IGNORED

What's so great about a heavy sixer?

godzillajoe

Is it just because it's the "original" ?

Maybe I just wish I still had ours.

Gave that one to my cousin when I got a C= 64

But a friend of mine gave me his 4 switch when he got an Atari 800

And that one will have to do.

So.... yeah.

Well, I guess because it was the original Atari 2600, it had alot more switches, and because it had a nice 70's style.

It has much better picture ;)

Prob so due to the extra shielding but since I got shed of my RF Switch my Vader is crystal clear.

Wp

I think what they mean is that the heavy sixer has a "saturation booster" in it, so the colors are more intense... However it's propably a matter of taste, on my Vader I'm perfectly satisfied with the colors, depending on the game I still turn down the saturation at my TV, so if I had a heavy sixer it would mean I'd have to turn down the saturation on my TV even more.

If you just want to play Atari, any Atari will do.

The appeal of the heavy six (and the light six, for that matter) is the styling. The thing is just retro cool. And it's the icon. The whole system had a nice 70's techy look to it, and was well designed for the time.

Plus, they say "Video Computer System" on them, and for me, that is my absolute favorite bit. The simple, tech oriented language was just perfect for the time. I still say VCS more than I do 2600.

OK, here are the cool things about a Heavy Sixer.

1. It is much rarer than a regular Atari 2600. Remember the Atari 2600 did not really take off until 1980 when Space Invaders was ported to the system.

2. It was the very first edition.

3. Most were made in America. After the Heavy Sixer almost all the rest were made in Taiwan.

4. It has more RF shielding than any of the other Atari 2600 systems. This is why it was so heavy.

To be honest, if you think about it, the Heavy Sixer is actually undervalued. You can pick up a Heavy Sixer for around the same price as a regular system with out much effort. There are many sellers who have no idea as to what a Heavy Sixer is. Because of this, all you have to do is look at the picture, and see the U-Shaped front. Only Heavy Sixers were U-Shaped. The ones listed as a Heavy Sixer will cost you more, but many go not listed as a Heavy every single week.

Edit: OK, maybe these are a little harder to find on Ebay than I thought. I did find one that was sold 8 days ago for a pretty good price. It's clear as day a Heavy Sixer, and comes with 41 game, and it still goes for around $71 with shipping included.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atari-2600-Lot-System-41-Games-1-Joysticks-PADDLES_W0QQitemZ270440317318QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef77fc186&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Edited by homerwannabee

The 1st release of anything is usually,not always the best built.True in the 2600's case.After a while due to inflation,the cost of duplicating the 1st is too costly,so it's cheapened to hell.The heavy 6 is to me simply the best built rugged 2600.Plus finding a nice h6 is a lot harder to do than the other models.

Edited by Rik

I do see better picture quality with my heavy 6er as opposed to a 4-switch I keep out for cartridge testing purposes (comparing both on the same television). Also, I never have any cartridge compatibility issues.

For some real retro fun, I will on occasion bust out some CX-10s for the heavy 6er and let guests experience the best that 1977 had to offer.

I'm still not sure how you tell a heavy from a light sixer.

Aside from any visual differences, I'd think that once you've picked up a heavy sixer, you won't be mistaking any light sixers for heavies any more. ;)

Michael

Very true!!! :thumbsup: