IGNORED

Phoenix the fall and rise of video games 3rd edition

ddaniels

I'm not sure if you guys know this but this book is once again available from Rolenta Press. Check out http://www.rolentapress.com/

This is supposed to be one of the best history of video games books written. Rolenta Press was supposed to be releasing a 4th edition but that has been delayed so they are re-printing the 3rd edition. I recently ordered this and I paid close to $28 which isn't bad considering that when it comes up for sale on Ebay it can easily go for $50 and up.

I would suggest getting one while you can.

I'm selling a used copy on Amazon for cheaper then that right now! :D

And I agree -- the book is very good.

Also highly suggested is Stephen Kent's 'The Ultimate History of Video Games'. It has interviews, runs past 2001 where Phoenix stops there, and covers a few things Phoenix did not. Of course, Phoenix also touches on some things Kent's book does not, so they are both very worth getting!

Edited by SoulBlazer

I'm selling a used copy on Amazon for cheaper then that right now! :D

And I agree -- the book is very good.

Also highly suggested is Stephen Kent's 'The Ultimate History of Video Games'. It has interviews, runs past 2001 where Phoenix stops there, and covers a few things Phoenix did not. Of course, Phoenix also touches on some things Kent's book does not, so they are both very worth getting!

I just noticed after typing my topic that you are selling it on Amazon. Did you also notice the seller below you asking for $145.00? I purchased Phoenix the 2nd edition '97 on half.com roughly three years ago and I believe I paid close to $50 which I thought was a deal. If Rolenta Press wasn't re-printing the 3rd edition I would think you could ask for more than $24.75. Which edition are you selling?

it says "out of print" on the Rolenta site

Click on order form. As you fill out the form you will see where you can enter the quantity of the book(s) that you want to order. You will then be taken to Paypal's site.

I too was fooled at first in thinking it was out of print until I went to the order form.

Hope that helps.

Edited by ddaniels

• 4 weeks later...

I just received it and started reading. It's interesting, if a bit dry. Noticed a few factual errors such as specifying arcade Space Invaders has 48 aliens (8 by 6) ?!? I guess I can overlook these little things if I try hard. It does make some interesting connections between people in the industry that I wasn't aware of. Would also be nice if the font wasn't so small (for us over-forty crowd...)

• 1 year later...

I just received it and started reading. It's interesting, if a bit dry. Noticed a few factual errors such as specifying arcade Space Invaders has 48 aliens (8 by 6) ?!? I guess I can overlook these little things if I try hard. It does make some interesting connections between people in the industry that I wasn't aware of. Would also be nice if the font wasn't so small (for us over-forty crowd...)

I just found this thread! Anyway, I saw the error that you pointed out and I had hoped that this was fixed in the rewrite that I'm working on, and it wasn't! So I have since changed it where it says that there are 55 invaders arranged in five rows, each containing eleven. Thanks for pointing this out!

• Like 1

So I have since changed it where it says that there are 55 invaders arranged in five rows, each containing eleven. Thanks for pointing this out!

That's OK, I figure that you can just tell people that there are only 48 aliens.

Everyone who is "in-the-know" is aware that there are 7 un-aliened drones, for a total 55 ships onscreen... :P :)

desiv

p.s. Adding that book to my reading list.. Thanx!

Does it focus a lot to the Atari and pre crash period?

thats the one that interests me the most

Next year there will be a book out called "Before The Crash", edited by Mark Wolf. which contains essays about the pre-crash period. I contributed a chapter on Ball and Paddle consoles.

I just found this thread! Anyway, I saw the error that you pointed out and I had hoped that this was fixed in the rewrite that I'm working on, and it wasn't! So I have since changed it where it says that there are 55 invaders arranged in five rows, each containing eleven. Thanks for pointing this out!

Any idea when the 4th edition is coming out?

Any idea when the 4th edition is coming out?

No. It's been very slow-going. Taking a lot longer than anticipated.

After re-reading my comment, I may have been a little too blunt. I really enjoyed reading the book and recommend it to anyone interested in the history.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

No. It's been very slow-going. Taking a lot longer than anticipated.

The 4th edition came out in Oct 2016. It's a massive 800 or so pages. IMHO the most encompassing word on Home Video Game History. Amazing that near double the history has occurred since I first read the 1997 edition back in the day. The 70's and 80's material has been rewritten [and corrected where needed] so it's all fresh and about as accurate as is possible given the scope.

Folks this is history book in effect, while excellent and highly interesting it is not light fun reading.

http://www.rolentapress.com/

http://www.rolentapress.com/Form/thank_you2.html

and for those who would rather not support the author directly:

https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-IV-History-Videogame-Industry/dp/1539031292/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1485139916&sr=8-1&keywords=phoenix+herman&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=7243cc201d048800c12465fc5fdea21a

The cover certainly looks sexier than the 3rd edition., which I got via StoryBundle a while back. What are the main differences between the 4th edition and the prior ones?

Phoenix IV has been completely rewritten and has chapters up to the year 2015 (major events of 2016 are mentioned in the endnotes.).

Japanese and European history is included.

Over 1000 high-res B&W photos.

828 pages.

The book is available from Amazon in North America and Europe.

https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-IV-History-Videogame-Industry/dp/1539031292/ref=s9_simh_gw_g14_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=FCHP5R7VQDSAF56A8EF6&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=a6aaf593-1ba4-4f4e-bdcc-0febe090b8ed&pf_rd_i=desktop

An autographed copy could be purchased from www.rolentapress.com (U.S. only)

A deluxe color edition will be available soon.

Edited by rolenta
  • Like 1

Wow, congrats on that! Any plans for an ebook version?

I'm working on it and it should be done soon. I'm working on a Kindle version but will explore other formats. I still don't know if it will work because the size of the file may be too large for a Kindle to handle.