IGNORED

2600 only $16,000

nofrills100

That's one greedy son-of-a-bitch! :P He can eat it or be buried with it!

...and for a four switcher :roll:, please.. -screw that! - I sure don't want any four switcher in my house, sealed or not, -it's heavies only for me! :D

"but the system is one of the earliest and simultaneously, the MOST iconic models as this was the 1980 "woodgrain" system. This was the FIRST and exact Atari issue system that really took off in mainstream gaming culture. The system was only superseded in age by the slightly less popular, still in their infancy "Light" 6 switch, and "Heavy" sixer style Atari systems."

...oh of course - the less popular and underdeveloped sixer - makes this 'four' the one you want.

Normally I would say that you guys are just whining because you are getting free shipping, after all.

But, this auction has CF written all over it. Not only are you not getting free shipping as it is not explicit in the description, but the seller only ships to the US yet it is posted as a global auction.

Forget about $16K - my other points are what push this one into CF status.

But, this auction has CF written all over it. Not only are you not getting free shipping as it is not explicit in the description, but the seller only ships to the US yet it is posted as a global auction.

Forget about $16K - my other points are what push this one into CF status.

What's CF stand for?

Also, why can't people at least do a little research before posting very outrageous prices. Even if you have no clue what an Atari 2600 even is, even an insane person wouldn't pay $16,000 for one!

Also, why can't people at least do a little research before posting very outrageous prices. Even if you have no clue what an Atari 2600 even is, even an insane person wouldn't pay $16,000 for one!

He's got paragraphs about how it's been rigorously evaluated, and expertly judged to be the absolute top of the line Atari 2600, akin to a BU (brilliant un-circulated) super rare coin or a simply flawless crystal clear diamond.

He's got everybody's opinion listed, including those who specialize in antique "Toys" and games - everybody except a person who is knowledgeable specifically about Ataris! Someone who grew up with Atari -someone who still plays Atari as a full adult!

He either believes all the bullcrap coming out of his mouth, OR is a greedy bastard hoping a naive, rich person will come along and just pick it up since it is sealed history and all.

Sealed adds, sure, but it doesn't add that much!! :lol:

Hey iwan? or other sealed collectors, what's this really worth a couple of hundred?

He's got paragraphs about how it's been rigorously evaluated, and expertly judged to be the absolute top of the line Atari 2600, akin to a BU (brilliant un-circulated) super rare coin or a simply flawless crystal clear diamond.

He's got everybody's opinion listed, including those who specialize in antique "Toys" and games - everybody except a person who is knowledgeable specifically about Ataris! Someone who grew up with Atari -someone who still plays Atari as a full adult!

He either believes all the bullcrap coming out of his mouth, OR is a greedy bastard hoping a naive, rich person will come along and just pick it up since it is sealed history and all.

Sealed adds, sure, but it doesn't add that much!! :lol:

Hey iwan? or other sealed collectors, what's this really worth a couple of hundred?

Top quotes on this maybe 1200....maybe 1500....maybe even 2000, but that price is insane...Jobyt if you read this show scott....

Holy crap! I nearly choked on the taco I'm eating when I clicked this link, scrolled down a bit and saw that this boxed Atari 2600 system has been graded! :o

Clearly it is time for me to either:

1) Start a grading service, or

2) Send in a ton of stuff to get graded.

I'll be rich either way!

..Al

^Start a grading service for AA members!!!

It would be so hard to grade something without having another to compare it to, this auction says only 1 exists!

Has anyone ever considered this is a scam to launder money?

here is how it would work, product posted on ebay, collector (dealer) buys item via paypal, cash is transfered to paypal account in the us (avoids IRS/treasury department ect ect..) withdraws from paypal account a bit at a time or transfers to several other accounts.

as for an AA grading system yea that would rock!

sealed.... I'm going to get my hot glue gun out! Keep an eye out for some sealed items on epay soon ;) just kidding...

