IGNORED

What homebrew projects would you like to see, and for what system?

Just a topic starter.

Personally, I would like to see Doom on any system after 2600 but before NES. Obviously a true FPS isnt possible, but something like AD&D Treasure of Tarmin (Minotaur) would be pretty cool.

I would also like to a 3 screen side scrolling Mario game for the 2600, the third level would be something like the end of the castles in SMB1, where the bridge dissapears and Koopa falls into the lava. I imagine this using the Mario/ Luigi sprites from the 2600 Mario Bros.

Also, I would love to do Cartridge/ Instruction/ Sprite art!

What - you don't want to see Doom done in Batari basic? : ]

There seems to be some momentum in the Satan's Hollow port for the ColecoVision. At least at this point it has caught the eye of several all-star developers.

There was some other thread that someone wrote saying "stop requesting home brews" and to me it was really "snotty." I say that because it encourages broken communication between developers and gamers. The request threads, I would have to believe, give developers an idea for demand. In the case of Satan's Hollow, one developer never played the game.

If someone knows what thread I'm referring to, please post a link so that you can judge for yourself.

I would also like to see a Pac-Man Collection II for the ColecoVision with ports of Jr. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man Plus, Ms. Pac-Man SpeedUp Hack and I guess Super Pac-Man (to be a completest and the fact that some believe it to be underrated).

Jr. Pac-Man on the 7800 simply kicks butt. Whoever wrote the 2600 port must have been a really p155ed off individual because it is undeniably the toughest game on the 2600. I probably played the game 200 times and only reached level 2 three times. I still like to play it, even if it constantly throws "you suck" insults at me.

What - you don't want to see Doom done in Batari basic? : ]

There seems to be some momentum in the Satan's Hollow port for the ColecoVision. At least at this point it has caught the eye of several all-star developers.

There was some other thread that someone wrote saying "stop requesting home brews" and to me it was really "snotty." I say that because it encourages broken communication between developers and gamers. The request threads, I would have to believe, give developers an idea for demand. In the case of Satan's Hollow, one developer never played the game.

If someone knows what thread I'm referring to, please post a link so that you can judge for yourself.

I would also like to see a Pac-Man Collection II for the ColecoVision with ports of Jr. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man Plus, Ms. Pac-Man SpeedUp Hack and I guess Super Pac-Man (to be a completest and the fact that some believe it to be underrated).

Jr. Pac-Man on the 7800 simply kicks butt. Whoever wrote the 2600 port must have been a really p155ed off individual because it is undeniably the toughest game on the 2600. I probably played the game 200 times and only reached level 2 three times. I still like to play it, even if it constantly throws "you suck" insults at me.

The first person who replied to this thread posted the link to the exact thread your talking about. And yes, it was very snotty and pissed me right off. Mostly because some people were stating that sprite animators and artist should receive no credit, because the programmer does the "real" work. I dont think it went down like that at Activision, or Imagic, or Mattel, or even any modern gaming studios. Anyone who put forth some sort of effort should get proper credit.

Im sure not all developers feel the same as some of those who posted there though. If people want to post ideas, let them post ideas, it aint hurting nothing. Now if you were demanding your ideas directly at developers, that would be another story.

The first person who replied to this thread posted the link to the exact thread your talking about. And yes, it was very snotty and pissed me right off.

I think I was the one that posted the link. The first time I read that thread, I thought it was way over the top. But after homebrewing for 100's of hours (probably, I don't count the hours), I agree with that thread. But you're right, posting ideas (the game I'm working on started in a thread like this...) doesn't hurt. And ofcourse if someone cooperates in creating sprites/sound, they should be credited.

:P You referring to my "To All Non-Programmer Idea Peddlers" thread/post? :ponder:

:lol:

I suppose I should have toned it down a bit - but still, right at the beginning of the post I wrote this:

That said, a good, well-thought out, well-presented idea is worth looking at, always.

It was in response to a lot of, ahem, sh***y ideas that were presented in a rude, presumptious, poorly-written way.

Here's a good example of a homebrew idea that, not coincidentally, was actually picked up by a programmer and taken about 90% of the way to becoming a game.

Contrast with this waste of space, and this, or this, or this.

Or the 4000th thread requesting a better 2600 DK. :roll:

Edited by vdub_bobby

Or the 4000th thread requesting a better 2600 DK. :roll:

Yeah but as long as there are newbies to Atari Age, the 4001st thread on "Donkey Kong Arcade" for the 2600 is going to be written.

If I'm a topic starter, I'm guilty (as I think most are) of not searching to see if there is an existing topic before posting.

Im sure not all developers feel the same as some of those who posted there though. If people want to post ideas, let them post ideas, it aint hurting nothing. Now if you were demanding your ideas directly at developers, that would be another story.

I'll admit I haven't put all that much time into 7800 programming. But I don't see any reason for anybody to get irritated because somebody posts game suggestions. I find those to be among the more interesting threads on this site. It's unlikely that I'll want to work on somebody else's game, but they're still interesting to read.

And if they're not interesting, or just some loser lying about his background and trying to get someone else to do all the work, then I'll click the back button. Threads like that don't occur often enough to get worked up about it.

Realistically, any time I spend on the 7800 is going to be spent on my own ideas, and I'm sure most programmers are the same way. But it's fun to talk about game ideas so I have no problem with those threads.

I guess I'll be the only one here to say this.

ORIGINALS.

Not based on a movie, a comic book, a TV show, or any other existing property.

I appreciate stuff like Juno First or Ballblazer but there just aren't enough originals being written anymore, outside of stuff like the holiday carts.

I'm wondering how something like Bomberman would work on a 2600. It would probably be ghosty like the Pacman port, but I think it would be well within the machine's capabilities.

Edited by Frotz

I think somebody started it but had problems with the graphics required.

I know how that feels. I went into my current project saying 'here is what I am going to do' and as I got deeper, trying to figure out how to pull it off, has been very non-trivial. I have tons of respect for the 2600 programmers that came before me figuring this stuff out.

--Selgus