IGNORED

SECAM synthcart

cubadri

Hi as I understand (on Paul Slocum website) SECAM VCS can't run correctly the synthcart it can acces only the half of the TIA sound. Anyone has tested this, or has more info about a utopian SECAM version of synthcart?

MY VCS has "SECAM VHF" printed on the PCB next to the video module, and as I'm a very clever guy, I guess it's a F****** Secam version...

I'm going to look for a NTSC or PAL version on the market...

If anyone has infos about mods to turn my 2600 in PAL or NTSC let me know...

From an hopeless guy in south of France.

The problem is that the synthcart uses the TV TYPE switch which on SECAM VCS is wired differently than NTSC or PAL.

If you look at the schematics, you'll see that on PAL and NTSC VCS the 5 switches on the console (TV TYPE, LEFT and RIGHT DIFFICULTY, SELECT and RESET) are connected to 5 lines of the I/O chip, so that their state can be read by the software which then takes the action it was programmed to take.

post-10599-125279357645_thumb.png

On the SECAM VCS the pin of the I/O chip which should connect the TV TYPE switch is hardwired to ground (from the software point of view the switch is always in B&W position), while the actual switch on the console is connected to the video circuit so that in the B&W position the color in the video signal is turned off.

If you have some skills in electronics you could mod your console to have a proper TV TYPE switch. You have to install a simple on-off switch somewhere on the case connected between pin 21 of the 6532 chip and ground (you must cut the existing connection between that pin and ground first).

Else you must buy a PAL or NTSC console to use the synthcart.

Thanks Alex, I knew there were some mods for that. I just bought a new VCS about $15, a SECAM I guess i'm in france. It's black one I'll use it exclusivly for mod, I'll try to make a standalone synth, I need to look for keyboard padle shematics, (I only got joystik and tennis padle) to make a built-in key on the VCS, with pitch, circuitbend matrix patch... That an idea... The mod of TV switch is quite simple thanks a lot, I was to lazy to google it, anyway all google search about atari bring me back here, on this wonderfull forum.

Maybe some people in america are looking for a SECAM, I can make an exchange...

What do you think?