IGNORED

Hit The 8-bit Motherlode!

Tempest

I was searching Craigs List this morning when I came across an ad for Atari 8-bit stuff. The ad said that this person had collected a lot of 8-bit stuff from their friends over the years but wanted to get rid of it (or rather the wife did). They had a few pictures of some misc 8-bit stuff in boxes but they really didn't show much, nor did the ad mention a price. I decided to ask how much they were expecting for the lot and they said that someone had offered them $40 but backed out, so I decided to offer them $30 and they took it. So I drove up to the house and was expecting to be handed one or two small boxes of misc 8-bit stuff (an 800 and maybe a few power supplies), but when the guy said to come down to his basement and help him haul up the boxes I knew I was in for something big. Here's what I walked away with:

2 Atari 800's with several games (including Telelink II)

4 Atari 810 drives, one with a disk copier mode (Happy possibly)

1 Atari 1050 drive

1 Atari 850

1 Atari 1027 printer (in box)

1 Atari 410 with several tapes

1 Atari 1010 with tons of tapes

1 Atari 835 modem

1 Atari 1200XL in Styrofoam (no box though)

1 Atari 65XE

3 Unidentified boards (look like memory expansions for the 800)

1 Atari 800 circuit board

A huge box of controller and power supplies

The box for the Entertainer kit

Tons and tons of copied games on disk (at least 8 disk holders full), but also a few originals:

Atari Disks (originals)

------------------------

MULE (boxed)

Seven Cities of Gold (boxed)

Starcross (with manual)

Lode Runner

Realm of Impossibility

David's Midnight Magic

Cosmic Balance

Cosmic Balance II

Combat Leader

Battle of Shiloh

Shamus

Shamus Case II

Galaxy (Avalon Hill)

Karateka (with manual)

Zork I

Archon II: Adept

Conan

Atari cartridges

----------------

Assembler Editor

Basic x3

Microsoft Basic II

Pac-Man

Computer Chess (with instructions(

Star Raiders

Soccer (Thorn EMI)

Telelink II

1 Atari 520ST

1 4 switch 2600 with 35+ games (some 7800, nothing too rare)

Not a bad haul for $30. :) All of this stuff is for trade/sale, I just need to sort through it.

Tempest

I hit the charity run stores and recycling places fairly regularly.

My 130XE, 2nd 1050 and an Amiga 500 are all I have to show for ~ 7 years worth of that (so far as good retro gear goes), albeit they cost me all of $5 each.

Nice find. I hit 4 stores today, nothing. But picked up a desk for $15 which I'm going to trim down a bit and use to extend the space for my setup... hopefully will then have anough room for 2 PCs + LCD monitors, Atari setup + 1084s monitor.

Edited by Rybags

I was searching Craigs List this morning when I came across an ad for Atari 8-bit stuff. The ad said that this person had collected a lot of 8-bit stuff from their friends over the years but wanted to get rid of it (or rather the wife did). They had a few pictures of some misc 8-bit stuff in boxes but they really didn't show much, nor did the ad mention a price. I decided to ask how much they were expecting for the lot and they said that someone had offered them $40 but backed out, so I decided to offer them $30 and they took it. So I drove up to the house and was expecting to be handed one or two small boxes of misc 8-bit stuff (an 800 and maybe a few power supplies), but when the guy said to come down to his basement and help him haul up the boxes I knew I was in for something big. Here's what I walked away with:

2 Atari 800's with several games (including Telelink II)

4 Atari 810 drives, one with a disk copier mode (Happy possibly)

1 Atari 1050 drive

1 Atari 850

1 Atari 1027 printer (in box)

1 Atari 410 with several tapes

1 Atari 1010 with tons of tapes

1 Atari 835 modem

1 Atari 1200XL in Styrofoam (no box though)

1 Atari 65XE

3 Unidentified boards (look like memory expansions for the 800)

1 Atari 800 circuit board

A huge box of controller and power supplies

The box for the Entertainer kit

Tons and tons of copied games on disk (at least 8 disk holders full), but also a few originals:

Atari Disks (originals)

------------------------

MULE (boxed)

Seven Cities of Gold (boxed)

Starcross (with manual)

Lode Runner

Realm of Impossibility

David's Midnight Magic

Cosmic Balance

Cosmic Balance II

Combat Leader

Battle of Shiloh

Shamus

Shamus Case II

Galaxy (Avalon Hill)

Karateka (with manual)

Zork I

Archon II: Adept

Conan

Atari cartridges

----------------

Assembler Editor

Basic x3

Microsoft Basic II

Pac-Man

Computer Chess (with instructions(

Star Raiders

Soccer (Thorn EMI)

Telelink II

1 Atari 520ST

1 4 switch 2600 with 35+ games (some 7800, nothing too rare)

Not a bad haul for $30. :) All of this stuff is for trade/sale, I just need to sort through it.

Tempest

Interested in 810 and Telelink II

M.U.L.E is a great find on it's own, congratulations :woozy:

The guy said that the disk didn't work and that's why he put the whole setup away, but I haven't had a chance to verify that yet. If the disk is dead, is there a way to copy a working disk image back onto the original media?

If anyone is interested in any of this stuff, just shoot me a PM.

Tempest

A pretty long shot probably but would you know what's on the pirated disks?

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Not yet, I'll go through them over the next few weeks though. From a glance they looked like fairly common games but there are a few that didn't ring a bell. Like I said, there are literally hundreds of disks to look through. :)

Tempest

M.U.L.E is a great find on it's own, congratulations :woozy:

The guy said that the disk didn't work and that's why he put the whole setup away, but I haven't had a chance to verify that yet. If the disk is dead, is there a way to copy a working disk image back onto the original media?

Tempest

If you have got an SIO2PC interface then you can copy the images to the original discs, providing the discs are ok.Failing that you could copy onto another disc and then cut and shut

Edited by mimo

Damn! None of the disk drives seem to work! They all give boot errors. I'm guessing that the heads need to either be cleaned and/or realigned. Is this something that's easy to do or are these likely to be scrap?

EDIT: ok it's quite as bad as I thought. Only 2 of the 4 810's are giving me errors now (one of them must have killed the disk I was using for testing). The 1050 also isn't working though. I wonder if the head is out of alignment or if they're just dirty? I wish i still had a 5.25" disk cleaner...

Tempest

I wish i still had a 5.25" disk cleaner...

Just open the drive and use a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol to clean the head. Most disk cleaners make more mess than actually cleaning the drive...

so long,

Hias

I'll try that. I was able to get three out of the four working, but the fourth one just won't work. Maybe this will help.

EDIT: Nope, they're still broken. But on a happier note, I got the MULE disk working. A boxed MULE! Sweet!

Tempest

I sold my M.U.L.E. two years ago for $100 :)

Stupid thought, the drives are all set up for D1 right? (if you are testing them separately)... Also if the 1050 is dead I might be interested as I have a couple spare tandon mechs

Yes, they were all set for 1.

If you want the 1050 shoot me a PM.

Tempest