IGNORED

What would you do if you win the lottery?

Philsan

An Italian won Europe's biggest ever lottery jackpot of more than 147 million euros ($210.5 million) on Saturday (August 22).

What would you do for Atari 8-bit if you win the lottery?

First of all I would finance GR8 software so they can hire programmers to make the 8-bit classic games missing on Atari platform and sell them with beautiful packages (releasing binaries for free like they do now).

I would ask Curt to make a 25th edition Atari XE enhanced with SDrive, SIO2PC (usb) and 1MB of memory.

I would finance an Atari museum.

An Italian won Europe's biggest ever lottery jackpot of more than 147 million euros ($210.5 million) on Saturday (August 22).

First of all I would finance GR8 software so they can hire programmers to make the 8-bit classic games missing on Atari platform and sell them with beautiful packages (releasing binaries for free like they do now).

I would ask Curt to make a 25th edition Atari XE enhanced with SDrive, SIO2PC (usb) and 1MB of memory.

I would finish the dozen or so projects I've started on the A8. I only end up having a few hours a week I can spend on this stuff. :( Plus, I'd probably host some killer retro parties. :)

Oh, and as long as we're talking about re-releasing the 8-bit, how about a decked-out 1450-style machine instead of an XE.

Edited by Bryan

In Canada, lottery winnings are tax free; you only pay tax on any interest or other earnings.

If the prize were very large (more than a few million) I'd give some to friends and family; not enough that they could quit their jobs but enough to pay off the mortgage or not wory too much about money.

I would certainly quit my job. I love to travel, so I would spend some time backpacking and travelling around the world.

If I won an obscene amount of money (like $30 million plus) I would want to buy one of those Russian space tourist trips...

Mmm, a nice dream....

Hello people.

I have this idea for years. I never post here, because you could think it was silly!...

Here, in the center of Lisbon is a closed store (1200m2) for some months in front of one of the most knowning shopping centers. My idea is rent it to create a small museum with all the machines, posters and all kind of things. But with a two in store departments:

1 - Pins, t-shitrs, and sell of Atari modern games.

2 - Contact with Nolan Busnell to open the first of it Burguer's Shop outside U.S.A. as a franchising.

Get with Atari/Infogrames the rights to open more franchising stores like this in Europe/World.

Get you coders around there with a good payment, to do all that lost/unreleased games on A8. Create a virtual WEB place where we can play or download to mobile phones, them and all the others A8 games.

Dream does not cost anything.

But first I have to start gambling.

Bye,

José Pereira.

You dont have to win the lotto to be a full time atari programmer..

Just get a van... set all your atari shit up in it.. and live in it.. and park in a different place every night, stealing electricity from some public place, or some unknowing person.. Youd have to do a certain amount of begging at gas stations and city intersections, in order to pay for food and gas.. but for the most part, you could live expense free, and do all the programming you want..

You dont have to win the lotto to be a full time atari programmer..

Just get a van... set all your atari shit up in it.. and live in it.. and park in a different place every night, stealing electricity from some public place, or some unknowing person.. Youd have to do a certain amount of begging at gas stations and city intersections, in order to pay for food and gas.. but for the most part, you could live expense free, and do all the programming you want..

That sounds like a beautiful life. Once again, however, I suspect my wife may object. I'll run the idea by her when she's in a good mood.

If I won the lottery I'd commission a one-chip A8 system to be built with all the modern bells and whistles. It would of course be a limited run of about 50 units or so. That exclusivity would come with a hefty price-tag to recoup R&D costs...

Edited by dwhyte

I'd like to set up a retro computing venue of some kind. I'm thinking along the lines of a coffee shop where you go have a drink and play on one of a range of classic computers, consoles or arcade machines. Maybe with a vintage/retro computing and gaming museum tagged on. Not specifically Atari, but of course the Ataris would have pride of place and there'd be frequent Mule and Castle Crisis tournaments.

I live in a seaside town that's seen the end of it's grandest days and there are a few old amusement arcades lying vacant. Maybe I can get one cheap when I retire and do it without the lottery win.

What I'd do for Atari.... pretty much what some of you others would...

