IGNORED

Someone broke into my van

The real question would be, would it be worth it? You can get a new atari for cheap, unless heavily moded. But making a claim will usually give you higher rates (which in the case of a 2600would make it quickly not worth it)

That's infuriating. You have the insurance in place to help out in an emergency. That's why you pay for it. Then when the time comes where you need it the rotten companies penalize you for it.:thumbsdown: :x What a total scam. I really don't see why people let these jerks get away with it for all these years.

The reason the insurance companies are able to get away with it, is that you have no choice. There are laws that require you to have insurance...so they have nothing to loose. If there was no law, the costs would actually be cheaper, cause people would either not get it, or go with someone else who wouldn't raise rates.

That's a good example of the government running stuff not being a good Idea, and costing us more.

If the OP is in the U.S.*, I'll donate a 4 switch console to the cause (if that model is acceptable). We'll call it Total-Stranger-From-The-Internet Insurance.

I know I can rustle up a set of paddles, but not sure if I have working joysticks. I don't have any spare power supplies. Anyone else want to help play not-so-secret-Santa?

* (I don't want to learn how to do international shipping at the moment and I understand that it tends to be quite expensive anyway)

Edited by BigO

If the OP is in the U.S.*, I'll donate a 4 switch console to the cause (if that model is acceptable). We'll call it Total-Stranger-From-The-Internet Insurance.

I know I can rustle up a set of paddles, but not sure if I have working joysticks. I don't have any spare power supplies. Anyone else want to help play not-so-secret-Santa?

* (I don't want to learn how to do international shipping at the moment and I understand that it tends to be quite expensive anyway)

That's real nice and all, BigO, but the real loss here are the games; where on earth are AA members ever going to find an extra copy of E.T., Combat, and Asteroids for the poor guy? Better start digging in that landfill.

The reason the insurance companies are able to get away with it, is that you have no choice. There are laws that require you to have insurance...so they have nothing to loose. If there was no law, the costs would actually be cheaper, cause people would either not get it, or go with someone else who wouldn't raise rates.

That's a good example of the government running stuff not being a good Idea, and costing us more.

The government only requires liability insurance, which doesn't cover your car getting broken into. And would you really want to drive around with a bunch of uninsured people? What happens if they hit you and cause not only property damage to your car, but maybe hurt you in the crash too? Do you think the average joe has $100k sitting around in case he causes injury to somebody and has to pay their medical bills?

The Idea is to NOT get into an accident. Truthfully, this whole "everything's paid" thing is pure crap. If you had to pay your own way, you'd certainly be a LOT more careful, or even get your own insurance...and no matter what you have for insurance, there are things it simply won't pay for (that can still happen either way, like death) so it's not really any sense in requiring it.

@Big O: I know for a fact that I don't have a spare copy of ET. I don't even have a box for the one I've got! I know it's a very common game, so every spare I get is traded off when I do my bi-monthly trade off.

@Video: Deposit $75,000 with the DPS and you don't have to buy car insurance anymore until you have an accident. It's Oklahoma law.

@Big O: I know for a fact that I don't have a spare copy of ET. I don't even have a box for the one I've got! I know it's a very common game, so every spare I get is traded off when I do my bi-monthly trade off.

@Video: Deposit $75,000 with the DPS and you don't have to buy car insurance anymore until you have an accident. It's Oklahoma law.

That's bizzarre, but anyhow. I prefer to walk everywhere, and would if I lived in town, as is, I live on the outskirts and it's literally 5 miles to the close businesses....still contemplating riding a bike or something, but eh...I'm not the fitness I used to be :P (WAIT, I AM in shape.....round is a shape :lol: )

Insurance is one of those annoying things that you grumble that you pay for month after month after month.....until you actually had to use it. Someone damaged a car I used to drive about ten years ago, and Amica paid for the repairs in two days flat.

I had to use a different kind of insurance just last month. The house I was renting a apartment in had a bad fire. Most of my stuff was okay, and everyone is fine, but my older 37 inch Sony widescreen HDTV that I used for gaming and movies was damaged. Luckily, I had rental insurance, and Amica paid me $800 for the value of the set. I'm sure I can get a even better TV for that price.

Not trying to be a wise guy,but have you ever thought about investing in a good alarm system?Leaving stuff visible in any vehicle is just screaming "ROB ME",that goes for anything.Anyway sorry to hear this.No one expects to get robbed,but that's when you DO,when you DON'T expect it!

Edited by Rik

Renter's insurance is more like comp on a car, though. I only carried comp once or twice, and it was always with collision, so I don't know what the actual cost of comp was. I do know renter's insurance is relatively cheap, and it's usually not mandatory. It's kind of the "catch all" insurance. Say if a tree falls on your car, or the garbage truck rams a trash bin into the deck lid, comp covers it.

Insurers are scammers.In my dealings I've come to the exact same conclusion.Insurers want you to pay all this money,and NOT CLAIM...EVER!.When you do claim honestly,(incident was NOT your fault)and you have a legit POLICE REPORT,they whine and whine and make threats that if you claim again,depending on company,most allow only 2 claims,they Raise your insurance rate,even if its not your fault.We pay for others peoples bad driving,and life of crime.Pay all this money and NEVER claim and NEVER get into an accident even if some F%^&^kin jerkoff rear ends you,YOU PAY if you claim and your insurer charges a surcharge which is usually double what you're paying already.So DON'T claim and your insurer will send you a nice letter saying you're CLAIM FREE, and a good CUSTOMER,and CONGRATULATIONS! :ponder: My parents were hit head on by a DRUNK driver,and had to hire a lawyer,out of their own pockets to get the benefits they they were supposed to get,that's what you pay insurance for,then you have to hire a lawyer to get them(insurers) to pay up?!?!

Edited by Rik

I once had my apartment broken into. The theives stole everything except my 2600 and my 2600 games. I started collecting atari games that day forward. If you still got the hookups, I can send you a bare bone atari console for free.....

JUST PM ME!

Edited by Chris Leach

• 2 weeks later...