IGNORED

PM 1.5

NRV

• 1 month later...

I just reread the thread, and I wanted to comment on the APAC thing. I've never seen it work on NTSC monitors. You end up with exactly what's being sent: a bunch of b&w lines with faint colored lines in between them. I have seen it work on a NTSC/PAL Multi-system TV where the line mixing was not disabled in NTSC mode.

Heh, I'm really affraid of asking about... icon_wink.gif

So, how is it now?

Don't be anymore :D

Nice timing by the way haha

Just yesterday night I was feeling like posting some kind of cryptic message to tease the people here, because.. it was kind of cool looking to the fine movement forward and backward, at different points in the map, running at over 20FPS :) (in fact I haven't lost that silly smile yet.. haha)

The only thing that I don't like right now is some artifacting with the forward/backward movements, because of the low horizontal resolution, but I can live with that (for now).

I HATE to give dates.. you know.. but I (hope) to have something to show the next week.

I still need to fix a bug with the movement (1 hour), add some code to use the tile offset in negative directions (a couple of hours) and fix any possible bug with the "texture coordinates" or any other unexpected bug (unknown hours). After that I probably try to do some visual and speed optimizations.

Ah.. also: choosing Miker's music for next demo (8 hours.. is hard to choose, ok?).

I just reread the thread, and I wanted to comment on the APAC thing. I've never seen it work on NTSC monitors. You end up with exactly what's being sent: a bunch of b&w lines with faint colored lines in between them. I have seen it work on a NTSC/PAL Multi-system TV where the line mixing was not disabled in NTSC mode.

After the video from Allas at post 40, I was thinking that the difference wasn't that bad. I don't know, but maybe the current Altirra is a good indicator of the difference between PAL and NTSC? (with PAL artifacting ON/OFF). If that's the case I can live with that.. but obviously PAL has the better "rendering".

Greetings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToIiWMf_XqU&fmt=6

Well, I only can said that this demo is one of the best 3D that I ever had seen on Atari. On this type of game maybe colors are more valuable that resolution. Look this:

- 128/256 colors on screen

- APAC GTIA mode

- Full DLIs on the whole screen

- Narrow screen

- Full use of 6502 CPU

- Full use of memory

- Banking memory (on future realeases)

- Free (i hope) :D

Wolfenstein 3D port? When do we get the 5200 version?

Edited by OldAtarian

Oooops.. you should always take the time given by programmers and multiply it by a factor of 1.5 at least :)

Just a small update, the "thing" is running without major bugs since Thursday night (and at a good frame rate I should say..), and now I'm having some fun packing memory, testing some graphics, doing a new map and adding some "gameplay" elements (!?), so probably I'm going to take some more days.. but I suppose that if someone has waited for a year, a week more is nothing :)

Regards.

(a picture from the previous week)

post-11240-129099921829_thumb.png

Looking at the picture...

Am I correct that you lowered the horizontal resolution twice from previous demo?

regards,

Jakub

No, I haven't touched the screen resolution or the texture resolution.. same as ever.

Why do you think that? maybe the picture looks compressed?

I experimented changing the fov at some point (to a greater one), but the wall graphics lose definition that way, so I reverted to the original.

By the way, that picture is from a bug and the graphics are corrupted, don't think it still look like that :D

Regards.

(by the way, how is YOUR project going? :) )

Looking at the picture...

Am I correct that you lowered the horizontal resolution twice from previous demo?

Jakub

No, I haven't touched the screen resolution or the texture resolution.. same as ever.

Why do you think that? maybe the picture looks compressed?

Maybe he didn't click on the graphic to expand. It looks that way before you click on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Can we expect a Christmas present in shape of new playable demo(moving forward/backward), etc? :) Because the weeks are passing and... ;)

Yes!

I suppose my factor was more like 3.5 anyway :)

But that was because I had some fun adding a lot of "little" details.. and I could continue doing that for some weeks, but now is time to let this "child" go..

With a little luck only one more day.

Regards.

I had another thought ... I noticed you used APAC (9/11) mode. If you instead mix it with mode 10 (10/11) and let 10 be monochrome colors, your screen resolution will double horizontally from 80 pixels to 160. The downside is you get 128 colors instead of 256. I've seen this used in HIP mode but I am surprised more people haven't tried this in APAC mode.

That's TIP mode, and the Mode 10 has to be alternated with Mode 9 each pair of scanlines, then reversed again each frame.

As nice as a perceived 160 resolution (or 128 in this case) would be, you're then looking at about double the calculations and draws so half the speed.