IGNORED

Fake Quadrun Lab Loaner?

Vectorman0

Maybe best electronics? They sold fake Quadrun prototypes.

Yep, it's a Best fake. I once bought one:/

Yep, 100%, you can tell by the font. I also got suckered into one, many years ago, cool bit of trivia though, it has a real mask ROM Quadrun PCB inside. ;)

It's also not the final version of the game, so it's sort of a proto anyway. It just has a fake label.

Mitch

Why would they put a non-final version on mask ROM? :?

I have no idea, probably the same reason as Dukes of Hazzard (and Donald Duck?).

The dumps are different though.

Mitch

• 1 month later...

Yep, 100%, you can tell by the font. I also got suckered into one, many years ago, cool bit of trivia though, it has a real mask ROM Quadrun PCB inside. ;)

Looking at that pic... it is so fuzzy... how can you tell by the Font? I am looking at a real one now and looks the same... shoot, maybe I have a fake one too...

post-18069-125679081433_thumb.jpg

Edited by JustJeff2

Looking at that pic... it is so fuzzy... how can you tell by the Font? I am looking at a real one now and looks the same... shoot, maybe I have a fake one too...

Obviously with the way Best sold those things, most Quadrun protos are fakes. So yeah, yours very well could be a fake.

How can you tell a fake one from a real one?

Aperently there are others bidding on this who think it's a real proto also....hence the price.

I'm sure the seller is surprised. :)

Actually, I wonder if someone shouldn't send the seller a message and warn him? He admits in his auction he doesn't know anything about the games, doesn't even have a Atari to try them out. If someone pays a lot of money for this lot thinking it's a real proto and then finds it isn't.....they probaly would blame the seller and things can get nasty.

Maybe just the seller adding a quick line saying 'The Quadrun game is NOT a real proto, but a reproduction'.

And what's the deal with Best? I've heard the name tossed around from time to time -- anyone got a linky with more info? :)

First off, Best has been known to have made fake Quadrun prototypes, and the label looks newish, which should raise your suspicion. It may be hard to tell from the photo, but the font is different, and the corners on the label are not rounded. Here is a picture of a real prototype for reference:

post-12776-125684294552_thumb.jpg

Ah, I see. I don't know anything about Best Electronics so that's why I asked. Didn't know it was a real cart.

Okay, the seller just adding a quick line saying that would probaly take care of any possible issues.

Of course, the seller could know all of this and just be lying out of his teeth. :)

First off, Best has been known to have made fake Quadrun prototypes, and the label looks newish, which should raise your suspicion. It may be hard to tell from the photo, but the font is different, and the corners on the label are not rounded. Here is a picture of a real prototype for reference:

post-12776-125684294552_thumb.jpg

There is a close up of the fake label in this post:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/113994-possible-two-different-quadrun-cartridges/page__view__findpost__p__1378505