IGNORED

Possible Colecovision Auction

VonGuard

Hey there folks. I am the guy who found the Cabbage Patch game for 2600, and I've continued to find great things at the local flea market since last summer (Best summer evar!)

So, here's my deal. I am trying to start a non-profit museum. It's a giant, 10 to 15 year plan, and I'm aiming for the stars. I don't want to talk it up, though. What I do want is to be able to afford the IRS application and state incorporation fees for starting such a non-profit. Basically, I have done all the leg work, now all I need is money. Unfortunately, as it takes about a year to get non-profit status from the IRS, I can't yet hold a charity auction for this money, because you'd all have already filed your taxes for this year by the time the status was approved.

Basically, that means this hypothetical auction of mine is NOT a charity auction. It's just me straight up auctioning my goodies.

I was thinking that a Colecovision prototype sale would be a nice way to start this museum. Would I do better auctioning these separately or all-together:

Spy Hunter (3 versions, eproms only)

2010 the Action game (1 on cart, 1 bare eproms)

Aardvark (non-working. Debugger inline, eproms only)

Wargames (on cart)

Bank switch test (what it says, one eprom)

One blank colecovision cart with no markings, unknown, NOT FROM SAME PLACE AS THE OTHER PROTOS recent find and possibly not a proto: Unknown proto. Lighter for size.

You can look at these protos and the others I found last summer at http://www.gism.net/roms.zip and for the backstory on the protos as a whole: http://blog.gism.net/?p=135

The code for everything is in there, so you can see if they work by loading them into an emulator. As I recall, all of these worked, save for Aardvark.

Additionally, what if I auctioned some other protos, like Skies of Arcadia for Dreamcast, or Faselei for Neo Geo Pocket Color?

Anyway, what kinds of prices would I get? Would it be better to sell in a lot or individually, so everyone can have Christmas presents?

I think there are like 3 people separately all trying to start video game museums and stuff these days....arcade/console, etc...

The amount of time and effort to find everything is going to be insane, but one of these days, someone should really just put everything I own in a museum =P Might save people the trouble.

I think there are like 3 people separately all trying to start video game museums and stuff these days....arcade/console, etc...

The amount of time and effort to find everything is going to be insane, but one of these days, someone should really just put everything I own in a museum =P Might save people the trouble.

Again, this is not about the museum, per se. Just wanted to let you know what the money would be spent on. It's WAY too early to talk about the museum, but if you wanted to place bets on all the efforts... well... I've spent the last 11 years working as a journalist and making connections with developers and publishers around the world, and a lot of my former co-workers are now high ups at some of the larger publishers...

Anyway, it's a long way off. Takes a year for the IRS to approve non-profit status, and once I get money from the auction, the waiting begins...

Edited by VonGuard