IGNORED

have you ever hated a console?

Tr3vor

mdb30 beat me to it with the same answer :)

A few months ago I was looking through old game mags and found "PSX" used commonly both before and after the console release, which probably further explains why it stuck.

Also, in the 90s the whole "X" thing was still a big marketing gimmick, so "PSX" undoubtedly sounded better at the time than "PS."

Edited by akator

Some also use PSX to mean PS(X), IE 1, 2 or 3 collectively/interchangeably. This is not an accepted practice in game journalism.

GC is not the proper abbreviation, however. GCN is the accepted abbreviation - consult the video game journalism style guide, freely available online.

NTR for DS and

RVL for Wii, along with many others including DLP for the GCN, are not actually official abbreviations but instead "code" names used during development. They're fun, but not technically an acceptable abbreviation, at least in the US. They have some interesting meanings though.

It's strange to me when people let a company tell them how to do an abbreviation. I especially don't understand why free-thinking people kept using the "X" in PSX. Sony can call it that internally when they're working on it under a different name, but that's not the consumer's problem. PS/PS1 are more natural.

As for GCN, after searching around apparently that's some translation issue from Japanese. Another theory is that formal press types were worried about confusion with Neo Geo Color, but again, the "N" is superfluous anyway. The point of an abbreviation is to save space, especially on real paper. Whatever, I speak English and don't take cues from coordinated journalism, so I'll be wild and rebellious and call it a GC. I hope Nintendo doesn't mind.

:)

• Like 1

Can't say I'm a fan of the all-download model, but I've said it before and I will say it again.. The PSP Go will be a killer platform when it's cracked (if it hasn't been done already).

Maybe so but would it be really much better than any other cracked PSP? I'm not up on the whole "bluetooth" thing and don't have anything modern enough to utilize it so that's not a concern for me at the moment. Personally I do loathe the entire leaning towards DLC. I have never, nor will I ever, pay for anything as insubstantial as a "download". This just perpetuates the ever growing tend of "pay more, get less" in the world. You're just short-changing yourselves and filling the coffers of corporations to overflowing. If I can't hold/touch it, transport it at will and save it forever then I am NOT paying a single cent for it.

Can't say I'm a fan of the all-download model, but I've said it before and I will say it again.. The PSP Go will be a killer platform when it's cracked (if it hasn't been done already).

Maybe so but would it be really much better than any other cracked PSP? I'm not up on the whole "bluetooth" thing and don't have anything modern enough to utilize it so that's not a concern for me at the moment. Personally I do loathe the entire leaning towards DLC. I have never, nor will I ever, pay for anything as insubstantial as a "download". This just perpetuates the ever growing tend of "pay more, get less" in the world. You're just short-changing yourselves and filling the coffers of corporations to overflowing. If I can't hold/touch it, transport it at will and save it forever then I am NOT paying a single cent for it.

your sig fits your sentiment pretty well... heh.

I feel the same way, but I tend to think that folks who are in their early teens right now will have that tendency to a much lesser degree, having grown up without physical copies of their media. So eventually, most music/game/video media WILL go all-digital. I think it will also be priced on a widely varying scale, something like a 'what the market will bear' where you are paying 70$ for the new big title OR the legendary older game.

Anyone feel like predicting how many more physical media-based game consoles will exist? Two generations before all systems are DLC only? Five?

I hated Sony when they had that staged chip shortage trying to create hype for the system. Same with Nintendo with the bs ploy of not being able to roll enough units off the line to keep with demand. Can't say I blame them tough, both systems sold phenomenally well, probably *because* of the stunts.

I have and love both systems so there's really none I hate.

Is that really true? I'm not arguing, but I just don't see the logic of how that would work. You'd think having more systems sold would ... be the goal. So they'd just sell as many as they had. Besides, generations are so short now, you really can't wait that long to put something out.

I doubt there's any real proof. But if anyone thinks Nintendo doesn't have the resources to put enough consoles out to meet demand I have some fine rare Combat carts for sale. Cart only, $99.99 each plus $10.00 shipping.

