IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

And on the RGR subject, I was pretty taken aback by Dinosaur Pie in this ep. I think his point was mostly "there are lots of good modern games with a retro-feel, and you should check them out!". But it came across as confrontational and maybe a little insulting?

I just listened to this the other day.

I guess I'm supposed to know who that guy is (I don't), but doesn't he make games? If so, it would seem he's got a bit of an axe to grind in saying "you all need to buy new games!"

Even without that factor at play, like just about every single other person who has expressed bewilderment at the fascination with retro games, he's completely missing the point.

"If you only play retro, you'll never get anything new."

Poppycock! I play "new to me" games all the time, and I could probably continue to do so for years and never run out.

"There are tons of new games made in a retro style, you're missing out."

Again, completely missing the point. The limitations of old hardware FORCED creativity and ingenuity, and this shines through in the experience of playing the games. In other words, blocky "sylized" graphics and mock-chiptunes running on a modern, blazing fast hardware platform with analog controls (or worse, touch controls) is just not the same. Throw in pop-up bubble tutorials, 300 intro screens pimping studio names before I can start playing, endless "coins" to "buy" features, DRM, forced downloadable updates, and "share on Facebook" banners all over the place, and you've completely squashed any retro cred that you might have otherwise had (but frankly, probably didn't). It's like a big fart at the dinner table--the mood is ruined.

IMO, the best "modern retro" games are ones that draw upon the timeless positive traits associated with retro games (such as easy to understand pick-up-and-play design, immediacy, healthy challenge, short bursts of to-the-point-high-intensity action, creative scoring systems, etc.) while not trying to cash in on superficial touch points like blocky graphics and gimped audio.

Even though it's several years old now, I always point to Super Stardust HD on PS3 as what I personally believe to be a shining example of "modern retro" done properly. With the gorgeous 3D visuals it doesn't try to pretend that it's not running on a modern platform, but it maintains that distinctly arcade spirit without all of the above-mentioned fluff and distractions that mire so many releases these days.

• Like 4

^

I pretty much agree with everything you said. Another thing for me that's rarely taken into account by this "Get new stuff, you're missing out" argument is that I love the old hardware more than the new stuff. Am I missing out? Not really. Like I said, I prefer the old hardware. I like joysticks and paddles. I like useful switches and keys on my system. I like cartridges and tapes! If I bought a PS4 and OxBone I would only be buying systems that I don't really want to use controllers that I don't really like in an enclosed 'ecosystem' that I sure as shit resent!

Besides, when it comes to new games, there's rarely a day goes by without someone putting out a brand new title for the VCS, Vic 20, C64, Speccy or any number of old machines... I AM PLAYING NEW GAMES.

...300 intro screens pimping studio names before I can start playing.

This always reminds me of the time back when the XBOX360 was new in stores (2006?) & my older brother & I were in a Best Buy & started playing the demo model of "Ready2Rumble" Boxing & swear to God if we didnt stand there for AT LEAST an entire minute before we could do anything, watching these flash by.

I knew well before then that it wasnt for me, but this was one of many perfect examples of why.

Caught up on (binge-listened to) some past Retro League shows, for lack of anything else to listen to. Didnt hear anything that made me regret my unsub decision. Rob still says "yeah" & "like" like, way too much, & excessive RPG talk.

Interesting that ClassicL33T podcast is still around (as of last Dec.) Didnt think they'd get this far.

• Like 1

Caught up on (binge-listened to) some past Retro League shows, for lack of anything else to listen to. Didnt hear anything that made me regret my unsub decision. Rob still says "yeah" & "like" like, way too much, & excessive RPG talk.

Interesting that ClassicL33T podcast is still around (as of last Dec.) Didnt think they'd get this far.

Listening to a group of RetroNauts episodes as well, yeah, on the "jump the shark" episode, I have now lost count of how many times they have namedropped FF and Hideo Kajima. They do realize there's more than just FF and Metal Gear for video games, right?

No Quarter does Arcade Draft 2. I didnt think Flack's theme was that difficult to guess, They certainly made a big to-do about it. I got it on the 3rd game (Aces, which to me invokes either pilots or playing cards). King of the Monsters sealed it for me. I guess they didnt hear me screaming it at them through my iPod.

I thought the 5th guy was going for "high-scoring Scrabble tiles" what with QBert, Zaxxon, Capcom Bowling (a "strike" is an X), Asteroids is "v"ector on an "x"-y monitor, then the Dragon's Lair threw me.

Also it was said Cloak & Dagger was available as a conversion kit for Robotron. I know such kits exist(ed) but were they cross-company like that (e.g. between Atari & Williams)? I cant think of any Atari twin-stick games that arent vector.

Edited by RJ

I enjoyed the last NQ. It was an interesting change from the usual episode.

Will-E echoed my viewpoints where there needs to be a podcast about Apple // games. There was one(1 MHz) ,but there haven't been new episodes since 2012, in favor of NQ. Now that I have an Apple //e and //gs, maybe I should get off my duff and do some game coverage.

