IGNORED

Wii : At a Second Glance

jeremysart

And I forgot one of the best things about XBOX live... downloading game demos. Nothing like trying before you buy.

you know thats wat play n trade is for, instead of playing those stupid, not-very-informational demos, try the real thing. i hate it when some makers make an awesome demo and then the game turns out to be crap.

I've actually found most of the demos to be pretty much a good indicator of what the entire game is like. I'd much rather DL a demo from my couch than drive to the local game rental store any day.

Exactly, and it doesn't cost anything, where renting would. Besides, most demo's I've ever played are just a stage ripped from the actual game, and may let you test a few extra weapons that you may not have yet in the real game. I don't see how it's really that off.

How does this thread belong in this forum? :P

Because if you didn't see the console you'd think you were playing a Gamecube?

Yea, I went there. :P

I kid, I kid. I guess I'm one of those Nintendo fans that always loved how ahead of the times each of their systems were for the time. My NES was the coolest thing at that time, same with the SNES. I still remember drooling over SW Rogue Squadron screens when the GC was about to come out. Heck, I haven't really seen any game that looks better than that on the Wii yet, which is very sad.

Not that the Wii is a horrid system or anything.. not my cup of tea anymore, but it does feel extremely dated. I'll be curious when PS3 and 360's motion controllers come out.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

I bought a Wii thinking it would be my only console for this generation, but I'm pretty convinced this system isn't for me. During the year or two it was my only system, I remember either not finding the game I wanted at the store (usually a game that was a few months old), or having to pay 50 bucks when the new game came out that I wanted. I got a 360 after seeing and hearing about Fallout 3. I bought that at full price, but since I've gotten Dead Rising and Oblivion at 20 bucks each and have been pretty surprised at how many AAA titles there are at such a low price. Nothing comes close in my mind in terms of the value you can get in the 360 during this console generation.

I bought a launch Wii because I owned an original xbox, gamecube, psx, ..., and the 360 and ps3 seemed more of the same as the last gen, only faster with higher resolution. I was tired of all of the third person shooters on the other platforms, and the Wii promised a different direction. A lot of games have delivered on that promise.

I later bought a 360 after a price reduction, because I missed some of those classic gameplay games and wanted to play titles that wouldn't make it to the Wii. (Prince of Persia, Halo 3, Left 4 Dead, ...)

The 360 and Wii really are complimentary consoles in that way. One has classic gameplay with updated graphics and a popular online environment, the other has a lot of experimental titles with non-traditional game mechanics.

And the thing about the Wii "what the GameCube should have been in the first place" is a bit tired. First off the gamecube was smack in the middle of the last gen capabilitywise, with the ps2 being the weakest console. Being the weakest of the bunch didn't seem to hurt the ps2, so why should the gamecube have been more powerful?

With the Wii Nintendo took a chance and invented a new way to control games. In contrast, I could easily see Left 4 Dead and many of the other big 360 titles being on the last generation, albeit with cutdown graphics.

And I forgot one of the best things about XBOX live... downloading game demos. Nothing like trying before you buy.

you know thats wat play n trade is for, instead of playing those stupid, not-very-informational demos, try the real thing. i hate it when some makers make an awesome demo and then the game turns out to be crap.

I've actually found most of the demos to be pretty much a good indicator of what the entire game is like. I'd much rather DL a demo from my couch than drive to the local game rental store any day.

Exactly, and it doesn't cost anything, where renting would. Besides, most demo's I've ever played are just a stage ripped from the actual game, and may let you test a few extra weapons that you may not have yet in the real game. I don't see how it's really that off.

you dont rent a play n trade, you try before you buy. heck ive seen 10 year olds hang out there for hours playing games there... but i dont know if they're suposed to. usually games are only played by people who are buying a game.

Wow, a plae like that around here would go out of business hella quick. I can see it now, as their shelves empty of all stock as people....er..."try" their games, only to never bring them back :lol:

Actually, main games did something like that, you rented a console for a set ammount of time, and played whatever they had on it. To bad the next gen killed it (as it would have simply been to expensive to upgrade the place)

Wow, a plae like that around here would go out of business hella quick. I can see it now, as their shelves empty of all stock as people....er..."try" their games, only to never bring them back icon_lol.gif

Actually, main games did something like that, you rented a console for a set ammount of time, and played whatever they had on it. To bad the next gen killed it (as it would have simply been to expensive to upgrade the place)

they play the games there with their game systems. you cant leave with them, unless you buy them.

For the people saying that the Wii is just an updated Gamecube; you are correct. I read on gamasutra that the Wii controller was originally developed as an add-on for the Gamecube.

