IGNORED

Wii price drops to $200

Bilnick

One thing probably needs to be addressed. I think the Wii is now being programmed heavily by most of the gaming companies. I remember when the Wii first came out that it had the 2nd and 3rd string programmers program for it, but when now since the Wii has dwarfed the competitions, the roles are now reversed. Now the 2nd and 3rd rate programmers are programming for the PS3. :D

Edit: Just read the whole thread. When will PS3 gamers give it up already. It's been 3 years already, and the Wii has trounced the competition. This go around Sony lost. This makes the next go around very interesting. I expect to see an all out battle with all 3 companies. This go around Nintendo was the underdog, and the Sony was the big dog on the block. Next go around Nintendo will have a clear advantage. Should be interesting what their next system looks like.

Edited by homerwannabee

We're not discussing what consoles are in what percentage of peoples living rooms. Recent sales of Ghostbusters and Madden 10 should convince even a simpleton that having 20 million+ more consoles in consumers living rooms doesn't mean jack. We've all heard that what makes a video game system is video game sales.

My point was the 3 consoles have been selling pretty at a steady tie with the Wii actually trailing. Know this, a price cut to any system now will have no bearing on past purchases of that system. Which is what your lame crispygamer link (WTF is crispygamer!!?)was showing. Those units were bought before, and while it's certainly interesting, this is now. The Wii price cut will be happening soon.

Now that your aunt Shermerty's Wii she bought to lose weight and bowl in her living room with is abandoned and collecting dust. She's no doubt passed on the info to the few friends of hers that weren't suckered into thinking they needed a video game system. Will a Wii price cut cause it to surge in the sales or is it a desperate attempt to try and make sure the company doesn't start losing unit sales? The vibe I've been getting is folks we're way more excited about a PS3 price cut than a Wii price cut. Time will tell my friend.

interesting that nintendo only drops it price after sony did.

Are you sure this isn't speculation?

Microsoft officially announced their price cut

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/27/xbox-360-price-drops-go-global-on-friday-its-official/

Notice the date? Aug 27th 2009 this was mere days before the PS3 Slim became available (Sept 3)at a cut price. What exactly makes you think Nintendo was dropping the price in response to Sony but not MS? Have some inside information you'd be willing to share?

That said, I think the price cut helps the PS3 way more and I think it will be the big winner this holiday. I mean even I balked at the P33s price after being all gung ho for a shiny new Playstation system.

$700+ to play A video game? (The cost of the system and a game +tax at launch)

Come on. I don't give a crap how crisp and clean the movies are my video game system plays. LOL

only a simpleton would try to change the subject.. We are talking installed base, you know.. actual machines. The main thing companies use to determine what machine has the most sales potential. Obviously with over 50% market share that would be the Wii.

That's alot of whiney Wii jealousy you are carrying around,same type you have shown for ps3. Sorry you lost this round Wii has won this gen console wars. By the way why does it bug you that older people buy Wii's? My 75 year old father has nearly 20 games. :D

Edited by atarian63

only a simpleton would try to change the subject.. We are talking installed base

Re-read the thread topic title. It has absolutely nothing to do with install base. A price drop that hasn't happened yet has nothing to do with install base or can you explain otherwise? I realize you will use any excuse to further your unfounded crusade against MS... (and me), but dude...seriously, you're almost 50. Grow up. Buy some recent gaming systems, play some games on them, and then post your opinion and maybe (just maybe) someone will care?? Personally I won't ever care what you post. You've proved yourself to me.

When will PS3 gamers give it up already. It's been 3 years already, and the Wii has trounced the competition. This go around Sony lost. This makes the next go around very interesting

I think you might be surprised this holiday season. Sony's main downfall was their crazy price for a video game console. That price isn't so crazy now, and I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is the only video game console maker this year that experiences shortages. Wanna bet?

Edited by moycon

I dunno. Most X360 shooters seem to be just plain multiplayer kill-o-zap Doom/Quake style stuff. Is there anything more mature for solo players, something that can compete with Metroid Prime?

The Orange Box definitely, or maybe something like BioShock.

Bioshock, sure, but for The Orange Box, wasn't the main "mature for solo players" content basically just Half-Life 2, which has been previously released on like a million platforms?