I questioned the price - here's a response:

Dear tom,

Right now, there is an AFA 75 Star Wars Boba Fett prototype with rocket

launcher with a BIN asking price of almost $12,000.00 (AFA has graded 7

of them, and the curent offering on Ebay is the LOWEST graded in the lot).

The 2 others listed at AFA 80's in the last 2 years on Ebay actually

sold for $14,000.00 and $15,000.00 respectively.

When you consider that as only 1 of countless examples, and then consider this is the only graded Atari Woodgrain 2600 in existence, it's really not a leap. YES, it's a

lot, for us or anyone, it is a lot, but this is a 1 of a kind, and possibly the

only Woodgrain left factory sealed (indefinitely the only one authenticated

as such) in the world. It is also the most iconic video game system ever

made.

I made the decision based on those factors. Sorry if the price causes

vertigo just looking at it, as it does some, while it seems to get nods

of "yeah, that's about right" from others.

Like I said, we'll probably just hang onto it as I doubt anyone at this time is going to see the long term potential of this system. I honestly would not be surprised though, to

see it fetch $50,000.00 or even $60,000.00 somewhere down the road in 20+

years much like the mint/uncirculated 1954 Superman Lunchbox and Spiderman #1

that sold at Sotheby's several years ago for $50,00 and $70,0000

respectively. -Ben

-the-mint-1980s-toy-museum

Like I say - hot glue gun and 20years - and by that time Albert will have set up that grading business, I'll be a billionaire!

hahaha... "the only graded Atari Woodgrain 2600 in existence"

Edited by nofrills100

This is funny for the following reasons.

1. Its not original because its a four switch.

2. Atari was available first in 78, not 80

3.you could get 100 sears heavy sixers for that price, let alone 1 four switch woody.

i know everyone here is aware of this, but i just had to say it.

im 19 years old and have been collecting for the atari for only a few years, and i can tell you that.

Holy crap! I nearly choked on the taco I'm eating when I clicked this link, scrolled down a bit and saw that this boxed Atari 2600 system has been graded! :o

Clearly it is time for me to either:

1) Start a grading service, or

2) Send in a ton of stuff to get graded.

I'll be rich either way!

..Al

The service only graded it an "80." -out of ....100? idk, but it was the guy that attached that price, he's the one who thinks he can get 16k for it, or 50k in 20+ years more time. Well he mentions two other Atari 2600 sales?(or were those Star Wars figurines?), to Tom, of 14k & 15k previously so maybe if the right person comes along then it could be sold at that price point,...I guess.

The service only graded it an "80." -out of ....100? idk, but it was the guy that attached that price, he's the one who thinks he can get 16k for it, or 50k in 20+ years more time. Well he mentions two other Atari 2600 sales?(or were those Star Wars figurines?), to Tom, of 14k & 15k previously so maybe if the right person comes along then it could be sold at that price point,...I guess.

The other sales mentioned were Star Wars figurines. I think he is stretching it to make dollar comparisons to prototypes. I guess he is trying to highlight the rise in values of vintage collectables from the 80's and their potential future values. But the straight forward Atari 2600 console wasn't produced in small amounts - even he claims that it was the most popular of the early ataris - so I can't see any amazing future rise in desirability for this particular model - even if it is unopened.

If you garaged from brand new say, a run of the mill 80's Honda Civic, would it be worth $100,000 in another 20 years? I don't think so. (sorry for comparing an atari to a honda...)

I reckon when people start to justify crazy prices with talk of massive future investment gain - that's when you know:

It ain't worth what they are asking... that's why they have to sweeten the deal with talk of future gain.

That the item generally doesn't carry itself beyond any $$$ value... ie. there isn't much else going for it to mention.

The seller is very $$$ orientated and is looking for a equally greedy sucker to believe his $$$ story.

The seller has no interest or passion with the item - he might as well be selling stocks,- and knows very little about the item.

YES, it's a

lot, for us or anyone, it is a lot, but this is a 1 of a kind, and possibly the

only Woodgrain left factory sealed (indefinitely the only one authenticated

as such) in the world.

Indefinitely?? I think his understand of Atari prices reflects his understanding of grammar.