IGNORED

Atari and LCD tv

Martin72

I have a new LCD tv and i like to use it with my Atari system and use the scart input. But i have no display. I tried it with an Atari 600XL and an Atari 65XE (PAL). The same problem occurs with my Super Nintendo, but my old Xbox works well with this lcd tv. I know the computers are good working because with my old crt screen it works properly. I've heard that some old systems outputs a signal that is not in 100% sync regarding what the TV expects from a composite video signal. Older TV's and monitors were not so picky, but a new LCD may not sync properly on a such signal. Does anyone know a solution for this problem so i can use my great Atari with a modern lcd tv.

Yep, a lot of your modern TVs and recorders that use digital processing of the analog signal have trouble.

Problems like:

- screen just rolls.

- signal "assumed" to be interlaced, which can cause combing effects.

- no picture at all.

My HDD recorder rolls with the A8 and can make no sense at all of the ST (it does 313 scanlines instead of 312).

There's not a great deal you can do other than try another LCD TV.

I plan to sometime soon try an "LCD fixer" type modification of the Real Interlaced software driven mode, but the problem is that such a fix can't really be incorporated into much software out there. In the real world, it would be a bandaid solution and a pain to use. And that's assuming it even works at all once I get around to developing it.

After reading (in this thread and in others) about all the people who've had trouble using their Ataris with their LCD TVs, I consider myself extremely fortunate that I picked a HD LCD TV that works so well. But after reading Rybags' post, I guess mine "suffers" from combing artifacts-- which I actually like, because it removes 30 Hz flickering.

Michael

After reading (in this thread and in others) about all the people who've had trouble using their Ataris with their LCD TVs, I consider myself extremely fortunate that I picked a HD LCD TV that works so well. But after reading Rybags' post, I guess mine "suffers" from combing artifacts-- which I actually like, because it removes 30 Hz flickering.

What did you buy? I think we could do with a sticky or something about LCD TV's which are proven "A8 safe" buys.

What did you buy? I think we could do with a sticky or something about LCD TV's which are proven "A8 safe" buys.

I have a Samsung, model LN-T4066F.

Michael