Edited by S1500
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the last NQ. It was an interesting change from the usual episode.

Will-E echoed my viewpoints where there needs to be a podcast about Apple // games. There was one(1 MHz) ,but there haven't been new episodes since 2012, in favor of NQ. Now that I have an Apple //e and //gs, maybe I should get off my duff and do some game coverage.

Applevisions with S1500 and SocalMike :)

• Like 2

My brother had a Apple II while he was attending college. I remember going to the store with him to pick up something he needed for his college course and me finding Castle Wolfenstein on the shelf. My brother really could not afford to get it, but he did anyway. We spent the entire weekend playing that game to the point we start saying "achtung", "Aieeee" and "SS" at each other in public. we got quite a few strange looks :) that was the very first game I played on a Apple II, one of my best memories of my bro before losing him to cancer a few years ago.

• Like 5

I recently uploaded all of the past episodes of the IMPLANTgames Podcast to my YouTube channel. Over half the episodes aren't available on the main website anymore, and I'm not sure if they are still available on iTunes. If you want to catch any part of the 70 episode run, you can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAC2BDE6B01582B9E

Edited by Austin

Hey Guys!

Preston from the Gameroom Junkies Podcast here! S1500, thanks for starting this thread and keeping it going. I just listened to the Poddie Awards episode you put out - nice work, man! You guys ever think about creating a wiki or something with a permanent listing of podcasts? At 107 pages and counting, this thread is getting massive! Congrats!

I've checked out this thread several times over the years and have gleaned some good insight into what folks like in a podcast. Now I'm coming over here asking for some direct and honest criticism to try and make our podcast better. I have come to the realization that our podcast has grown somewhat stagnant, dowloads are down, and the direction has shifted over the years. Part of that has to do with mine and Patrick's shifting interests within the hobby, time commitments with families, and starting the Southeast's first giant Retro-gaming expo, The Southern-Fried Gameroom Expo. And due to that the podcast has suffered and taken a back seat in many cases. I'm looking to change that.

We're almost to our 50th episode (released 48 last week) and we're looking to re-focus the podcast and come out swinging. We've already implemented a slight rebrand to the website in anticipation of the new direction for the 50th show (www.gameroomjunkies.com), but now need some help in rebranding the show format. I'd love to see what you think will give us a shot in the arm.

Thanks again to those of you who have listened to us over the years and especially those of you who have stuck with us throughout it all.

• Like 2

Hey Guys!

Preston from the Gameroom Junkies Podcast here! S1500, thanks for starting this thread and keeping it going. I just listened to the Poddie Awards episode you put out - nice work, man! You guys ever think about creating a wiki or something with a permanent listing of podcasts? At 107 pages and counting, this thread is getting massive! Congrats!

Thanks again to those of you who have listened to us over the years and especially those of you who have stuck with us throughout it all.

I beleieve someone on the "Podcasts!" Facebook group has mentioned a google document with records of all the podcasts out there. It's for more than just the 3 types mentioned here(classic video games, retro computing, pinball).

I haven't noticed any slowdown with Gameroom Junkies whatsoever. I'm still subscribed.

Edited by S1500

Havent had time to think this over greatly but here's my preliminary thoughts...

Im not a big pinball guy, I acknowledge it & get that it has fans but I dont personally care to hear about it. When I recently briefly caught a few of your latest shows I got a big pinball vibe there.

I used to sub but I like to clean up my podcast list every now & then, shows that dont update frequently enough (for my taste), or those with personally unappealing topics get wiped. A lengthy show recorded at a con/expo of "personalities" or "celebs" talking pinball doesnt interest me...but again, that's ME. Im aware this interests OTHER listeners; Im a big boy now & can skip thru or delete shows I dont care for. But repeated "offenses" will call for your removal.

I always liked the "gameroom" aspect of your show, & discuss what you've acquired lately, & personal stories/anecdotes always interest me. In a few yrs time I plan to revamp my kids' playroom (read: LEGO room) in favor of a gameroom & appreciate listening to your themes & ideas.

Soo, thats it from me for now, from thinking about it briefly....

Oh & continue keeping it clean...thats a personal pet peeve of mine. I dont want to rehash it all but the more swearing, the more in my eyes (ears?) respect & intelligence drops. I usually excuse it during a rant or getting a point across but spreading it on thick, using it as a regular part of speech like so many youngsters do nowadays, is a definite no-no.

I recall yrs back a certain podcast (name escapes me, it was out east/DC area, I talk about it earlier in this thread) was going along OK, very enjoyable when suddenly they did a "180" & began swearing profusely & took a general nosedive IMO. They didnt last much longer. I always thought that was their last-ditch attempt to gain more listeners by attracting the LCD.

& no, it wasnt that horrid episode 5 from Retro Domination. I always considered that an experiment they did as well.

Edited by RJ