I thought Bioshock had the greatest potential here to please my needs, so thanks for confirming. I also thought I might like the Uncharted games, but they're on PS3 again ;)

I thought Bioshock had the greatest potential here to please my needs, so thanks for confirming. I also thought I might like the Uncharted games, but they're on PS3 again ;)

Uncharted = Bioshock (in terms of greatness)

Cybergoth, both companies just reduced their price for the naysayers ( AKA : those gamers who said they could survive on last year technology repackaged with funky new controls)...just buy them both!! You keep trying to convince yourself (based on other peoples opinion) why you should choose one over the other. You personally have NO CLUE. Just buy both and form your own opinion for once. Then when the dust settles down, you can decide for yourself which is the most fun.

If that wasn't what you asked for, then I didn't understand your question.

So based on your response the Wii price cut will mean nothing. I agree with that. The Wii has 50% of the market share now and with the price cut, it won't change right? Hmmm That's debatable, but time will tell.

Edited by moycon

With RPG's you're being a bit unfair. Fire Emblem is the only series of that type on consoles anymore. It's like comparing the top 10 JRPG's on the PSX to the top 10 on the N64. I'm not looking at a list, but did even the Gamecube have 10 worthy JRPG's to play? Shining Force is now different and Arc The Lad did have two games last gen, but other than that it's just Fire Emblem. It's pretty sad really. My older son and I both love those types of games. :sad:

I know I'm unfair here, but the point I'm making is that the HD consoles don't really suit my taste in RPGs either, so "RPGs" is not that big of an argument for me, when people actually "just" mean Fallout and Oblivion. They're okay for what they are, but not the kind of RPGs I'm looking for. PSP and DS will blow all stationary competition out of the water here without blinking...

As far as the same games on the PS3/X360 being on the PC. I really don't blame most people for buying consoles to play them. Many modern pc games have been "dumbed down" so they can be made without many changes for consoles. It's hard to play many newer pc games without a X360 controller. The pc versions of The Last Remnant and Devil May Cry 4 (just to name two) were both really designed for the X360 controller in mind. So, very few of these games are better than the console versions. It's much easier for most people just to buy one of the HD consoles and play those games on that.

The thing is, I'm getting the PC "for free" somewhere down the road. Once the machine I'm typing this right now dies, I'll automatically get a new one and can instantly play 90% of the 360 library then.

So based on your response the Wii price cut will mean nothing. I agree with that.

It means that it will help the Wii to continue selling as many units as PS360 combined each month. The PS3 will eat away from the 360 sales though, so it's the 360 cut that means nothing. (People where only getting 360's as long as they couldn't afford the PS3.)

Basically what everyone else in the thread says :D

It means that it will help the Wii to continue selling as many units as PS360 combined each month.

Ummm You lost me. Wii is in last place as far as unit sales go and has been for awhile. So you are saying it won't continue to be in last place, but rather due to the price cuts it will move back into first place?

Could happen.

But if it did, that wouldn't be a continuation, that would be a new thing altogether. Right? It wouldn't "continue selling as many units as PS360 combined each month" It would start..."selling as many units as PS360 combined each month" again right?

Even at $50 it's hefty price of $250, I don't see it. Sorry.

I know I'm unfair here, but the point I'm making is that the HD consoles don't really suit my taste in RPGs either

My favorite genre since the Atari 2600 has been RPG's.

It is easily confirmed by a search with my AA user-name as the target on these very forums, using the keyword "RPG" that what I say is true. (Try it, you'll see for your very self)

I can tell you now, this statement you just made (see above) is unfounded.

Prove me wrong Cybergoth. :lol:

and once you've crossed over to the "darkside", add me to your friends list.

My gamertag is easy...moyon.

It seems these recent PS3/360 price cuts have sparked even your interest (or am I way off base?) I'll tell you what, if you buy either a PS3 or a 360 in the next 2 weeks I'll buy your first game (No super special rare collectors editions, keep to the standard $59.99 or less) for you. Just let me know. It would be worth it to to see your educated comments towards the newer systems.

Edited by moycon

I would say the Wii is a safe bet to be the top seller again this fall/holiday. The Wii has been difficult to find both of the last two Christmas shopping seasons. All of the Grandparents, Parents, Aunts and Uncles, etc. that couldn't find one last Xmas will be looking for one this Xmas. Grandma doesn't buy a Wii for Johnny in June, she buys it for him for Christmas. When kids see a Wii in the Target store in August, Mom tells them to wait for Christmas.

