IGNORED

1200xl behaving badly

yorgle

My faithful 1200xl started acting up today. If I try to reboot when it's warmed up, it hangs up. Let it sit for a few minutes and it's fine. Half the time it will give me a rolling blue screen. The other half of the time, it gets to the ATARI colored waterfall logo, but the image is all messed up (random pixels splattered across the top of the screen like someone blew it up. In either case, it won't load from disk or cartridge. Bad ROMS? It has the RAMBO 256k mod, if that matters.

It only fails when you try to re-boot after it's warm? Once it's up OK, it runs fine?

It doesn't crash after it warms up? It never boots from a cart? Cold or hot?

Bob

My faithful 1200xl started acting up today. If I try to reboot when it's warmed up, it hangs up. Let it sit for a few minutes and it's fine. Half the time it will give me a rolling blue screen. The other half of the time, it gets to the ATARI colored waterfall logo, but the image is all messed up (random pixels splattered across the top of the screen like someone blew it up. In either case, it won't load from disk or cartridge. Bad ROMS? It has the RAMBO 256k mod, if that matters.

Even my 130XE does that at times... seems to need over 5 seconds powered off to guarantee a proper coldstart.

A preferred way to coldstart is to just type "BYE" then press RESET. Saves the wear & tear of constantly cycling power which isn't really good on any computer.

Not sure if that coldstarts a 1200XL though... I think it probably should.