IGNORED

Got My Kolony 2106, Nice but...

Velcro_SP

I got my copy of the new space strategy game for Atari 8bit: Kolony 2106. Ordered it somewhat more than a week ago. The carton is cool looking, but unlikely to be very durable over time. It'll get squashed pretty easily. That's understandable, because it would add a lot to the purchase price to have a really nice box, like an Avalon Hill box, or an Origin Ultima 4 box.

The stuff inside the box is nice. The gadget is a key fob w. flashlight stamped Kolony 2106 and w. some art. I got the 3-disk version: a Polish disk, a Czech disk, and an English disk. Those are 180k disks. You can also order a single high density disk w. all three versions on it. Also there is a CD with emulators, the game, and game music on it. It includes the new Altirra emulator, as well as a version of Darek Mihocka's XFormer, as well as Atari++ and another emulator. The music is in different formats including MP3. It's cool music but there's not an whole lot of it. The CDs and floppies have nice labels.

Unfortunately the game won't run on my A800, it's an XL/XE game. That's okay, as I have an XEGS too, but I might not have bought it if I knew it were only XL/XE. True, I could have asked to make sure. It looks like it is playable via the emulators too, so that is okay.

Game didn't work on Atari 800 because it require 64 KB RAM and it really make a good use of that space. Less than 200 free bytes remains. We put a lot of effort to optimise code of the game to fit so many features as possible into memory. I can't imagine to fit that game in 48 KB.

BTW. I'm curious if anybody make it to reach 500 milions yet?

Game didn't work on Atari 800 because it require 64 KB RAM and it really make a good use of that space. Less than 200 free bytes remains. We put a lot of effort to optimise code of the game to fit so many features as possible into memory. I can't imagine to fit that game in 48 KB.

For what it's worth, my 800 has 64k. The RAM is in a different configuration than the "RAM under the ROM" in the XL/XE series. I am still happy with my Kolony 2106 purchase, don't get me wrong. Look forward to your next offering.

For what it's worth, my 800 has 64k. The RAM is in a different configuration than the "RAM under the ROM" in the XL/XE series. I am still happy with my Kolony 2106 purchase, don't get me wrong. Look forward to your next offering.

I'm really happy with Kolony. I ordered 2 copes which was lucky because one copy was very badly damaged in the post.

My one recommendation for the authors would be to charge a bit more for international shipping and ship it in a steel crate or something :)

The homebrew packaging is really eye-catching. It got a lot of compliments from the guys in the office (Xbox group.)

post-11578-125856683979_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm really happy with Kolony. I ordered 2 copes which was lucky because one copy was very badly damaged in the post.

My one recommendation for the authors would be to charge a bit more for international shipping and ship it in a steel crate or something :)

The homebrew packaging is really eye-catching. It got a lot of compliments from the guys in the office (Xbox group.)

The game box also was damaged, or only outside box?

The game box also was damaged, or only outside box?

The game box was bent too. It poped back into shape however, and I think the CD kept the floppy disks from getting too badly bent. My guess is that the game works fine. I have to wait to try becuse I have my Atari 800 setup now and need to get out an XL or XE.