At least in my area, the Wii is easily the most popular system with familes that have younger children (12 and under) If I am at my son's Little League game or daughter's soccer game and I hear kids or parents talking about video games it is almost always about Wii or DS games. When my kids friends come over to our house to play they are very surprised to see that we have a 360 and a PS3. (PS3 or 360 is almost what they always play since the friends don't have one to play at home) The Wii seems to be the system of choice for parents and kids.

Ummm You lost me. Wii is in last place as far as unit sales go and has been for awhile. So you are saying it won't continue to be in last place, but rather due to the price cuts it will move back into first place?

Uh well... I wasn't looking at the last three weeks, but the last three years. Of course a clever rebranding like the PS3 Slim shows some noticeable effect in its first weeks on the market. Look again at the graphic Bob posted, that picture won't change much, in case you're hoping for that. The Wii isn't just a bubble that's going to burst, it won't go away, I don't think so.

It seems these recent PS3/360 price cuts have sparked even your interest (or am I way off base?) I'll tell you what, if you buy either a PS3 or a 360 in the next 2 weeks I'll buy your first game (No super special rare collectors editions, keep to the standard $59.99 or less) for you. Just let me know. It would be worth it to to see your educated comments towards the newer systems.

It certainly did spark my interest, I have a much longer breath here though :)

The thing is, I buy and play 15-20 "modern" games a year. That's about what I can afford, at 30 Euro a piece, with the occasional 50 Euro birthday or Chrstmas present.

Now, since owning a Wii, I never managed to catch up buying even all the Wii games I wanted. Assuming I'd have bought an additional HD console, I'd just have ended up with another console I couldn't afford playing all the games I wanted to.

The situation I see right now though, is that the stream of Wii games, at least the kind of I'm interested in, will slowly dry up next year. 2009 will end on a good note for Wii owners, 2010 will still start with a couple of highlights, but then I don't see much on the horizon, IMO from the 2nd quarter onwards it looks even worse than 2008.

I will need some time to catch up completing my Wii collection and fill some gaps, so I currently target a PS3 purchase for christmas 2010. This'll also boost my early PS3 games hunting, since there should easily be 20-30 interesting games available for 15-25 Euro then.

It means that it will help the Wii to continue selling as many units as PS360 combined each month.

Could happen.

But if it did, that wouldn't be a continuation, that would be a new thing altogether. Right? It wouldn't "continue selling as many units as PS360 combined each month" It would start..."selling as many units as PS360 combined each month" again right?

Even at $50 it's hefty price of $250, I don't see it. Sorry.

I know I'm unfair here, but the point I'm making is that the HD consoles don't really suit my taste in RPGs either

My favorite genre since the Atari 2600 has been RPG's.

It is easily confirmed by a search with my AA user-name as the target on these very forums, using the keyword "RPG" that what I say is true. (Try it, you'll see for your very self)

I can tell you now, this statement you just made (see above) is unfounded.

Prove me wrong Cybergoth. :lol:

and once you've crossed over to the "darkside", add me to your friends list.

My gamertag is easy...moyon.

not surprising I lost you.. Wii has been number 1 in installed base for a long long time, over 50% of the total 3rd gen installed base. Even your ms colored glasses cant possibly miss that fact..

AKA : those gamers who said they could survive on last year technology repackaged with funky new controls

Not trying to hijack the subject but.....

There are a lot of games I really like on the Wii. But what I don't like is the "funky new controls".... I don't want to wave my arms all around or shake the controller like a madman. I much, much prefer twin analog sticks and buttons.

But in watching what Nintendo, MS, and Sony are doing, I fear the days of twin analog sticks are over and gaming is soon going to be dominated by the wave, shake, and swing method of control.

I've watched the Project Natale video's and I am **NOT** excited by this method of game playing. I don't want to kick and swing my arms to beat Godzilla. I don't want to pretend I'm changing a tire with an impact wrench. I don't want to jump in the air on my pretend skateboard. And on and on.

I've watched some Sony Motion Control video's and read articles about it and again I'm **NOT** excited by the thought of having to swing my warms, shake like a madman, or jump - kick- twitch during my game play.

Others may like these "funky new controls" and that's cool. They work well with some types of games, such as bowling or WiiFit or Tennis.

