IGNORED

The hijacked Odyssey Market

Rev. Rob

So, solution. Buy at fleas. Try to avoid eBay, but if you must, check their feedback to see if they sell a lot of consoles/games. Don't support re-sellers. Don't buy Dick's stuff online. Don't become part of the problem (for instance, making it your mission to be the Atari Heavy Sixer Guy).

Re-sellers suck. They are the antithesis of what true collecting is all about.

Good point but problem is that none of us here are going to be buying this guy's $1500 Odyssey 2s. It's the clueless folks that are buying this stuff.

Does he really have O2's he's trying to sell for $1500? Or only O1's? I haven't seen any O2's of this guys, but you can get an O2 for about $10 (or less) plus shipping all day, which is why it's such a waste of time trying to sell them at all.

Does he really have O2's he's trying to sell for $1500? Or only O1's? I haven't seen any O2's of this guys, but you can get an O2 for about $10 (or less) plus shipping all day, which is why it's such a waste of time trying to sell them at all.

No, all he has are original Odysseys.

Cool, thanks, that's what I thought. Several people in this thread have said O2/Odyssey2, and it just made me wonder if I was missing something in all that! I really wish I'd picked up the CIB one off ebay a couple years ago... it went for around $130 with all the extras... very complete and nice. Oh well.

Cool, thanks, that's what I thought. Several people in this thread have said O2/Odyssey2, and it just made me wonder if I was missing something in all that! I really wish I'd picked up the CIB one off ebay a couple years ago... it went for around $130 with all the extras... very complete and nice. Oh well.

I was only intending to illustrate a point not paying attention to specifics - that being $1500 for an Odyssey is something a member of AA is not going to pay.

I was only intending to illustrate a point not paying attention to specifics - that being $1500 for an Odyssey is something a member of AA is not going to pay.

I dunno, that "Identify a State Game" (Cart Jumper 5) looks pretty fun! The color overlays really enhance the white graphic squares!

(Sorry. I'm all about vintage, but Odyssey1, Pong?--no thanks)

My suspicion is that there are dealers/collectors out there that are watching evilbay and contacting sellers , then offering them a higher price then what was on evilbay - getting them to then claim no sale due to faulty item.

Though I have never done the above (because I don't like it) I can confirm this for you. I have been selling video game stuff on ebay off and on since 1997. A lot has changed on ebay since then. There is so much questionable stuff happening there that it would make your head spin. Unfortunately, it is still the place to go to get the most out of your item. As a seller I have dealt with both robotkingnes and Sweetstuff4U.

They both contact sellers which they think, don't know what they are doing/selling and tries to offer a price for the item that is higher than what it currently sits at. Newer sellers will often take the deals not realizing that 90% of all bidding happens in the last minute of an auction. If you let the auction go to the end, you will (99% of time) end up with more money for the item than what they offer you. I know, I have email proof. They thrive on sellers who want money right now to get their stock cheap.

I do find robotkingnes to be easier to deal with than Sweetstuff4U. Robotkingnes will not push you. Take that for what it is worth. Sweetstuff4U on the other hand is very pushy. Do a search here on AA and you will most likely find my dealings with him. Basiclly, I blocked him from an auction, he started a new account to win an item and I caught him after he paid. Ebay shut down his new account and he wasn't doing much for about 2 months. :D

There are other things that happen on ebay too. As a seller my favorite is the zero feedback buyer accounts that start up just because of your auction. This normally happens after you have been contacted by an other dealer trying to do the above trick of offering you money to end the auction early and you tell them no. A day or two before the end of auction, they bid up your item (to about what it would typically sell for at the end of an auction) and then send you a message asking you to please delete their bids because of some mistake. Normally, the reason used is their account has been hacked. If you do that, they then know what to bid on the auction at the last minute to get the item at a great price under there regular account name. Since they bid it up so high, a lot of people who were watching the auction are now no longer watching (because they think it is now out of their price range). This happens to me on every (yes every) major video game auction I have put up.

If the above happens to you, DON'T cancel their bids. 90% of the time some legitimate bidder will out bid them at the last second. If the high bid goes to the guy who said cancel my bids, just relist the item. Works every time.

• Like 4

I really wish I'd picked up the CIB one off ebay a couple years ago... it went for around $130 with all the extras... very complete and nice. Oh well.

It's too bad. I'm interested in the Odyssey but NO way for anything even close.

Actual Odyssey auctions in the past few months still end around the $130 mark, so all hope is not lost for a prospective Odyssey collector. :)

I really wish I'd picked up the CIB one off ebay a couple years ago... it went for around $130 with all the extras... very complete and nice. Oh well.

Actual Odyssey auctions in the past few months still end around the $130 mark, so all hope is not lost for a prospective Odyssey collector. :)

For a complete, MIB one? Basically brand spanking new and complete, just with the box opened? Really...? Hmmmm... if so, I will consider looking for one again. I never pay attention to ebay anymore, I've been burned so many times I gave up on it altogether (that's half the problem right there).

