IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Week 7: Rocky & Bullwinkle

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Rocky and Bullwinkle must stop the evil Boris and Natasha from robbing a train full of priceless valuables. While Boris uses "Upsidasium" to float the valuables up to Natasha's waiting helicopter, Rocky must fly around and intercept them. When Rocky catches the valuables, he gives them to Bullwinkle for safe keeping.

Note: Pressing the Select switch in this game will alter the controls. Both control methods will be considered acceptable for this competition, so try them both to see which works best for you!

s_RockyAndBullwinkle_1.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Rocky & Bullwinkle
  • Released By: M Network, Unreleased Prototype
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • TV Type Switch: Color (This is important, as B/W plays very differently!)
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: theKLT

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday October 7th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 129,100 (darthkur) [+11]
  2. 104,900 (toymailman) [+10]
  3. 103,900 (keilbaca) [+9]
  4. 87,800 (Vectorman0) [+8]
    87,800 (vjames) [+8]
  5. 85,300 (Captain Beard) [+7]
  6. 83,000 (shadow460) [+6]
  7. 74,700 (Zoyx) [+5]
  8. 71,700 (LarcenTyler) [+4]
    71,700 (Atardi) [+4]
  9. 71,100 (Deteacher) [+3]
  10. 50,900 (SpiceWare) [+2]
  11. 45,400 (godzillajoe) [+1]
  12. 35,300 (roadrunner) [+1]
  13. 33,700 (aftermac) [+1]
  14. 3100 (Wickeycolumbus) [+1]

Best Tips
  • shadow460 [+2]

Challenges
  • None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 65,700 (Tom Duncan)
  2. 55,200 (Rudy J Ferretti)
  3. 25,700 (David B Yancey)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. Atardi [55]
  2. toymailman [49]
  3. Captain Beard [42]
  4. Deteacher [41]
  5. godzillajoe [40]
  6. shadow460 [31]
  7. Zoyx [28]
  8. darthkur [26]
  9. Vectorman0 [21]
  10. keilbaca [16]
  11. SpiceWare [14]
  12. vjames [13]
  13. devwebcl [13]
  14. Nathan Strum [11]
  15. homerwannabee [11]
  16. CebusCapucinis [10]
  17. kote [8]
  18. Hornpipe2 [7]
  19. aftermac [6]
  20. roadrunner [6]
  21. Mister VCS [6]
  22. 4Ks [4]
  23. LarcenTyler [4]
  24. chuckwalla [3]
  25. Wickeycolumbus [3]
  26. Shannon [2]
  27. jeremysart [2]
  28. vintagegamecrazy [2]
  29. sloth713 [2]
  30. jjd [2]
  31. LoneWolfSeth [2]
  32. ChrisKoopa [1]
  33. Impaler_26 [1]
  34. Nati [1]
  35. disjuakifa [1]

Scoring Points in Rocky & Bullwinkle
  • There are 10 different treasures that Rocky can intercept.
    They may have real names but I will call them how I think of them.

The following points are awarded when Rocky grabs the item by pressing the button. As noted before, two items can be grabbed before Rocky must drop them off with Bullwinkle. Six items can be collected if the big brown box (crate?) is caught.
    points = 6-bullets
    100 points = ring
    200 points = diamond
    300 points = double box
    400 points = solid box
    500 points = cross
    600 points = 5-bullets
    700 points = amoeba (squiggly thing that is closed)
    800 points = whip (squiggly thing that is an open loop)
    900 points = ring (opened on the bottom)

Rocky must collect the desired items in order to get any bonus points. Bonus points are not awarded when the final item is dropped off with Bullwinkle. They are awarded when Rocky collects another item (any item) afterwards. The bonus points seem to be variable and I have not found any consistent pattern.

(Big thanks to toymailman [+2] for figuring out the scoring!)

Hints and Tips

The Manual

Since this game was never released, no manuals exist. However, for a general explanation of gameplay, check out the AtariProtos.com page for this game.

toymailman

1) If the required items are not being launched then frantically concentrate on the higher point treasures on the screen.

2) Get the items in order as fast as you can. They don't have to be on the same trip. However, they do have to be in order and this is the only way to get the big bonus points. All the random treasure in the world won't come close to getting the bonuses.

shadow460

It's not totally random. Lots of times Boris will launch the items in order but you have to look for it. Like Pressure Cooker, if you miss them when they are launched in order you will have to wait a while for them to re launch.