But speaking only for myself, when I have the urge to play Halo or Resistance, to play Ratchet & Clank or Resident Evil, to play Call of Duty or Uncharted, I just want to sit in my comfortable chair and GAME.

As I said, I didn't mean to hijack the thread but when I read your above statement, I had to jump on my soapbox and rant. Damn you Nintendo!!!!

Mendon

AKA : those gamers who said they could survive on last year technology repackaged with funky new controls

There are a lot of games I really like on the Wii. But what I don't like is the "funky new controls".... I don't want to wave my arms all around or shake the controller like a madman. I much, much prefer twin analog sticks and buttons.

But in watching what Nintendo, MS, and Sony are doing, I fear the days of twin analog sticks are over and gaming is soon going to be dominated by the wave, shake, and swing method of control.

I've watched the Project Natale video's and I am **NOT** excited by this method of game playing. I don't want to kick and swing my arms to beat Godzilla. I don't want to pretend I'm changing a tire with an impact wrench. I don't want to jump in the air on my pretend skateboard. And on and on.

I've watched some Sony Motion Control video's and read articles about it and again I'm **NOT** excited by the thought of having to swing my warms, shake like a madman, or jump - kick- twitch during my game play.

Others may like these "funky new controls" and that's cool. They work well with some types of games, such as bowling or WiiFit or Tennis.

But speaking only for myself, when I have the urge to play Halo or Resistance, to play Ratchet & Clank or Resident Evil, to play Call of Duty or Uncharted, I just want to sit in my comfortable chair and GAME.

As I said, I didn't mean to hijack the thread but when I read your above statement, I had to jump on my soapbox and rant. Damn you Nintendo!!!!

Mendon

I dunno.. try these controls..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doAnB5_eDnw

Mendon

I don't think that's something you'll have to worry about. I can't see the core of "regular gamers" out there in 360/PS3 land jumping on the waggle control bandwagon. Project Natale looks like crap, and Sony's motion control looks better, but it's just isn't impressive as a whole. I can't see either of them catching on. They're both just attempts at saying, "Hey we can do waggle controls too!" Games that are that motion control intensive are better left to the Wii or arcade machines. MS and Sony can try to put out motion control systems/games, but I they'll be sorry when the end up seeing sales of those items tank.

I don't think that's something you'll have to worry about. I can't see the core of "regular gamers" out there in 360/PS3 land jumping on the waggle control bandwagon. Project Natale looks like crap, and Sony's motion control looks better, but it's just isn't impressive as a whole. I can't see either of them catching on. They're both just attempts at saying, "Hey we can do waggle controls too!" Games that are that motion control intensive are better left to the Wii or arcade machines. MS and Sony can try to put out motion control systems/games, but I they'll be sorry when the end up seeing sales of those items tank.

I hope your right.

But after seeing that Sony and MS are working hard and investing big $$$ in motion control, and then Sony releases a redesigned PSP still with only one analog stick, I have to wonder if gaming isn't getting away from the current controller styles and going with wiggle and wave. If this is so, I'll buy no future consoles but instead invest in a top of the line PC and go back to a keyboard and mouse.

Mendon

There you go moycon: http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=8722

On Sun., sales for the Wii hardware ranked No. 1 at Amazon.com with a 1,700 percent increase in sales.

;)

Your ruining Moycon's illusion that the Wii is just a gimmick system that will eventually be in third place when all is said and done. ;)

Yeah if it's dual analog :thumbsdown: well I wont be buying it..

I notice yo

http://www.crispygam...-landscape.aspx

WTF? Why not? What's the difference between using the wiimote to look around and shoot and the nunchuck to move? Same principal, just different control scheme.

I don't understand this - it's the same general idea, sure, but Wiimote+nunchuk is qualitatively different from dual analogs.

Maybe that was a bad example. The original poster has already answered my question though. It's just personal preference...he doesn't like dual joystick games.

I suppose a better (and a bit more simple) analogy would be comparing not liking dual joystick games to not liking dual fire button games.

Mendon

Meh, it's just a control scheme. There's more than enough room for "shake and waggle" games and traditional control games. The Wii is actually a nice example of this. Most games don't incorporate a ton of motion control (many only use the pointer or perhaps a shake of the nunchuck to reload etc). The games that really use motion control tend to be the ones that it works naturally with (at least that's my experience). The games that have a tacked on feel aren't very fun IMHO.