IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Oh & continue keeping it clean...thats a personal pet peeve of mine. I dont want to rehash it all but the more swearing, the more in my eyes (ears?) respect & intelligence drops. I usually excuse it during a rant or getting a point across but spreading it on thick, using it as a regular part of speech like so many youngsters do nowadays, is a definite no-no...

I've often wondered about this. Why does the so-called curse word (an arbitrary cultural thing to begin with) bother certain people? Doesn't someone have to want to be "offended" for any offense to be possible? This is a friendly discussion point, by the way. I'm not criticizing anyone based on his tastes in rhetoric. That would be silly. We're all different, which is a good thing. So take this in the spirit of inquiry, not judgment.

I simply find it interesting to ask about people's reasoning when they suddenly decide to let benign things bother them. From my perspective, they're mere words. They're sounds made with the human mouth. They have no power over anyone, unless he gives them that power.

These swearing sounds we make are harshly consonant, healthy releases of tension; wonderfully percussive ventilation conduits; or humorous emphases. So I wonder where the line is usually drawn, at least chronologically. If, to be arbitrary, I had a podcast and tended to swear, I would ask anyone who complained: So, did you curse when you were younger, and then pass a particular line into adulthood, after which certain phonetic combinations started tasting bad to your ears, without your fully conscious participation?

Alternatively, if / when you had kids, did you abruptly discover a fear about their growing up too fast, so you began to hold others to your own recently updated lingual standards? Are these even good guesses? I'm genuinely curious.

Wellll...that can be another topic for another time.

I actually thought it might be a useful point to discuss among podcasters -- i.e. in a thread like this, especially when some are asking about listener preferences.

See? You want to swear at me now, right? Wouldn't it feel good? :D

Back to seriousness. (Making a pensive face) I didn't include any swear words in my book, apart from a couple of "hells" and "damns" -- plus one "ass-kicking," I believe -- because my writing usually doesn't include the more hardcore cursing, to put it simply. I swear more in speech than in prose. Who knows why? Maybe it's similar to what you said: It just doesn't look intelligent, because anyone can use those words, and they're often cop-outs that are used in place of words that would have clarified the points more effectively. But I wasn't asking myself, or I would have answered myself. And I wouldn't have made you guys eavesdrop like this. :P

I don't mind swearing in the podcast now and then if it's used to make a point, or to add on to one, or cause it's just how the person is and they have good thoughts about the subject matter. RGR is a great example of this. There's some swearing in Atarivisions, but it's not heavy. And I love Watch Out For Fireballs, despite the swearing and the sexual humor, cause the material IS so good -- well researched, in depth, good chemistry, lots of humor, and entertaining and interesting to listen to.

• Like 1

1) I like the pinball discussion in Gameroom Junkies. Gamerooms often have pinballs in them, so it naturally fits.

2) As for swearing, as long as you aren't swearing for swearing's sake. I occasionally do it, but try not to plaster it all thru the podcast where it sounds like I have issues. Very few have crossed the line, where it looks like you're weird or trying too hard.

As for cuss-free 'casts, some podcast listeners are parents, and wouldn't mind listening to clean 'casts on long road trips, or doing chores together. So there's a market for that. There's room for both clean & not-so-clean.

• Like 2

Re: Gameroom Junkies, it's a great show, but I've tuned out recently due to the preponderance of pinball talk.

Re: swearing in podcasts, it is annoying when f-bombs get used to punctuate otherwise "calm" dialog, but I also don't understand why some make such a big deal out of it.

• Like 1

So. Was Serial the peak of podcasting? Is it all downhill from here?

It was just the most popular. I don't think we've hit peak of it since it's all ethereal with varying topics & discussion. There's no uphill or downhill trend I see. We just all gain wisdom from previous podcasts. Some come, some go, some keep recording.

Listening to RGR right now. My "fresh podcasts" playlists is acting up, where the # of tracks radically goes up as I listen to more podcasts. It should go down, as it's just a list of 'casts with 0 listens.

Listening to the interview right now, and I swore I heard this one before. I heard the CGE reference, and the reference to a military manual for the lowest common denominator. Not sure if a repeated story, or a whole repeated interview.

Listening to RGR right now. My "fresh podcasts" playlists is acting up, where the # of tracks radically goes up as I listen to more podcasts. It should go down, as it's just a list of 'casts with 0 listens.

Listening to the interview right now, and I swore I heard this one before. I heard the CGE reference, and the reference to a military manual for the lowest common denominator. Not sure if a repeated story, or a whole repeated interview.

I think the Nick Talesfore interview is the same one from Channel F Files.

Cursing in podcasts doesn't bother me, unless is excessive and extraneous (it also has a lot to do with the personalities of the hosts, and the context). For The Intellivisionaries, due to personal preferences, and our association with Keith Robinson, and former game programmers, we choose to keep it clean... for the most part. There can be "colorful" language for comedic effect, but it's "Intelli-censored" with game sound effects. To me, that's even funnier than the actual curse words.

• Like 1

And DeadFlip is good. Gave them props on Twitter, and praised them for the episode length(under 3 hours). B+

Interesting now that the band The Tubes has now been mentioned twice lately. I played their song at the end of the 2014 poddies, and Ferg posted the Megamania commercial featuring... The Tubes.

The Tubes!

• Like 1

On the latest Retronauts mini episode, Bob Mackey said that no one else but him has talked to themselves for more than 5 minutes on a podcast. I think a lot of podcasters here may take issue with that.

Also, I liked how he said at the beginning that he was talking without a net or something similar to that, then read from a script.

I really liked Retronauts better when Bob Mackey took over, but stop it.

• Like 1

On the latest Retronauts mini episode, Bob Mackey said that no one else but him has talked to themselves for more than 5 minutes on a podcast. I think a lot of podcasters here may take issue with that.

Also, I liked how he said at the beginning that he was talking without a net or something similar to that, then read from a script.

I really liked Retronauts better when Bob Mackey took over, but stop it.

Somehow, somewhere, why, I don't know, but I re-subscribed to Retronauts. With a grain of salt. It must have been due to podcast draught. What's disappointing about their show is that their mini-episodes have way better topics(TI-99/4A, Yellow Magic Orchestra) that are only talked about for 5 minutes, compared to the Dennis Miller-like 2-hour stretches of their normal episodes. Wow, can you tie the topic to Earthbound AGAIN!?!?

For all their Patreon donations, etc, they sure don't seem to really acknowledge/interact with their millions of listeners. I don't see them cross-pollinating with other podcasters. Having some columnist from a dime-a-dozen gaming website doesn't count. I see none of the good qualities I see form the Retro Junkies Network or Throwback Network. No sense of community. Not 1 email? A re-tweet?

Retronauts is in its own vacuum.

Somehow, somewhere, why, I don't know, but I re-subscribed to Retronauts....I don't see them cross-pollinating with other podcasters.

Well, we dont need Kat Bailey on more podcasts, if that's what that'd lead to. :lol: Retronauts are in their ivory (podcasting) tower. Do they really fly Parrish in from the East Coast? That's where all the $$$ goes I bet.

I don't even listen to the micro eps or whatever they're called. Unnecessary.

"RETRONAUTS MICRO EPISODES- when you absolutely need to listen to something while going to get the mail."

• Like 1

Any plans for the big 5-0?

YES!!!

We are going to have an anniversary show of sorts for episode 50, and we want everyone to contribute. Send us an email to feedback(at)nowyoureplayingwith(dot)com and tell us your favorite or not favorite moments of the show. We are also looking for audio submissions.

I really want this episode to be special, so I hope to hear from everyone on the infamous AA thread.

• Like 4