IGNORED

How to Create Custom 7800 Pacman Hacks!

jwierer

...are you sure?

I looked at all of the pics first (because I just assumed the number was inside them) - but I could not make out any numbers in the boxes... they all look like a straight line.

Yep. The numbers are tiny, three-pixels wide, five pixels high. Believe me, I've done enough pixel-mapping for this sort of thing. :) The easiest way to tell is to not try to read what numbers they are, but notice the differences in the graphics as you go from left to right. There's SLIGHT pixel differences (in the pic above) as you go from left to right. When you recognize those, you can quickly tell what they're supposed to be. In this case, '2' through '5'.

(This does mean, of course, that I was wrong when I said '1' through '4' before.. but I just noted that they were numbers and not that they were counting the lives as 'spares' down there. So, my bad on that point.)

Edited by Jaynz

Added the numbers.

I also did one thing for the 'single player' option: I noticed that the 'computer player' dies very quickly. So, I changed it so the computer opponent doesn't die completely until you do. i.e. as long as you have lives left, the computer opponent will also.

MsPacTwn.A78

MsPacTwn.BIN

• Like 1

That's not a bad idea. No idea how to easily improve Alt-Pac's logic, though... it should have some sort of 'there's a ghost in front of me, time to dodge' logic... Also, in that mode, since Alt-Pac has infinite lives, probably shouldn't keep track of the numbers.

And lastly (and I'm sure your tired of me by now), there should be some sort of timer/response for when you're 'down' ... similar to how ghosts blink before going back to 'active'.

Added the numbers.

I also did one thing for the 'single player' option: I noticed that the 'computer player' dies very quickly. So, I changed it so the computer opponent doesn't die completely until you do. i.e. as long as you have lives left, the computer opponent will also.

Ok - final for now:

- Changed HSC value, it now has it's own.

- Changed LOGO!!!!

- Remove 'computer' lives counter when playing one player

:)

You could just give the CPU infinite lives and make that an option for Player 2 via the difficulty switches. My fiance is terrible at Pacman so infinite lives for player 2 wouldn't be a bad idea. It worked out great with Tails having infinite lives as an "assist" player in Sonic 2. :)

A novice player could "help" the expert player without depleting the life pool. Remember the fun factor was a secondary purpose of arcade games. The primary purpose was to gobble quarters. Console games are meant to be fun so anything to make the game more accessible would be great.

You could also have both players start with 3-5 lives and simply hit the action button on the controller to join in if all their lives expire. Restarting would reset the player's score however. Many coop multiplayer arcade games would let a second player join in at any time or continue with a coin insert. As long as one player still has lives remaining, the game would continue. It could go into single player w/ CPU mode if one player exhausts all his/her lives.

I don't necessarily feel that making an exact copy of the arcade game (which was a cheap hack in the first place) is the best way to approach this project. Just add features and take this in whatever direction you want and the final result will be better for it.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Fantastic work as always, Bob! Really glad to see you're back to work on Pac series, thanks for sharing it. :)

Bob, if it is not too difficult to implement, I was wondering if you can like update the score zone in 320 mode and also if it is possible to use the palette of the Ms. Pac-Man sprite order to have the color yellow for "ready" and the red for "game over".

Thinking about it, in all sincerity, it could be a little/nice updating even for your Pac-Man Collection ...

Regardless, always a big thank you for your kind attention.

Marco

post-29074-0-79726900-1432404934_thumb.png

• Like 4

Hi guys:

Unfortunately, we can't change the color of the text in the middle because we only have three colors (Red, Pink, and Green), which are all used by the playfield. I guess I could cut that section out to make it a different charmode DL with a different palette, but to me, it's not worth it for a message that appears for 2 seconds.

:(

Thanks again,

Bob

Hmm... So, about ready to put this to bed. To make this a 'finished' cart there isn't a lot more that I would do, personally. It looks like the game play is pretty much there. Ready for finishing tweak and pestering Al to get a cart made now? :)

Hi guys:

Unfortunately, we can't change the color of the text in the middle because we only have three colors (Red, Pink, and Green), which are all used by the playfield. I guess I could cut that section out to make it a different charmode DL with a different palette, but to me, it's not worth it for a message that appears for 2 seconds.

:(

Thanks again,

Bob

No worries. Thanks for reply, Bob. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...