuz of that. I'm 15 and i think that it would be worse with younger people like me.

I'm 14, and I know exactly what you are talking about. Luckily, I have a little brother who is in classic games and doesn't object when I ask to play some Atari. Also, my dad will sometimes play too, to quote him, "Now, these games are a little more my speed". :P

I'm 14, and I know exactly what you are talking about. Luckily, I have a little brother who is in classic games and doesn't object when I ask to play some Atari. Also, my dad will sometimes play too, to quote him, "Now, these games are a little more my speed". :P

My dad rarely plays games with me. He says he's afraid he'll get addicted to them, and it will disrupt him from the things he needs to do. Fair Enough, although every now and then we'll play.

I found a loose mint heavy 6 last winter for $39.99 at a thrift shop.If it was a year before that,it would have sold for $7.99,as i have seen them.The thrift shops are catching on these things and raising the prices.

I lent a spare 6-switcher to a friend of mine recently, along with a load of games.

She's only 21, and now she's hooked! I ended up giving her the console.

Coincidentally, when she first got it, her 15-year-old brother popped round wearing an Atari t-shirt. He had never played Atari before, so got the chance to see what all the fuss was about!

I lent a spare 6-switcher to a friend of mine recently, along with a load of games.

Coincidentally, when she first got it, her 15-year-old brother popped round wearing an Atari t-shirt. He had never played Atari before, so got the chance to see what all the fuss was about!

The key is education, my friends. I've told this story in a previous thread, but I'm an elementary school teacher. One of my courses is on pop culture from the 50s-80s. When I get into the 70s, I bring in my Atari and set it up on the projection screen. At first, the kids laugh at the graphics and sounds. But then I let them get into pairs and play Combat. They can't get enough of it. I have yet to hear a single student say that it sucks. Some kids have even gone home and asked their parents if they have an Atari and could they pull it out so they can play it.

Get 'em when they're young...they'll learn to respect the classics. :)

The key is education, my friends. I've told this story in a previous thread, but I'm an elementary school teacher. One of my courses is on pop culture from the 50s-80s. When I get into the 70s, I bring in my Atari and set it up on the projection screen. At first, the kids laugh at the graphics and sounds. But then I let them get into pairs and play Combat. They can't get enough of it. I have yet to hear a single student say that it sucks. Some kids have even gone home and asked their parents if they have an Atari and could they pull it out so they can play it.

:) Yeah, that's nice. Keep it up!

However, did you ever face criticism from parents or your colleaques? Especially as Combat is a game of shooting?

My story is WORSE than yours! My friends grew up with Atari and have not moved away from video games altogether unless you count that stupid "Mafia Wars" crap they play on FB. So I am hangin' with people who have experienced the glory of the VCS and have totally forgotten it's worth and instead hang with Uncle Vito or whatnot lol!

Wp

There were some great multiplayer games for the Atari 2600. My favorites are Combat, Warlords, and Pong (Video Olympics). A group of people can have as much fun playing those games as any video games ever made IMO (I'm not much of an Atari 2600 fan either). Unfortunately, their greatest strength is also their greatest weakness; i.e., you have to have other people around to play or they are useless games. Artillery Duel is another game like that (I especially like the ColecoVision version).

Maybe I just happen to surround myself with more intelligent people, but when I bring someone over to hang out, the sight of my 2600, humble four-switch as it is, is generally met with praise, nostalgia, reverence, or a blend of the three. I've never had someone laugh at my Atari, or my NES; on the contrary, it seems to garner extra "cool points".

Who cares if your friends put down Atari,get over it.I'll never understand why folks get personally insulted when others voice their opinions negatively about their interests and likings.Cant expect everyone to agree with you

However, it's not just Atari, and it's even not just games. Sometimes I wonder if some people (or even lots of people) just are not capable of nostalgia.

If I were to guess, out of every 10 people I know...

1 understands and appreciates why I have an Atari...

2 understand why I like the Atari, however don't share my feelings

3 just shrug and don't care at all

3 laugh or tease me about it

1 expresses worries I might have mental problems

No, I'm not making the last one up, although it was not about game consoles, but once I got into a talk about old hardware in general and said I could actually imagine buying an old table calculator that uses rolls of paper, and even use it, just for the sake for nostalgia, and I got really invested in the conversation, tried everything to somehow invoke the feeling of nostalgia in the others, or just explain it to them, like "think about having a calculator like that on your desk, it's really physically there, when you type on it you hear the click-clacking sounds of the keyboard, the paper roll moving, yadda yadda" but it didn't help at all. But not enough of that, some weeks later, two of those people started to get me into a "serious talk" about that "incident", why did I behave like that, expressed their worries I might have a drug problem or just be mentally ill. I couldn't really believe it and at first though they were joking, but they were dead serious about it!

I haven't talked to one of those two ever since (at least if you don't count "Hi there!" if I meet him accidently), and even while I still have quite regular contact with the other one, this topic was never really resolved, and we both just avoid it as we know all it will result in is arguing.

Long story short, this might be one of the most irritating experiences, it sure made some impact on me. That's why I think some people just are not capable of nostalgia. If they even think of nostalgia as mental illness, it's clear they don't know the feeling at all.