IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Bad news: Rob O'Hara is retiring from podcasting. Aww.

Really? When/where did he announce this?

He was probably my favorite podcaster in the "retro" space, so for me this is a major bummer. But lives get busy, and I guess shows come and shows go. At least there are still lots of others continuing to churn out high quality content.

Really? When/where did he announce this?

He was probably my favorite podcaster in the "retro" space, so for me this is a major bummer. But lives get busy, and I guess shows come and shows go. At least there are still lots of others continuing to churn out high quality content.

It hasn't gone public yet. We got notified via e-mail a few days ago if your a Patreon sponsor.

He's BEEN in grad school for a year ago and the need to finish it is one reason he's taking a break. And I'm not calling it 'retiring' and he's not either -- just taking a leave of absence.

There's one more episode of YDKF planned to come out soon.

Dauber, on 31 Aug 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:Dauber, on 31 Aug 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

I haven't heard any of his non-No Quarter podcasts. Glad that it seems he's only going on hiatus. I've been meaning to listen to some of his other stuff.

All of his podcasts are awesome. At one time he was doing four:

You Don't Know Flak: The 'main' one, with a bunch of topics ranging from tech to non tech

Sprite Castle: C-64 Game by Game podcast

Cactus Flak: A game by game summary and breakdown of arcade games he owned at one time

Multipule Sadness: Covering bad movies 'so bad their good'

And then there were other podcasts that he would guest on quite a lot.

Over the last year due to grad school he started to cut way back, so I'm not totally shocked he's taking a leave of absence, just hope he comes back at one point.

Edited by SoulBlazer

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a podcast of my own coming out by Wednesday. It's called "The Memory Machine" and tackles all aged pop culture, but our first topic is pre-crash video games. I'll post a link here when it comes out, but if any of you guys have wanna listen and give some feedback, I'd really appteciate it!

• Like 4

Good show. Hosts speak intelligibly. I think this demonstrates the "podcast quality" bar has been raised & listeners don't care for just any junk pumped into their listening-holes.

Thanks for the feedback, and for the compliments! If there's one thing I can't stand in a podcast, is hosts coming in unprepared. Not that it has to be all written out, but just have a rough outline with some important bullet points you want to hit in conversation.

The hard drive on my 160 gig iPod died earlier this year after eight years of service. (First time a hard drive ever died on me, believe it or not.)

OWC sells a little thingy that hacks the iPod so that you can replace it with an SD. I have a 200 gig microSD in it now. It does the job, but it's very sensitive: one drop and the springy mechanism releases the card and you have to reseat it.

• Like 1

The hard drive on my 160 gig iPod died earlier this year after eight years of service. (First time a hard drive ever died on me, believe it or not.)

OWC sells a little thingy that hacks the iPod so that you can replace it with an SD. I have a 200 gig microSD in it now. It does the job, but it's very sensitive: one drop and the springy mechanism releases the card and you have to reseat it.

There's a neat little community that hacks the storage for ipods that I discovered when my 160 gig died. It was neat to see the SD options(dual even).

But how did you get yours open? I opened it once before, but.....

Thick guitar picks and thin flathead screwdriver. Not fun, and the result was not pretty. I used the guide on ifixit.com. Metal casing bent all to hell. No longer waterproof as a result, so I wrapped electrical tape around the edges where there was any kind of possible exposure to moisture. It looks ugly, but it works. (And its ugliness is probably a good theft deterrent!)

• Like 1