Pressure Cooker will spit out items in the correct order every time but you have to figure out which burger it's giving you the items for. This game works similarly.

--Zero

I have to wonder...

Natasha: Boris, dahlink, we must sabotage video game market more!

Boris: Don't worry, dahlink, we just submit idea for game based on Moose & Squirrel and watch them lose profits for bad game!

Narrator: Fortunately, Rocky and Bullwinkle were able to warn quality control about this, and as a result, the game never made it to the market.

Bullwinkle: Hey, Rocky, that was gonna be a game based on our adventures!

Rocky: Yeah, Bullwinkle, but it would've ruined the market even more than it's already been ruined.

Bullwinkle: Well, I suppose you have a point there!

I have to wonder...

Natasha: Boris, dahlink, we must sabotage video game market more!

Boris: Don't worry, dahlink, we just submit idea for game based on Moose & Squirrel and watch them lose profits for bad game!

Narrator: Fortunately, Rocky and Bullwinkle were able to warn quality control about this, and as a result, the game never made it to the market.

Bullwinkle: Hey, Rocky, that was gonna be a game based on our adventures!

Rocky: Yeah, Bullwinkle, but it would've ruined the market even more than it's already been ruined.

Bullwinkle: Well, I suppose you have a point there!

Tune in next time for our next exciting tale, "Atari A Day Keeps The Doctor Away" or "This Land Is Our Landfill"

There has to be something else to that second timer. It's only 65 seconds and the first one is 75. Something has to keep them both going.

On the item order, you have to have the items in the order they're shown. You don't have to bring the items in one trip. It's kinda like Bullwinkle is looking for certain items but only gives you the list two at a time.

The idea is just to grab stuff and use the item list as kind of a bonus indicator. If you get the items Bullwinkle wants, the next item Rocky touches gives you a bonus. I think it's a multiplier actually, though, since the bonuses vary. I've got beteen 8,000 and 15,000.

83,000 for my score.

Oh, yeah, both the left and right sticks do the exact same thing. You can pick up either one and play the game.

Edited by shadow460

mmm, how big's the ROM file again?

It might just be time to run that emulator I have for my PSP...

nope, no emulator...it is 4K and should run in a modded Supercharger. It's on!!

Sounds good to me! I'll be running the game like this as well.

I think I figured out the scoring (at least as best is possible with random elements involved).

First, there are 10 different treasures that Rocky can intercept.

They may have real names but I will call them how I think of them.

The following points are awarded when Rocky grabs the item by pressing the button. As noted before, two items can be grabbed before Rocky must drop them off with Bullwinkle. Six items can be collected if the big brown box (crate?) is caught.

0 points = 6-bullets

100 points = ring

200 points = diamond

300 points = double box

400 points = solid box

500 points = cross

600 points = 5-bullets

700 points = amoeba (squiggly thing that is closed)

800 points = whip (squiggly thing that is an open loop)

900 points = ring (opened on the bottom)

Rocky must collect the desired items in order to get any bonus points. Bonus points are not awarded when the final item is dropped off with Bullwinkle. They are awarded when Rocky collects another item (any item) afterwards. The bonus points seem to be variable and I have not found any consistent pattern.

The score of the game is very random as you have to "hope" the required items are launched by Boris. You can still collect points without this, but the only way to get high scores is via bonus points. Then you must hope your bonus points are large too.

There is even the random element with the treasure items.

MY TIPS:

1) If the required items are not being launched then frantically concentrate on the higher point treasures on the screen.

2) Get the items in order as fast as you can. They don't have to be on the same trip. However, they do have to be in order and this is the only way to get the big bonus points. All the random treasure in the world won't come close to getting the bonuses.

I actually enjoy playing the game, but I wish the random parts could be removed. It would be a little like Pressure Cooker or Toyshop Trouble then. In each of those games the player must collect (or paint) certain items while racing against the clock.

With that said, my score so far is...

post-10944-12544581784_thumb.jpg

It's not totally random. Lots of times Boris will launch the items in order but you have to look for it. Like Pressure Cooker, if you miss them when they are launched in order you will have to wait a while for them to re launch.

Pressure Cooker will spit out items in the correct order every time but you have to figure out which burger it's giving you the items for. This game works similarly.