IGNORED

buying new system - xbox or ps2?

angusjake

I am preparing to buy a new system (no I am not abandoning my 26/52/78/800XL/CV collection!). I am interested in hearing OBJECTIVE comments from those who have tried both (i.e. not from owners justifying their decision to buy one or the other, as we all tend to want to believe our purchase is better - remember arguing with Intellivision kids) - your thoughts?

I have for the past year been waiting for the prices to drop on the newer consoles (which they finally did) before I purchased one. I still don't have a PS2, Gamecube, or Xbox, but I have decided to go with the PS2 as my first newer gaming console. Yes, I plan on eventually owning the other two as well, when the prices drop even more, but for now the PS2 makes the most sense for me. There are a few reasons that I make such a statement.

1) I currently own a PS1 and have over sixty titles for it. Backward compatiability is nice, even though it really doesn't matter since I plan on keeping my PS1 anyway.

2) The vast library of games out there for it.

3) More adult oriented titles--this point could be argued with some of the Xbox's newer titles, but most of those have a PS2 port as well.

I still am a bit skeptical I guess of Microsoft as far as their game console goes. I remember the problems they experienced upon launch. Of course, every company sometimes has those types of problems, but Microsoft could have at least made their customer relations people on the phone act a bit nicer.

I understand that the Xbox has better technology than the PS2, but the graphics I have seen thus far have not seemed any better.

Whatever choice you make, I think that you will have loads of fun. :D

I would go with the PS2 as well. I'm a FPS fan, so this might bounce off you without effect, but the titles Medal of Honor: Frontline, Deux Ex, Half-Life (so I hear) and Hitman 2 (so I hear) are worth it alone. You also have the compatibility Scot mentioned with all original PSX games (including the dozens of arcade emulations!!).

CF

Id say go with the Xbox - in about 2 years or so Sony will be releasing the PS3 and about a year after that or that same year Xbox 2 will arrive as well. Just becuase the xbox is from microsoft doesnt mean its a bad system. The system proves it can make games look better on it rather than the PS2. If you dont have patience to wait for more and more game for the xbox then go with the PS2 whos been out about 2 years BEFORE the xbox - still xbox is a good choice :)

The hardware is garbage? Not even close. I'm not impressed with the selection of Xbox games. Of course, I'm sick of fighting games. They're all rip-offs of the same concept. Pretty graphics don't lure me in as effectively as the average consumer.

Having seen screen shots of both, I'm MUCH more impressed with Hitman 2 on the PS2 than the Xbox.

CF again

I agree with you on the load-times. A small price to pay when you're talking about great games, though. And this is more a game design fault than a hardware deficiency.

My friend Josh often complains of freeze-ups on the XBox. I don't think any current system's immune to that happening once in a while.

CF, who wishes ALL systems were cartridge-based

As soon as Income tax time rolls around, I'm picking up a gamecube. First, Sonic is on the console, and I liked what I played, and 2, there's more titles for it that I would have no problem letting my kids play, and 3) Tremors : The Videogame is going to be on it also (I have to admit that if it wasn't coming out on the GC, that would have sunk my decision.)

You can't really go wrong with either of them. I have both and I've actually have 3 Xboxs' total so I guess you know what I'd say to get. The PS2 by far has the biggest game library but - at least from my point of view - 10 or 15 may be worth owning. If you play sports games, go for the XBox mainly because all of the games are pretty much the same and you won't have to buy a multitap or memory card. I am extremely annoyed by the PS2 load times. There is no excuse for them, of course, I never really minded until I had an Xbox. BOTH of them have some killer games coming out and quite a few aren't exclusive to one system. Don't believe any of the bull about defective Xboxs and poor customer service. It's all just "internet stories". Not one of my Boxs' or any of the 15 or so friends that own one has ever frozen, but my PS2 has quite a bit and it is most likely the exception to the rule. Now Controllers are a personal opinion - I like them both because they all do what they should, but of the 2, the PS2's is the least accurate. The Xbox has some totally unique games out already or soon to be released and the graphics are much better on most multi system games. Of course, you do have crappy graphics too - Kabuki Clash :x . The XBox has 5:1 digital capabilities all the time (as long as the game is encoded) but the PS2 only has it for DVD playback and cutscenes in games. That's a big deal to me but maybe not to everyone. I prefer the XBox DVD playback because you just don't get some crappy icons on the screen that you have to figure out what they do like on the PS2. And system link on the XBox is THE shit !!! The PS2 is 2 yrs old and it is showing it's age and limitations. The new XBox bundle is the way to go. For the same price as a PS2, you get better hardware, 2 games, and you never need to buy another accessory - except for controllers. Oh and you still get the free DVD playback kit too for the XBox. Of course, there is Contra coming out on the PS2........