For a complete, MIB one? Basically brand spanking new and complete, just with the box opened? Really...? Hmmmm... if so, I will consider looking for one again. I never pay attention to ebay anymore, I've been burned so many times I gave up on it altogether (that's half the problem right there).

Ya, maybe $150. It only gets up there further in price if it's a Run 1 unit. Those go for around $200 to $250.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2505275413021?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250527541302&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Yeah Rev. wasnt kidding, Robotkingnes just bought up this system too. The ID is blocked but you can tell by the exact same feedback # and the similar letters not blocked.

What is his/her deal, seems like a total nutjob weirdo!

I guess I have pretty much lost all interest in getting this system if people like this are out there ruining the fun.

Wow, fascinating thread. I do not collect Odyssey (I had one when I was a kid--I was not impressed by it even then!) but just had the Robot King buy a heavy 6er from me on eBay. I had offered it at a pretty fair (maybe a bit low) BIN and he grabbed it about an hour before the auction ended. I have had a look at his feedback and his prices are insane... I can't understand how anyone would pay what he is asking unless they have no idea how to do a search on eBay. Or maybe his buyers are all drunk or high? I agree that his is a pretty bad business model unless for some reason the market for old video games gets really hot. That has not been my experience though... I am just happy to be able to fund my hobby.

That said, he was a pleasure to deal with and was really happy with the system I sent him. I have to admit--I can't wait to see if he relists the Wico Boss stick I included. Should be worth at least $29.99, right?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2505275413021?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250527541302&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Yeah Rev. wasnt kidding, Robotkingnes just bought up this system too. The ID is blocked but you can tell by the exact same feedback # and the similar letters not blocked.

I guess I have pretty much lost all interest in getting this system if people like this are out there ruining the fun.

Don't give up hope. That one that you posted wasn't too bad. There's two complete ones on eBay right now that are looking pretty good.

If the above happens to you, DON'T cancel their bids. 90% of the time some legitimate bidder will out bid them at the last second. If the high bid goes to the guy who said cancel my bids, just relist the item. Works every time.

Wow, I did not even think about this. I imagine they use 2 accounts to do it. I have seen some fishy stuff on ebay and have basically given up on ebay unless it is something I really want.

Wow, I did not even think about this. I imagine they use 2 accounts to do it. I have seen some fishy stuff on ebay and have basically given up on ebay unless it is something I really want.

That's one of the reasons why you aren't supposed to be able to retract a bid in the last few hours.

People used to do it all the time so they had to change the rules.

Don't give up hope. That one that you posted wasn't too bad. There's two complete ones on eBay right now that are looking pretty good.

Robotkingnes is bidding on those systems too so no point!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEDWX:IT

keep looking - I recently picked up an Odessey 4000 and an Odessey 2 CIB at reasonable prices (including US to Australia postage) - they do happen! ......mind you it took a lot of looking and losing out to those guys before a couple slipped through the net.

keep looking - I recently picked up an Odessey 4000 and an Odessey 2 CIB at reasonable prices (including US to Australia postage) - they do happen! ......mind you it took a lot of looking and losing out to those guys before a couple slipped through the net.

We're talking about an actual Odyssey. Both the Odyssey 4000 and Odyssey^2 are very common and inexpensive.

If you go to eBay you can see what Dick is doing. It does suck, but I just found Dick's kryptonite. He can't everywhere at all times; he's not Superman. It's funny running into this awesome find (at a flea market) around when this topic was starting.

Got it for $20 (not $999 like Dick is selling on eBay). Yeah, there are no overlays or instructions, but the "carts" are pristine (pure silver contacts). Plus, the seller said he doubted if it got much use. Sure enough the gun cocks and shoots real nice. AVGN was right, it feels real. And, damn, for 1972, this thing is as old as me.

Now I guess I need to get a Odyssey1 (after I just trash-talked it).

post-23143-125872776284_thumb.jpg

If you go to eBay you can see what Dick is doing. It does suck, but I just found Dick's kryptonite. He can't everywhere at all times; he's not Superman. It's funny running into this awesome find (at a flea market) around when this topic was starting.

Got it for $20 (not $999 like Dick is selling on eBay). Yeah, there are no overlays or instructions, but the "carts" are pristine (pure silver contacts). Plus, the seller said he doubted if it got much use. Sure enough the gun cocks and shoots real nice. AVGN was right, it feels real. And, damn, for 1972, this thing is as old as me.

Thats a great find, good job. I have yet to get a good one, but I am hopeful.

Very sweet deal. :)

Also, here's a pretty good unit that sold for $152. eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3003675956311?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=300367595631&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Maybe Dick is going to try to actually sell some stock before buying more.

Edit: Never mind, that one did go to robotkingnes. :(

Crap, I just looked through his history. It looks like he's snatching every ROB the Robot for NES as well and relisting them for much more.

• 2 months later...

i got lucky and got mine for $100 and its an EARLY run 1. It was missing a couple things but it did come with percepts. I have since finished the set and is now MIB. With the shooting gallery, rare case, and 6 extra games of 72. Plus some odd things like service manual and nr12 and advertisements. All for around $500 total plus shipping