IGNORED

My opinion as a coleco owner and homebrewer

newcoleco

The C-64 iPhone app is available and blessed by Apple. Myself and many others own it. Beyond the usual issues with trying to use a touch screen to play joystick-based games, it's a remarkably well done app overall. It uses licensed C-64 games, though there's one unusual case in Bruce Lee for the C-64 that they use the box shot of the original Datasoft version, but don't refer to "Bruce Lee" much (keeping to "B. Lee"), no doubt to side step sub-licensing issues with the estate of Bruce Lee.

While the Coleco library is full of licensed - mostly arcade - titles, there is some possibility that by simply calling the games something else, that issue can be side-stepped (as other companies have done, like INTV, when removing the major league licenses from their sports games on the Intellivision). After all, it's what Telegames did with games like "Chuck Norris Superkicks", among others, when they acquired the rights and re-released the games.

Edited by Bill_Loguidice

If you want an MSX machine in the US you pretty much have to import a Japanese one.

The only MSX machine officially released in the US was the MSX 1-based CX series from Yamaha. It's somewhat available on the open market. I agree, though, that one is generally better off with a Japanese MSX 2 or MSX 2+ system.

Edited by Bill_Loguidice