And hype is one of the best ways to sell your product. Word of mouth, "must have" advertising. Goes a long way. It worked for the PS2, it worked for the Wii.

Anyone feel like predicting how many more physical media-based game consoles will exist? Two generations before all systems are DLC only? Five?

I'd say a minimum of 2, 5 sounds about right though. At the moment, the biggest problem with download as a "standard" if you could call it that, is that individuals out there won't have the means to get it. I have Broad band, so no problem, speed wise. But I know a ton of people around here who either don't, or leach off someone else :P Add to that, most services have a bandwidth limit, like you can only load 10GB a month or something (before paying extra) If you consider the average game fitting on a single density single layer DVD, then the average game would be 4.5 GB (thereabouts, not counting 9GB games and BD games, potentially over 100GB) Add to that, most services out there are what? about 4mps or so? A 4GB file would take you something like 15 minutes to download, and the horror of something like a 50+GB BD, OMG, fuck that. Even if I was into DD, I still wouldn't bother with that. Small games like 5-100MB games, yeah, that's one thing, big games, like the ones people would actually pay a decent price for, not happening anytime soon.

Anyhow, a DD only service will eventually be released (and likely fail the first time) but I do see it coming, but it's more on the lines of 10-20 years down the road, not just next year like everybody makes it out to be. Of course, by then, technology will be up enough, that you're new 1GB download speed still won't touch the average 1+TB game :P so...it's just an ongoing thing.

Is that really true? I'm not arguing, but I just don't see the logic of how that would work. You'd think having more systems sold would ... be the goal. So they'd just sell as many as they had. Besides, generations are so short now, you really can't wait that long to put something out.

I doubt there's any real proof. But if anyone thinks Nintendo doesn't have the resources to put enough consoles out to meet demand I have some fine rare Combat carts for sale. Cart only, $99.99 each plus $10.00 shipping.

And hype is one of the best ways to sell your product. Word of mouth, "must have" advertising. Goes a long way. It worked for the PS2, it worked for the Wii.

Nintendo for damn sure artificially limited the number of systems they were putting out. They are rolling in money and can't set up another production line? I call bullshit on that one.

Sony on the other hand, maybe a little, but they did have that earthquake back then that supposedly damaged their production capabilities. I still don't much buy it, as even most of Sony's crap probably comes from China or somewhere else anyways :P But at least some potential excuse existed for them.

• Like 1

I hated the SNES. It's the only system I've ever truly hated. I got it the Christmas of 1996.. the year the N64 came out. My dad had the last N64 in his hands, but ran into his boss who had a SNES in his hands. His boss said he really wanted an N64 for his kid, and my father.. the selfish jack-ass that he was, swapped it with him.

That was NOT a merry Christmas. I hated that system, and when I was able to afford one in 1998 (the DK bundle with a copy of my favorite N64 game.. F-ZeroX), I bought it and sold the SNES.

I know it's a good system and all that.. but it never had a chance with me. lol

SNES never did very much for me. I've tried to get into it twice, but it failed both times. The second time, I traded it for an Intellivision and I'm much better off for it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Hi guys, I really was never displeased with any console before. The way I figure it. If the console was distributed to the gaming public, then its worth buying! Anthony....

That's how i look at systems to. They always have something that makes it worth owning.

I wouldn't say I hate a system, but there's certain aspects of systems that I really don't like.

Wii - Motion controls... I hate them so. It's good when a game gives you an option, but when they don't it down right pisses me off. Take Marvel Ultimate Alliance, a Wii launch title. I couldn't get it to do what I want, but hey, this was also on the PS2, surely they weren't so lazy as to not put in normal controls. Oh, they were that lazy, damn.

Master System / Mega Drive / Saturn - Control pads. Why did it take sega up until the Dreamcast to make a control pad that I was happy with? Why do I have 8 SMS control pads and only 1 works 100%? Why do I have 11 Mega Drive control pads and only 3 work? And it surely can't be blamed on being treated poorly with previous owners, those things felt terrible brand knew. I say they were just made shoddy.

N64 - Controllers again. That damn control stick. But I don't hate it anywhere near as much as what I said about the Sega stuff because the sticks are an easy fix.