1. I'd become a full time programmer

2. I'd hire someone to work with me and teach me things, someone off here probably...

3. Together we'd program some of the games which never made it to the Atari

Interesting question. 10-15 years ago, while hanging out drinking with a friend, the topic came up that if you won 100 million dollars in the lottery, what sorts of things would you do. After the main round of things I'd want to buy, and trips to take, and amounts to give away to family and friends, I had a few 'out there' thoughts. One of them was that I would love to track down some of the original programmers of Alternate Reality (Phil Price and Gary Gilbertson) as well as some people out there who are still 'into' messing with the old Atari 8-bits, and hire them to FINISH the game. Forget the multiple installments. Just make a 1 game expansion that would let you take your old character and exit the city/dungeon, and be able to finish the game and return your character back home. Combine a shortened 'wilderness', 'revelation', etc expansions into one and let me finally finish it. If I had 100 million, I'd happily be willing to hand over 1 million for that priviledge.

"Hey Phil, how'd you like to make a couple extra hundred thousand???"

:)

I'd call the wife and tell her that I won the lottery and to pack some bags.

When she asked if she should pack for warm weather or cold,

I would say "I don't care as long as you are out of the house by the time I get home"

:roll:

post-2756-125141446151_thumb.jpg

Edited by emkay

If I won the lottery I would provide an incentive for Atari 8-bit programmers and hobbyists from all over the globe to develop new Atari 8-bit software and hardware. What kind of incentive would that be? Perhaps a private foundation where the Atari 8-bit community can apply for grants to develop new Atari 8-bit products that help to stimulate and sustain the Atari 8-bit community and hobby as a whole. There are a lot of great product ideas out there, but it costs time and money.

I'd go with the flashback anniversary XE... in fpga... so it could be easily moded for things like CPU upgrades (actually, I’d like to have an option to boot as an enhanced XE with upgraded CPU, with and ram video upgrades). Might leave the keyboard out to present it as a game machine / Christmas gift… but it’d would have a PS2 port on the side and yeah, sio2sd (I’d use sio2ide, but same diff) and sio2pc… These would be the storage system (it would need a cart slot but if I sold any software I’d use SD cards).

If I was really throwing money around I might also have Ethernet added and pay someone to write an IP stack and simple browser (just have the thing start with an upgraded CPU core and ability to address more memory)… then people could download new games for fee and pick up the old ones for free from the archive sites… Its not that any of this is really hard, its that it takes too many skill sets for one person to do themselves (most know one , maybe two things… but this takes 4 or 5 skill sets)… but if you had a budget for the project to hire someone with all the skills (and or a 2-3 person team…)…. Some of the more complex pieces are already done (like PC format file viewers). It would also be really cool because, with the use of a middle man, this would open up for multi player games over the internet. I have a few strategy games I’d like to write but… I’d want them to be multiplayer…

The keyboard could also be a cheap add on accessory. Pitch it as a way to play games that need a keyboard, to learn programming, and to use the internet option. Thanks to microcontrollers, learning to program basic and old CPUs is useful again… Heck, if someone wants to be a real rebel they can use it as their word processor (oh yeah, better add some good 80 col mode support to the thing)…

If I won the lottery, especially one that big, everybody in the family would get taken care of. Pay off homes, set up some trusts and such, so they are not in trouble, but still needing to be ordinary people, working, etc... Send some young people to school too.

My wife and I would go mobile and travel. Perfect chance to visit my fellow atarians all over the world :)

There would be a foundation setup for "Atari Summer Of Code" ---> One for Propeller too. My two favorite micro-sized things to program on and play games on. That foundation would pay for completed projects, judged according to some basic criteria and manned by alphas in the community, decided by election. Any infighting means you are out too. It's all got to be fun. Submit a project, get approved and get initial hardware funds, if needed, then go.

Another foundation would be to produce Atari / Propeller related stuff and keep it available.

I suspect both of these would not even come close to touching a win like that. Great fun! And what a way to be remembered huh?

I'd call the wife and tell her that I won the lottery and to pack some bags.

When she asked if she should pack for warm weather or cold,

I would say "I don't care as long as you are out of the house by the time I get home"

:roll:

Please don't post pics of my wife without her permission.

Thanks

I'd go with the flashback anniversary XE... in fpga... so it could be easily moded for things like CPU upgrades (actually, I’d like to have an option to boot as an enhanced XE with upgraded CPU, with and ram video upgrades). Might leave the keyboard out to present it as a game machine / Christmas gift… but it’d would have a PS2 port on the side and yeah, sio2sd (I’d use sio2ide, but same diff) and sio2pc… These would be the storage system (it would need a cart slot but if I sold any software I’d use SD cards).

I'm really conflicted when it comes to FPGA-based upgrades because it diverges from the retro hardware so much. Suddenly you're using new very-capable hardware to simulate old not-so-capable hardware and it becomes not much different than using an emulator.

It would be a fun project, though.