IGNORED

Where do you get the Atari 800 OS A rom?...

ataridave

I've been looking for a place to download this rom, but cannot find one. But this again raises the question of legality-why aren't the author's of certain emulators allowed to provide you with certain roms??

I've seen it around-- you might be able to find a link somewhere in this forum-- but I've never seen a copy that actually *works*, at least not that I could tell. :(

Michael

It's here, among other places. And I take back what I said about it not working. I guess I've never tried it with the right combination of emulator settings before. I tried it again with 48K memory and no AtariBASIC, just the disk image that has the Level 9 Colossal Adventure game on it, and it *does* work! Every time I tried before, it just crashed the emulator, so I must have had some setting set a certain way that was incompatible with OS A.

Michael

• Like 1

I checked the values in addresses 65527 and 65528 on all of the OS ROMs, and I have an NTSC OS B and a PAL OS A. Is there an NTSC OS A anywhere? And from what I've read in the FAQ, the PAL OS B seems to be hard to find (if it's ever been dumped, that is). Also, some of the other revisions seem to be bad dumps.

Michael

I checked the values in addresses 65527 and 65528 on all of the OS ROMs, and I have an NTSC OS B and a PAL OS A. Is there an NTSC OS A anywhere? And from what I've read in the FAQ, the PAL OS B seems to be hard to find (if it's ever been dumped, that is). Also, some of the other revisions seem to be bad dumps.

Michael

It's been a while since I've messed with the Atari 8bit emus but I think that's right. OS-A is PAL and OS-B is NTSC. I don't think the other two exist (OS-A NTSC and OS-B PAL) other than protos.

Mitch

It's been a while since I've messed with the Atari 8bit emus but I think that's right. OS-A is PAL and OS-B is NTSC. I don't think the other two exist (OS-A NTSC and OS-B PAL) other than protos.

Mitch

There should definitely be an NTSC OS-A somewhere, because it certainly does/did exist in real life. Likewise with a PAL OS-B, or for that matter, NTSC and PAL versions of the other revisions.

As to whether the NTSC OS-A was ever dumped to a ROM file-- I would expect so, because the FAQs make it sound like a dump does/did exist out there, somewhere, sometime. On the other hand, the FAQs do indicate that the PAL OS-B seems to be "missing," presumably meaning no one has ever dumped it to a ROM file.

Michael

• 5 months later...

I've been looking for a place to download this rom, but cannot find one. But this again raises the question of legality-why aren't the author's of certain emulators allowed to provide you with certain roms??

Ok, I've installed Atari 800 emulator again, and am having trouble finding the OS B and XL/XE roms-could someone please tell me where to find these? I found one set, but the OS B rom was PAL. In any case, the emulator was telling me they weren't installed properly. Sorry about this.

NTSC OS-A is in the same bucket as Basic A and B, ie - why would you want to install a known buggy piece of software when fixed later versions are better.

Sure, there is probably a few titles that only worked on it, but they would have been fixed long ago.

NTSC OS-A is in the same bucket as Basic A and B, ie - why would you want to install a known buggy piece of software when fixed later versions are better.

Sure, there is probably a few titles that only worked on it, but they would have been fixed long ago.

What do you mean by "a known buggy piece of software"?? Are you referring to the emulator? If so, which one should I be using??

Gotcha, so where do I get the other 2 roms that I need??

You haven't read the thread, have you?

I did, and I got everything running. I apologize if I came off as jerk, all of you have been a big help! Question-I am using a joypad for a controller, but I can't (at least with Defender) figure out with this emulator what key to press for a bomb, or how to select a different difficulty level.

• 3 years later...

I am hoping that someone can help with this question. I downloaded the Atari800MacX and I can bring the Atari memo pad. I would like to be able to bring up Dos 2.5 but I can figure how to get it to load the ATR image that I have to load Dos. I would like to be able to play the Robot Demo but cant figure out what I am doing wrong to get dos to load. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

• 8 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 1:23 AM, Tigger said:

https://www.romspack.com/no-intro-rom-set/#google_vignette

that is the only site that I can get all the the roms to work and it's a big list. One rom set for all roms.

The above posts were looking for Atari 8-bit computer roms.  The link you posted, has all the Atari CONSOLE roms, not computer roms.    

Atari OS Roms.7z

For anyone stumbling across this old thread...  Here is EVERY Atari 8-Bit OS rom.  

400/800 Rev A & B both PAL and NTSC

1200XL Rev. 10 and 11

1400XL Rev 1 and 2

1450XLD Rev R3VX and R3VO

XEGS w/Missile Command

XL/XE Roms (12 sets including 65XEM, 65XE Arabic, 600XL, 800XL, 800XE, 65/130XE and more)

Omnimon and Ultimon

Enjoy!

Edited by scotty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

21 hours ago, scotty said:

Here is EVERY Atari 8-Bit OS rom.

Thanks for trying to help, but please be careful when making such bold statements. That archive is a mess - it is missing some prototype 1450XLD OS-es and quite a lot of custom replacement OS-es, and also contains misnamed files, bad dumps and duplicates.

Edited by Kr0tki
  • Like 1