Anyway, all that any game console's perceived quality comes down to is its games. The Wii doesn't have the best graphics, but its sales have proven that a console doesn't need the best graphics in order to sell. The console has lots of potential, but publishers are unwilling to take risks on the system. The problem is that publishers are in a hardcore gamer mindset and since original hardcore games aren't selling well on the system (Madworld and The Conduit have sold very poorly), they don't think ANY high quality, original games will sell well on the system. But if publishers could just make games that are a little more casual like Lego Star Wars/Indiana Jones, Boom Blox, etc and actually make them GOOD, they would sell well. So as I mentioned above, I think the system has a lot of potential (and a huge user base), but so far that potential has mostly only been reached by Nintendo and its first-party games.

-Adam

Madworld and The Conduit have sold very poorly

While The Conduit hasn't been a blockbuster by any means (240K sales after 11 weeks), it hasn't done that bad; it's outsold pretty much every other Wii game released around the same time. It's outsold Little King's Story, Overlord: Dark Legend, Dawn of Discovery, Let's Tap, MySims Racing, Boom Blox Bash Party, Klonoa, Guitar Hero: Smash Hits, Cursed Mountain, Spectrobes: Origins, Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Excitebots, Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, and Virtua Tennis 2009.

It's been mostly outsold on the Wii by a few big-name licensed games (Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince) and a few (but not all!) 1st party games (Punch-Out!!, Metroid Prime: Trilogy).

I think expectations have to be lowered a bit considering the state of the economy in late spring.

I use my Wii for three things:

1. Emulation (love the homebrew channel)

2. Playing GC games

3. Playing Wii games that could easily have been done on the GC

Other than a small handful of games like Wii Sports and Metroid, I've absolutely hated the Wii motion controls. All the games I've liked so far either use the Wii mote as a regular controller or use the motion capabilities VERY sparingly (and usually for cheesy tacked on and otherwise useless features). The Wii might just as well be GC+ in my book. Not that that's a bad thing really.

Tempest

Madworld and The Conduit have sold very poorly

While The Conduit hasn't been a blockbuster by any means (240K sales after 11 weeks), it hasn't done that bad; it's outsold pretty much every other Wii game released around the same time. It's outsold Little King's Story, Overlord: Dark Legend, Dawn of Discovery, Let's Tap, MySims Racing, Boom Blox Bash Party, Klonoa, Guitar Hero: Smash Hits, Cursed Mountain, Spectrobes: Origins, Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Excitebots, Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, and Virtua Tennis 2009.

It's been mostly outsold on the Wii by a few big-name licensed games (Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince) and a few (but not all!) 1st party games (Punch-Out!!, Metroid Prime: Trilogy).

I think expectations have to be lowered a bit considering the state of the economy in late spring.

Well 240k isn't "very poorly" I suppose with all things considered; but I would wager a guess that the publisher hasn't broken even on it yet due to the high marketing and development costs.

-Adam

Wii is by far my favorite of the generation of consoles, great simple gameplay,lots of fun,innovative controller. That's why it is the number 1 console! :D

I'm surprised. Given previous posts, I would have mistaken you for a Sony fanyboy. :P ;)

I do enjoy the Wii on occasion, but mine mostly gathers dust. It's not that it's a bad system, but when it comes down to choosing what to play I usually go with the 360. Same goes for buying new games too, I always end up choosing a new game for 360 over getting anything for Wii. Though, I will pick up the occasional must have title later on when the prices go down. I do keep the system hooked up for the occasional game here and there. It's also good for parties too. Easy to pick up and play group games go over well when you have company. Then again, that is one of the main focal points of Wii, people playing together, and it does that extremely well.

Yeah, I like the Wii but I like most only for certain types of games, the beer and chips variety. I am getting into sony though my library for it is much smaller,mainly I don't dig RPG's or dual analog FPS. single is ok.

I find Wii interesting as it reaches a much broader range of the family young to old which makes it more fun!

Edited by atarian63

The Wiimote does a lot more than just the motion sensing that Xavix has. The Wiimote has a digital camera sensor embedded in it to "see" the IR sensorbar too.

But if you think the overall sports simulation is the key, I think Nintendo and Xavix both copied the company that came out with "LasaBirdie - Get In The Hole"

Edited by RevEng

Well 240k isn't "very poorly" I suppose with all things considered; but I would wager a guess that the publisher hasn't broken even on it yet due to the high marketing and development costs.

I'm guessing it will have broken 500K by the end of the year and will be at about 750K by next summer, and will eventually sell a million copies, or close to it. I'd guess that Sega does alright by The Conduit in the end.

I'm guessing it will have broken 500K by the end of the year and will be at about 750K by next summer, and will eventually sell a million copies, or close to it. I'd guess that Sega does alright by The Conduit in the end.

Yeah, you never know with the Wii or DS because games seem to sell slower on those systems, but have a longer sales tail. Grand Theft Auto on the DS sold less than 100k copies in its first week but now isn't doing so bad iirc. At this point everything depends on the word of mouth advertising. Also, Dead Space Extraction came out so that might hurt The Conduit's sales as well.

-Adam