I would go with Game Cube. The upcoming titles are going to be unbelievable (as true for x-box…the reason I bought them all) when Metroid Prime comes out… there will be little if not any competition. X-box also does have Brute Force and Panzer Dragoon (not sure on spelling for that one) coming out so… If I was forced to choose I would go with GC, must help the under dog. I know I know my opinion probably just added to the confusion. Just buy them all and then you don’t have to think about it! :D

I have all three (four if you count the DC). These are just my opinions, your mileage may vary.

IMHO the GC has the the best controllers, and it has extremely fast load times. (CPUWIZ, you can't even read the level title screens as they go by on Pac-man World 2.) The games so far are really impressive. I would have bought it for Eternal Darkness anyway. Best games: Almost all are good, but - Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, Mario Sunshine, Smash Bros., Can't wait to see Godzilla!

The PS2 is awesome, the graphics are on a par with the GC and Xbox in the latest crop of games. Burnout 2 looks awesome, I haven't had that much fun with a racing game in a long time. I like like the controller second best. (Sorry Jaghammer). Load times aren't bad, I just started playing Albert Odyssey (sweet RPG!) on the Saturn. That really put load times in perspective. :) Best games: GTA3, Burnout2, Kingdom Hearts

I like the Xbox too. We have the fewest games for the Xbox, but the system's potential looks awesome. The controllers are huge, I love fighting games so the controller-S was a must. I'm hoping for some killer games the Xbox. Best games: Halo, DOA3. I still think of the Xbox as the Dreamcast 2.

Dreamcast Soul Calibur and House of the Dead II are still two of my all time favorites. If you can pick up a cheap DC grab it.

-Chuck

2 words - Red Faction - on the ps2 .... unholy crap, you wanna talk about bad load times? try playing that game with it loading CONSISTENTLY after every 2 minutes (or less) of play. The ps2 isnt the worst system - but it isnt the greatest. In my opinion way more than half the game put out for it are crap. Its like almost all of them are the same. Same concept, same design, same damn shit. It reminds me of the n64 where like every game looked the same and wasnt that xciting. :D

Even some of the xbox games released are crap - but then again EVERY SYSTEM when they first come out doesnt xactly have the best games released for them... why? cuz no one really knows how to utilize the systems full advantages. Thats why the xbox is doing better now than months ago, cuz the games have gotten better. :)

I still think of the Xbox as the Dreamcast 2.  

Dreamcast Soul Calibur and House of the Dead II are still two of my all time favorites. If you can pick up a cheap DC grab it.

ahh thats an xillent way of lookin at the xbox - heh now thats gunna be on my mind all the time :D

dont forget about house of the dead 3 comin out for xbox soon. :) and possibly soon after Soul Calibur 2 :)

Funny, I just played Red Faction 2 yesterday. The load times are every few minutes and annoying, but....the game is worth getting. The worst load times/frequency PS2 game I've played so far has gotta be No One Lives Forever. And add to that the controls sucked big time. No doubt about it, the XBox is coming on strong and it's still basically in it's infancy. I don't care what anyone says, MS did their homework. They thought of everything even down to those little break-away thingies on the controllers so you don't break the cable. Hell, Halo and JSRF and Dead To Rights are worth getting it for alone.

definitly the Red faction series is a nice series, but id rather play it on the PC than ps2 - especially since i HATE the ps2 controllers. ugh terrible.

Your said it right man, MS did do their homework with the xbox....cant wait till halo 2 next year :)