IGNORED

.j64 conversion program for converting to real eproms?

Pas

Is there a program out there to convert .j64 images into images that can be burned to real eproms and used on true hardware? I have a cart with a bad rom and wanted to replace it with an eprom (yes I have a burner already) and have tried splitting and burning the .j64 file directly and also tried jag2rom which made the file too large to be burned to an eprom properly. Any advice?

• Like 6

Is there a program out there to convert .j64 images into images that can be burned to real eproms and used on true hardware? I have a cart with a bad rom and wanted to replace it with an eprom (yes I have a burner already) and have tried splitting and burning the .j64 file directly and also tried jag2rom which made the file too large to be burned to an eprom properly. Any advice?

buy the game. :ponder:

You could try and find a rip of the ROM in a different format. (lots seem to be in .jag, but those might not be any better)

That might not be the problem either, sometimes the EPROM won't burn properly either. (and you have the right type of EPROM -pinout and data size, right?)

Surely he has an EPROM w/ the same pinout... remember, he is trying to repair his broken game.

What is the game in question?

Its Checkerd Flag.

You could try and find a rip of the ROM in a different format. (lots seem to be in .jag, but those might not be any better)

That might not be the problem either, sometimes the EPROM won't burn properly either. (and you have the right type of EPROM -pinout and data size, right?)

Yeah I have some 27C800 chips that I am testing with. I have burned plenty of roms in the past (to repair arcade boards) and the burner does tripple verification checking against the buffer once its burned so I dont think that its a bad burn...more thinking that somehow the header is incorrect or needs to be changed when attempting to burn the rom instead of using under an emulator like the files are set up for.

I guess another option I havent really thought about is that it could be the PCB is bad as well. Time to bring out the multimeter and start checking traces...

Edited by Pas
  • Like 4

Its Checkerd Flag.

Yeah I have some 27C800 chips that I am testing with. I have burned plenty of roms in the past (to repair arcade boards) and the burner does tripple verification checking against the buffer once its burned so I dont think that its a bad burn...more thinking that somehow the header is incorrect or needs to be changed when attempting to burn the rom instead of using under an emulator like the files are set up for.

I guess another option I havent really thought about is that it could be the PCB is bad as well. Time to bring out the multimeter and start checking traces...

When you split it, did you do an even/odd split?

Mitch

• Like 4

Its Checkerd Flag.

The game runs about $5.00 on ebay :ponder:

Edited by walter_J64bit

Its Checkerd Flag.

I know Walt.. This is all b/s, I sent him a pm stating that I would send a naked Check Flag for the price of shipping.... Guess that EPROM chips are cheaper... ;)

Hi Pas!

Please ignore the ramblings of some of the less helpful people around here. I believe the attached file might be of some use to you. It's the Atari encryption utility that was release by Curt Vendel a while back, and allows the rom image to be split in several ways. I can't remember but you might have to strip the first 8k off the rom image to use this or at least pad it with zeroes. Source code is also included, so take a look.

Good luck repairing that cartridge. The less Atari stuff that ends up in the bin the better.

jagcrypt.zip

• Like 5

sure lets turn this into freejag II

What a great idea - I assume you mean a friendly environment where you can ask a polite question and get a polite, helpful reply from others without being attacked and branded by certain ignorant folk - Yes, I agree, and I'm sure so will many other people. Nice suggestion Dan! Thanks for putting it on the table :-)

• Like 7

sure lets turn this into freejag II

What a great idea - I assume you mean a friendly environment where you can ask a polite question and get a polite, helpful reply from others without being attacked and branded by certain ignorant folk - Yes, I agree, and I'm sure so will many other people. Nice suggestion Dan! Thanks for putting it on the table :-)

I'm struggling hard to find a minus point too - please proceed as proposed!

• Like 4

Yeah but $5-10+shipping = more than a rom I already have as well as another cartridge in the bin...which I prefer not to do unless I have to.

I know Walt.. This is all b/s, I sent him a pm stating that I would send a naked Check Flag for the price of shipping.... Guess that EPROM chips are cheaper... ;)

Nope...just took me some time to get back to you :) I'll definatly take that offer.

Problem solved...I can reuse the case and just have to toss the PCB...so its not all bad.

• Like 1

Yeah but $5-10+shipping = more than a rom I already have as well as another cartridge in the bin...which I prefer not to do unless I have to.

Nope...just took me some time to get back to you :) I'll definatly take that offer.

Problem solved...I can reuse the case and just have to toss the PCB...so its not all bad.

But somebody already offered you one for free I smell something very fishy here and don't give a crap if you all jump on me for saying it.

But somebody already offered you one for free I smell something very fishy here and don't give a crap if you all jump on me for saying it.

And if you read all the posts above you will notice that I took them up on the offer and stated that the problem was solved...nothing "fishy" going on...just want a working game thats all.

• Like 1

Given the recent revelations ANYONE asking how to burn roms (especially for common games where there is probaly more carts in circulation than actual Jags) is asking for trouble.

I don't know why you're pressing this issue. I've already stated that his question was not against forum policy and that I saw no problem with it. If you are trying to stir up trouble in a thread that was already resolved, I would highly advise against it.

• Like 2

I don't know why you're pressing this issue. I've already stated that his question was not against forum policy and that I saw no problem with it. If you are trying to stir up trouble in a thread that was already resolved, I would highly advise against it.

Thank you Sauron.

For all those that want the full story read on...for those that dont just ignore the rest of this post.

I regularly repair arcade boards and hence have an eprom burner and multiple blank roms at my disposal. I collect video games as well and HATE throwing out what is repairable as it just leads to less and less games and hardware out there for people to enjoy. I dont know alot about the jaguar or its software but recently picked one up at a garadge sale and plan on giving it to my nephiew next time I get to see him. Along with the system I picked up two games (Checkered Flag and Cybermorph). Unfortunatly Checkered Flag did not work. I planned on repairing it as I already had the means but since I was offered a bare PCB I chose to go ahead and just dump the broken one and replace it as no one is going to be playing the caseless one anyway. I appreciate the help I got from those that did...and understand the initial reaction thinking that I am a pirate (I guess I will just have to post some pics of my collections and hope that shows I dont support piracy but rather collecting). I really didnt mean to start anything, I just wanted help so I didnt have to waist what could be repaired.

Thanks again...and if anyone has some super cheap games that I could get my hands on for my nephiew before I see him next (besides the two listed above) please let me know. I dont have alot of money to be giving away right now but the more games I can give him the better...although please only one person games as there is only one controller with the system. I will post some pictures of him with the system for everyone to enjoy when I give it to him.

• Like 3